PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Iron Sights

TimothyW
06-22-2012, 4:40 PM
So I want to use my AR-15 for the CMP qualification shoot which requires iron sights. So I bought a set of UAG Tactical Precision Machined Aluminum QD Weaver Picatinny Front And Rear Combo and headed to the range today. I am not real happy with my purchase at this point but since I am new with the AR-15 maybe I am doing something wrong. The only adjustment for height is on the front sight - and I hit one of the stops so there is no more adjustment remaining the direction I need to go to get on paper.

So maybe I should have come here for advice on buying a nice set of Iron sights that has a fully adjustable rear sight - both height and windage as well as a front sight that has the height adjustment - seems that combo would give me the most versatility.

Can anyone reccomend a set of sights? Or if you are familiar with the sight set I bought maybe a suggestion on what I did wrong?

Appreciate the help!

SocomM4
06-22-2012, 4:46 PM
Are you using the small aperture on the rear? And Are you mounting the front sight to a gas block or quad rail hand guard ? Gas blocks and rails have 2 different heights usually. So you need the correct front sight.

LMT
Troy
Magpul
MIdwest
YHM

They all make a good set .

tomd1584
06-22-2012, 4:51 PM
You shouldn't need an adjustable rear sight to zero your rifle. Is the front mounted on a railed gas block? If so its possible the gas lock is not same plane as your upper receiver

the next step is to buy a quality set of irons. those are for airsoft.

rero360
06-22-2012, 4:52 PM
Well, from the looks of it, those are intended to be used on an airsoft gun, not a real rifle.

As to quality irons, and you really do want quality, I would recommend Troy, Daniel Defense and LMT. There are probably a few others (KAC, but super pricey and only flip up) but escape my mind.

Basically, if the price is to good to be true, then it is, just airsofter chinese junk.

Now keep in mind, normally you use the front sight to adjust the up and down of your impact for zeroing and then its self alone, and you use the rear sight for all other adjustments.

If you are going to be using the irons as your primary sighting system, no scope, then I would look at the LMT or DD fixed rear sight, it has both the windage and elevation adjustments, where most flip up rear sights only have windage. Keep in mind the flip ups are meant as back up to scopes, thus just to be used in emergencies and not really meant for long range work, hence the lack of elevation.

russ69
06-22-2012, 4:53 PM
The cheapest way is to get an A2 style clamp on rear sight and a front that is a match for that height. Or get a regular carrying handle with the A2 sights. Your rifle will not be a service rifle in those configurations but you might squeak by in local matches. Otherwise you are shooting a match rifle (not a problem).

motorwerks
06-22-2012, 4:55 PM
I could be wrong but I think in order to be able to use an AR in CMP its supposed to look like an A1, A2, or M4 so in other words I think you need to get a carry handle and run a normal front sight tower thats on the barrel like this one. I dont think they will just let anyone show up with any old AR otherwise you would have full on race style guns showing up to run against M1 Garands

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWMrFmdftRoqkGUA_c9-mVMcn78OIz87vllpcDYvDoETPWt_903tHjnOiu8A

Dakine_surf
06-22-2012, 4:55 PM
Yeah those sights are not good at all, I dont have any experience with them, but my general rule is for stuff like sights, spend the money... a set of troy battle sights will be infinitely better.

That being said, you should be on paper. Since you are not it makes me think that you might have them mounted incorrectly, or you might be using a railed gas block, in which case you need a set of sights designed to work with a gas block height rail.

A pic of your rifle would help.

TimothyW
06-22-2012, 5:40 PM
Are you using the small aperture on the rear? And Are you mounting the front sight to a gas block or quad rail hand guard ? Gas blocks and rails have 2 different heights usually. So you need the correct front sight.

LMT
Troy
Magpul
MIdwest
YHM

They all make a good set .

Hi: I have a free float handguard with a pcatinny rail. Front site mounted on top of the free float and the rear at the top of the upper. The build was carbine length w/M4 Feed ramp free float with quad picatinny config.

707electrician
06-22-2012, 5:44 PM
I could be wrong but I think in order to be able to use an AR in CMP its supposed to look like an A1, A2, or M4 so in other words I think you need to get a carry handle and run a normal front sight tower thats on the barrel like this one. I dont think they will just let anyone show up with any old AR otherwise you would have full on race style guns showing up to run against M1 Garands

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWMrFmdftRoqkGUA_c9-mVMcn78OIz87vllpcDYvDoETPWt_903tHjnOiu8A

This. For service rifle matches the gun must be configured as it would be issued in the military. Check the rule book

TimothyW
06-22-2012, 5:51 PM
This is all good info. Thanks! I am chaning my thinking - I can borrow a Garrand from my brother. Buy some practice ammo and to get familiar with the M1. I'll ditch the cheap sights and go back to my scope for the AR. I'd rather not try and push acceptance of a sighting system for the match - I am looking forward to adding a Garrand to my safe. I shot with my brothers garrand a couple months back. What a great rifle. I have had the bug to get one every since.

high_revs
06-22-2012, 6:13 PM
do yo have a gas block where mount the front sight? i had this happen to me where I bought a regular folding front sight and was running out of adjustment (post was really high). it turns out I needed a front sight that mounts on a gas block.

my rock river arms doesn't run a full rail up to the gas glock. I had to buy something like this (but was exactly like this) that mounts on the gas block with a small picatinny rail.

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/37.png

the led farmer
06-22-2012, 6:37 PM
LMT L8 (http://www.lmtstore.com/accessories/sights/tactical-adjustable-rear-sight.html)

windage, elevation. . .it's got it all.

oh, and use this:

RevisedImprovedBattlesightZero (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/328143_RIBZ_____Revised_Improved_Battlesight_Zero_ _now_with_down_loadable_50_yard_zeroing_target_.ht ml)

russ69
06-22-2012, 8:33 PM

Service rifles and match rifles shoot side by side in most matches. The national championships are the same way. You just can't shoot service rifle records using a match rifle. The exception is service rifle only matches or leg matches for points. At any rate 99 times out of 100 you can shoot a match rifle in highpower matches.
The national highpower champion usually shoots a match rifle but not always, so yes Garands and space/race guns shoot side by side.