PDA

View Full Version : To Feedback or not to Feedback?

ryker411
06-22-2012, 1:50 PM
What are your opinions for leaving negative feedback?
Here is the hypothetical:

"I had a deal with someone in the private firearms section (not contested by anyone in the thread / fair and square "ill take it" for posted list price). Made a time and place to meet for transfer and then later I received a text from him stating that he sold the gun to someone else for a higher price."

stix213
06-22-2012, 1:53 PM
You weren't on your way already were you? If not, I'd leave it alone.

ryker411
06-22-2012, 2:06 PM
I guess I agree with leaving it alone. I would be really bummed to get negative feedback and it wasn't anything premeditated or deceiving.

trob
06-22-2012, 2:08 PM
That's shady. I would leave a neutral for that.

I don't really blame him for taking a higher price, but you had a deal all worked out and he sold it out from under you.

A deal is a deal.

BruinGuy
06-22-2012, 2:17 PM
I'm going to have to disagree about "leaving it alone."

I think this is exactly what negative feedback is for. If you've already agreed to a price with the seller, posted "I'll Take It" in the thread, and set up the deal, and then they basically auction it to someone who PM'd and said, "psst, I'll give you $20 more if you sell to me" that's a violation of the site's seller rules, breaking a deal, and really breaking a contract. I'm not suggesting a lawsuit here, but if posting negative iTrader feedback is going too far for something like this, then what is it good for?

If those who deal in this way don't get negative feedback for it, they'll just keep doing it, and the sales forums will be a joke (they already have plenty of problems of just this sort). This happens far too often.

On the other side of it, posting "I'll take it" and then PM'ing a seller asking for a price other than their asking price might be negative feedback worthy too - "I'll take it" is for when the price is agreed to, either via discussion with the seller or by meeting the posted asking price.

G60
06-22-2012, 3:05 PM
If the seller agreed to sell it to you and agreed to a meeting time and place, I wouldn't just let it go.

You may have had to make accomidations in your personal or professional life for this flake.

cannon
06-22-2012, 3:13 PM
I'm in favor of negative feedback. A deal was agreed to and the seller welched. If the sellers word is no good others should be warned.

SNCaliber
06-22-2012, 3:22 PM
negative feedback should be given when its due, that sounds like its a situation where its due

fighterpilot562
06-22-2012, 3:22 PM
I agree, you should leave a neg. That is not cool or right

Oceanbob
06-22-2012, 3:51 PM
What are your opinions for leaving negative feedback?
Here is the hypothetical:

"I had a deal with someone in the private firearms section (not contested by anyone in the thread / fair and square "ill take it" for posted list price). Made a time and place to meet for transfer and then later I received a text from him stating that he sold the gun to someone else for a higher price."

I would report it to a MODERATOR per the rules section. The MODERATOR will give the guy a much needed warning.

Per the rules:

Negative feedback should be reserved for transactions where one party has lost either money or goods, or the delivered product is substantially different than advertised. Positive feedback is appropriate for a transaction with good communications between they parties involved and that completes in a timely manner. Neutral feedback is for everything else, including transactions which are not completed. Use the comment section to describe why you gave the rating you did. Retaliatory feedback is not tolerated and should be reported to a moderator.

If this was a new member you might cut him some slack. If he's been around and has lots of positive itrader feedback then either contact a moderator or leave neutral feedback. Since you didn't lose any money, a Negative rating isn't needed.

ryker411
06-22-2012, 4:04 PM
I would report it to a MODERATOR per the rules section. The MODERATOR will give the guy a much needed warning.

Per the rules:

Negative feedback should be reserved for transactions where one party has lost either money or goods, or the delivered product is substantially different than advertised. Positive feedback is appropriate for a transaction with good communications between they parties involved and that completes in a timely manner. Neutral feedback is for everything else, including transactions which are not completed. Use the comment section to describe why you gave the rating you did. Retaliatory feedback is not tolerated and should be reported to a moderator.

If this was a new member you might cut him some slack. If he's been around and has lots of positive itrader feedback then either contact a moderator or leave neutral feedback. Since you didn't lose any money, a Negative rating isn't needed.

Thank you very much for this post Oceanbob.
Everything is well said and straight forward. Every question I had in my mind has been resolved.

Mr. Meeseeks
06-22-2012, 4:08 PM
IDK, this could go both ways.

Not saying you were, but what kind of a buyer did he perceive you as? Did you come of flaky or pushy? Where you trying to low ball him or try to convince him you'd pay in installments? Did you try to offer some piece of crap for partial trade?

Just saying.

RazzB7
06-22-2012, 4:12 PM
I guess I'm kinda black & white.

A man gives his word.

/thread

ryker411
06-22-2012, 4:19 PM
to answer Loosewreck:

"Ill take it" for listed price.
PM'd immediately with cell #.
Date and Time set through text, his requested PPT location

Mr. Meeseeks
06-22-2012, 4:43 PM
to answer Loosewreck:

"Ill take it" for listed price.
PM'd immediately with cell #.
Date and Time set through text, his requested PPT location

If this is all that took place and you didn't loose time from work or anything else other than pride, maybe its best to just move on and keep shopping.

Now if for some reason you were cheated out of something, then it would be a good reason to leave negative feed back.

I posted what I wrote earlier because it isn't unheard of to get bad buyers.

cebuvfr
06-22-2012, 4:57 PM
I'm in favor of negative feedback. A deal was agreed to and the seller welched. If the sellers word is no good others should be warned.

This!

bigmike82
06-22-2012, 5:05 PM
Per those guidelines, negative feedback is inappropriate.

Neutral, however, is not.

vintagearms
06-22-2012, 5:19 PM
Your only as good as your word. I'd leave negative feedback.

It would be a different story if the parties hadn't cemented a mutually agreed upon price.

calif 15-22
06-22-2012, 5:24 PM
I say leave negative or at the very least neutral. I had the same thing happen to me by a guy here with lots of positive feedback. List a gun. I said i'll take it. He then was out of town then on vacation then the gun is listed on gunbroker with a price $200 over. I bid on gun broker the price we agreed on calguns but did not make reserve. PM'd on gunbrokers and calguns with no response.

If you list something then decide to keep i can understand that. If you list it then someone offers you more at a min you should go back to the first guy and tell him whats what

I didn't leave neg feedback but updated my signature :cool:

anyracoon
06-22-2012, 8:03 PM
Had a simular problem with a seller a month or so back.
Told him I would take an item he was selling, asked for a shipped price with PayPal. was given a price, I said fine and asked him to forward his PayPal address. He than wanted to confirm my shipping address. Forwarded him that and did not hear from him for several days. After several requests he tells me the item was sold! So what says the Hive? Should I have posted neutral feedback or ?

alfred1222
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
I post negative if that happened to me. You gotta keepit fair to thenbuyes, and your seller didnt

cannon
06-23-2012, 7:06 AM
After reading the rules. I have to revise my earlier opinion.

Leave neutral feedback with an explanation. People who break their word should be known.

M1Kev
06-23-2012, 7:13 AM
Neutral feedback and let the mods know what happened. It is an honor system here and we should all abide by it. If you sell for a price and someone accepts your asking price, selling it out from under the buyer for more money after a deal is made is just shady and wrong. This is a marketplace not an auction house.

Yemff
06-23-2012, 10:48 AM
wow I guess a lot of people here are ok with getting screwed. If the seller agrees at a price and sets a time and place and then flakes, that's shady and other people need to know that's the kind of person they might be dealing with. Whether you lost time at work is irrelevant, someone else down the road might not be as fortunate.

Riddler
06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I agree with mostly everyone here. I would personally leave negative feedback since the seller agreed to meet the buyer and then flaked wanting to sell to someone who offered more. Scandalous

ucsdryder
06-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Negative feedback without question. As a possible future buyer or seller to that kin of individual I would want to know if he was the type of guy that would go back on his word. In my opinion, you owe it to the calgun community to let us know when we are dealing with a person who values a couple bucks over his word!

b18bturboek9
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I would be bummed on the deal falling through like that, but if he can get more from someone else he should. I think he should of told you well I have another buyer for a higher price if you can match that or better then I'd sell to you since you already had arrangements set up with him. I'd just say F*@% it thats my 2 cents.

kmca
06-23-2012, 1:25 PM
I would be bummed on the deal falling through like that, but if he can get more from someone else he should. I think he should of told you well I have another buyer for a higher price if you can match that or better then I'd sell to you since you already had arrangements set up with him. I'd just say F*@% it thats my 2 cents.

Are you serious? When the seller agreed to a time and place to meet, he agreed to a "contract". Where is the integrity in that?

Fate
06-23-2012, 1:52 PM
I would light him up with negative feedback and contact the mods. Then I'd secretly thank my lucky stars for not dealing with the guy.

People that are willing to screw you over one way will also do it another. Like selling you something that's broken, faulty or has been seriously damaged in ways not always visible to the naked eye, all the while telling you it's been a safe queen with less than 40 rounds down the pipe.

b18bturboek9
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
KMCA to each his own, I be pissed I didnt get the gun I wanted but like I said if he could sell it for more then hey at least give the original buyer a chance to buy it at the same price the other guy got it for. So if I was looking to buy lets say a rare 1911 off of you, and say we talk about the time and meet up place and you get another buyer willing to buy it at a few hundred more then what you had asked for. I'd be like at least give me a heads up that theres another buyer and this is the price he was willing to buy it for and if u are I'd be willing to buy it at that price then hey its all mine. Anyone would get the most they can for what they are selling so I'm on both sides i just think the seller should have man'd up and told the original buyer what was going on.

me109g4
06-24-2012, 12:19 PM
you enter an agreement with someone to buy something and you both agree to a price that should be the end of it. For the seller to continue to shop around to get a better price is reprehensible. If a car dealer or a gun dealer did that to anyone here you people would be ripping thier nuts off, why is it different because he is a forum member?? Is it ok if one of your own screws you?? By doing what this seller did shows that his word is worthless,, Grow a set people, the seller is a DB, plain and simple, negtive feedback all the way.

gunnerstuff
06-24-2012, 1:49 PM
At least you didn't send money and got scammed (by a fellow calgunner)! I'm not holding a grudge or anything :rolleyes:

Press Check
06-24-2012, 2:05 PM
I'd leave a neutral.

On a side note, are Moderators capable of removing negative feedback that would be considered retaliatory?

m03
06-24-2012, 2:07 PM
Bust a deal, face the wheel.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/sifuphiltoo/bust_a_deal_wheel.jpg

calif 15-22
06-25-2012, 7:22 AM
you enter an agreement with someone to buy something and you both agree to a price that should be the end of it. For the seller to continue to shop around to get a better price is reprehensible. If a car dealer or a gun dealer did that to anyone here you people would be ripping thier nuts off, why is it different because he is a forum member?? Is it ok if one of your own screws you?? By doing what this seller did shows that his word is worthless,, Grow a set people, the seller is a DB, plain and simple, negtive feedback all the way.

Agreed!

You list something for a fair price and someone says "I'll take it"
You PM each other and setup a time and place to meet.
You complete the transaction and get positive feedback.
Easy . . .anything less is lame!

If you want to have bidders go to Gunbroker not Calguns!
If you listed it to low, then the buyer gets a deal.
If you list it to high and someone buys it, then you get a deal.
Everyone is happy in this scenerio.

But to list it, then someone says I'll take it, then to get a PM from someone else offering more, is just F'ing Lame in my opinion. Not only lame for the seller but also for the other buyer. I say out them both!

Or better yet . . .just tell us who the seller is so we can avoid him :cool:

spdrcr
06-25-2012, 9:36 AM
Oceanbob provided the correct answers.

Those saying to leave negative feedback have either not read the site policy or choose not to follow it when becoming emotional over a transaction. I understand the idea of "A word is a bond" and "a deal is a deal" but if you have not lost your own goods or money, negative feedback is not appropriate.

I would say neutral feedback is warranted and I have left the same in similar situations. I do tend to notify the other party in advance and explain the reason so they are not surprised when they receive the feedback. Sometime they understand, sometimes they don't. However, it is the reason we have the iTrader system in place.

On a side note, are Moderators capable of removing negative feedback that would be considered retaliatory?

Yes, moderators can remove inappropriate/retaliatory feedback.

SURVIVOR619
06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Offer and acceptance are the essential elements to effectuate an agreement/contract...

Considering CGN marketplace rules, of which I personally respect, I'd leave the neutral and a comment. Hopefully the next buyer can seal the deal with necessary affirmations.

And, sorry OP, bummer when a plan doesn't come together!

Sticka
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I guess I'm kinda black & white.

A man gives his word.

/thread

:iamwithstupid:

USMC 82-86
06-25-2012, 1:15 PM
If every thing you said is so, that sucks. To me he/she gave his/her word and made a deal. Unfortunately according to the rules a neutral rating is what is warranted. I think at the very least I would let a moderator know what happened. I am guessing at least some of the communication was by pm and not all by cell.

Asking for more money, up front, or letting someone know you received a higher offer, prior to any deal being made, is one thing. Having a deal in place, with a price, time, and place to meet, and then be informed it was sold for a higher price is not acceptable in my opinion. If that is the deal, they were looking for, they should place the ad on a site that takes the highest bid for a item.