PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 870 Fore-arm removal..?..

chiz_65
06-22-2012, 8:25 PM
This sucker is ON THERE. Anybody have any tips or tricks on how to remove the forearm on a Remington 870 w/out destroying the buffer tube or the threads?

WD-40 and a little patience?

06-22-2012, 8:36 PM
Do you have the correct wrench to remove the castle nut?

chiz_65
06-22-2012, 9:21 PM
No I do not. What wrench is needed?

hash browns
06-22-2012, 9:41 PM
I've found that the claw-end of a claw hammer will properly fit as an improvised 870 castle nut removal tool.

chiz_65
06-22-2012, 9:55 PM
After some googling, I've read a bunch of war stories of improvised tools people have used. lol ...Everything from pliers, to screwdrivers, to using the carrier slide. I tried Pliers, and after nearly mucking up the nut, i quit. I'll try the hammer idea though, thanks! Anythings better than dropping $20 on a wrench you'll only use once!!! I'll report back on how the hammer works out

tonelar
06-22-2012, 10:03 PM
I wandered into Tabor's today and Frank removed it with his wrench. No gun stores near you, Chiz?

adrenaline
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I just replace my forend and stock with the Hogue equivalents. I just used a needle nose plier and held it such that it kept open right where the notches were.....and twist!

BTW: They feel much nicer. I'm a Hogue fan when it comes to my guns.

mikey357
06-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Where are you at? I have the wrench that will fit several brands in 20 and 12.

Trapper
06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I have a forend removal tool in Rocklin if you're in the area.

aippi
06-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Each 870 has forend wrench built in. Remove the forend tube assembly and as it comes out of the receiver the breech bolt will of course fall off the slide. That slide fits perfectly into the notch in the forend tube nut. If the forend tube nut is on there to tight use some channel locks or pliers on the slide for leverage untill the nut is broke loose then you can simply twist it with your hand to remove the nut.

AAShooter
06-23-2012, 6:36 AM
Or, one of these is great:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_590016008_1.jpg

Spdjunkie
06-23-2012, 6:44 AM
"chiz_65",

Where are you located?

CK_32
06-23-2012, 9:56 AM
There is a castle nut holding it in like said above. But once you get that off I forgot if it's the factory or some after market ones but some forends are pretty snug and require some working sometimes.

CK_32
06-23-2012, 9:58 AM
Each 870 has forend wrench built in. Remove the forend tube assembly and as it comes out of the receiver the breech bolt will of course fall off the slide. That slide fits perfectly into the notch in the forend tube nut. If the forend tube nut is on there to tight use some channel locks or pliers on the slide for leverage untill the nut is broke loose then you can simply twist it with your hand to remove the nut.

I feel like I know what your talking about. Can you take a Procter of the piece your referring to tho?

BigDogatPlay
06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
I feel like I know what your talking about. Can you take a Procter of the piece your referring to tho?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/87270/910073234/wm_md_2530057.jpg

It's the piece that fits on top of the operating rods that the bolt rides on top of.

I have a combo wrench as well if you are in the North SF Bay Area.

aippi
06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Big dog posted the part for you. Look at the right side of the picture he posted. See how it looks like a T? That fits in to the notches in the forend tube nut.

The 870 can be broken down and cleaned with no tools other then something to push out the two trigger pins. On K-9 once my back up drop the shotgun in some really clasic Florida Muck. Then the nuckle head cycled it open which allowed that mess to get into the action. I used my belt buckle to get the pins started and then pulled them out. I broke the weapon down and washed it off in a ditch. I had no doubts it would function if needed after that washing. We did not need it, never found the pert but had a wonderful day and evening in the wilds of North Florida. Weapon was stipped and cleaned properly in the Armory the next day and was no worse for wear from it's adventure and Tram road ditch bath.

CK_32
06-23-2012, 3:25 PM

It's the piece that fits on top of the operating rods that the bolt rides on top of.

Good to know thank you. Going to try that

hossb7
06-23-2012, 4:04 PM
I used needle nose pliers and made it work - the tool would be helpful but I don't find myself removing the fore end too often.

joefrank64k
06-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Big dog posted the part for you. Look at the right side of the picture he posted. See how it looks like a T? That fits in to the notches in the forend tube nut.

The 870 can be broken down and cleaned with no tools other then something to push out the two trigger pins. On K-9 once my back up drop the shotgun in some really clasic Florida Muck. Then the nuckle head cycled it open which allowed that mess to get into the action. I used my belt buckle to get the pins started and then pulled them out. I broke the weapon down and washed it off in a ditch. I had no doubts it would function if needed after that washing. We did not need it, never found the pert but had a wonderful day and evening in the wilds of North Florida. Weapon was stipped and cleaned properly in the Armory the next day and was no worse for wear from it's adventure and Tram road ditch bath.

aippi knows what he's talking about...per usual! Just use the tool Remington includes with the 870! :)

.300 Weatherby Mag
06-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Or, one of these is great:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_590016008_1.jpg

^

This makes it easy... I have one.. Great tool.

Tghgy2
06-24-2012, 1:39 PM
This sucker is ON THERE. Anybody have any tips or tricks on how to remove the forearm on a Remington 870 w/out destroying the buffer tube or the threads?

WD-40 and a little patience?

You can use needle nosed pliers to remove the nut its easy look it up on you tube if you need to see it done first

CK_32
06-24-2012, 2:12 PM
Tried that bolt carrier trick works like a charm no reason for buying tools for this

BigDogatPlay
06-24-2012, 4:41 PM
If I might ask this, can anyone recommend a forward grip that has a handle on it. I'd love to have that on my 870 Express Tactical. Thanks bros.

If you are thinking in terms of a vertical fore grip off the bottom of the fore end, I'd recommend against it. When you get really going on cycling the gun you'll likely end up torquing your action bars. Do that and you'll be replacing the action bar assembly.

What you might consider is a fore end with a railed section on the bottom and then using a Magpul AFG (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/88).

Personally I think such a device is unneeded on a shotgun you may need to fight with, but personal preference will always prevail.

chiz_65
06-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! The back end of the hammer worked perfectly for me. It fit right in and I got it loose enough to where the needle nose pliers finished the job (before the hammer trick, i was destroying the nut with the pliers).

negolien
06-28-2012, 4:54 AM
I used a BBQ steak fork lol fit perfectly.