PDA

View Full Version : Costco's BigHorn 19ECB safe security flaw announced

af240z
06-22-2012, 1:49 PM
Hey guys, I am editing this post after speaking with a representative from Rhino Metals a few minutes ago. They contacted me because of this thread. They requested that I take out the serial # ranges and the URL for customer protection. According to the rep, all current Rhino Safe/Big Horn safes being sold are not affected by this issue.

NOT ALL BIG HORN/RHINO METAL SAFES ARE AFFECTED

If you bought a Big Horn/Rhine Metal safe earlier, please call 888-751-4244, 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week to verify.

The URL is showing a discrepancy with the serial # validation, so they have taken it offline, and they are looking into this issue, and advise calling the 888 number above.

If you have a Rhino Metal/Big Horn safe that you bought prior to couple of weeks ago, call 888-751-4244 and tell them your serial number to verify.

ckhb
06-22-2012, 2:16 PM
Too bad they don't tell you how to fix it now instead you have to wait while they send you the material and have your safe sit around vulnerable...

Montu
06-22-2012, 2:27 PM
Too bad they don't tell you how to fix it now instead you have to wait while they send you the material and have your safe sit around vulnerable...

isn't that better then them telling the whole world how to get into your safe. Until you fix it?

safewaysecurity
06-22-2012, 2:35 PM
Thanks for posting. I'll need to take a look at this when I get home.

af240z
06-22-2012, 2:48 PM

If they did, it would easily open up a bigger hole for them to fix.

TheBest
06-22-2012, 4:56 PM
Interesting, all Bighorn brand safes. Good thing I didn't get the 19ECB I was planning on buying. Upgrading to the Rhino XP28EL-D for $1700.

cranemech
06-22-2012, 6:02 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. My safe falls within the serial numbers listed, so I went to the website and entered the info as requested. They say my safe is already protected, no issues.:)

Madpyro
06-22-2012, 6:30 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. My safe falls within the serial numbers listed, so I went to the website and entered the info as requested. They say my safe is already protected, no issues.:)

The same thing happened with mine. The website said I'm good to go. Called the Cust. service line in the letter, she took my address and said they would send out the part? You might want to give them a call!

Ubermcoupe
06-22-2012, 7:41 PM
Got the same email today. I’ll have to dig out my info and see where I fall in this.

DRUNKENMASTER
06-22-2012, 8:00 PM
I didn't get that email. I checked the serial number on my 19ECB and its not on that list. Thanks.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-22-2012, 9:41 PM
I just ordered a 19ECB a week ago. I hope it isn't on the recall. I haven't even received it yet!

TheBest
06-22-2012, 10:56 PM
I just ordered a 19ECB a week ago. I hope it isn't on the recall. I haven't even received it yet!
Sounds like it is. Through June 2012! Cancel that order...

cranemech
06-23-2012, 4:03 PM
The same thing happened with mine. The website said I'm good to go. Called the Cust. service line in the letter, she took my address and said they would send out the part? You might want to give them a call!

Thanks, will do.

jchappies
06-23-2012, 7:03 PM

Mine said it was good to go too but i might have to give them a call monday too just to make sure

RudyN
06-23-2012, 7:18 PM
My part is on the way to me.

af240z
06-23-2012, 9:06 PM
Originally Posted by Madpyro

That was my issue as well - according to the emailed serial numbers, my safe is affected. According to website serial check, it isn't. I called, spoke with the operator, and within 5 minutes they informed me that the fix it kit is on the way.

It's probably something silly, and given the company's delivery time frame, overall quality and function of the safe for the value - I am very impressed. $570 for a shipped 410 lbs safe with a 160 lb door and fireproof rating is pretty good.

The fact that they identified an issue and contacted me right away gives me faith in the company

edrex
06-24-2012, 2:11 AM
It's probably something silly, and given the company's delivery time frame, overall quality and function of the safe for the value - I am very impressed. $570 for a shipped 410 lbs safe with a 160 lb door and fireproof rating is pretty good.

The fact that they identified an issue and contacted me right away gives me faith in the company
This.

Sounds like it is. Through June 2012! Cancel that order...
Not this.

TheBest
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you get what you pay for. I could get into any chinese safe in 2 minutes with a cordless drill and sawsall.
Of course, you're using power tools. Unless you're willing to spend thousands for a TL-rated safe, you can get into them.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Slightly off topic but I actually prefer having two smaller safes (Smaller meaning 400 - 500 lbs and bolted down) in two different parts of the house rather than one monstrous one. That's why I went with the 19ECB to complement my other existing safe which is about the same size.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you get what you pay for. I could get into any chinese safe in 2 minutes with a cordless drill and sawsall.

No offense, but I doubt it.

jchappies
06-25-2012, 8:19 AM
I called this morning and they are sending me the part.

Sewey
06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
In response to some of the comments and questions regarding the Bighorn security alert: All Bighorn safes currently being sold through authorized dealers, including Costco.com are OK. Yes, the 19ECB currently on sale at Costco.com is OK. Not all 19ECB were affected. The Costco email's were sent to only those customers with a potential for having an affected safe. However, to eliminate any doubt, call 1-888-751-4244, regardless of where you purchased the safe.. The customer service rep will check your Serial Number against the master database and determine if your safe needs the new part. We are looking into apparent discrepancy in the online database and will get it resolved asap. For anyone that went through the online database and was told that your serial number was not affected, we ask that you call 1-888-751-4244 for re-verification. Until further notice, do not use the online database link listed in the body of the notification. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

yuccales
06-25-2012, 1:14 PM

And this proves what?

dls
06-25-2012, 2:04 PM
The flaw has got to be something simple, Like hitting # 3 times on the lock or taking the battery on and off quickly, opens it or something. It's not like the costumer is going to do major surgery on it, has to be a simple problem, and fix.

I'm just curious.

af240z
06-25-2012, 2:07 PM

A common criminal breaking into my house isn't going to spend some time trying to break into a 650 lb safe (ammo + guns) when they can easily steal easier stuff, like a ps3 or xbox. It's a lot easier to sell an xbox and ps3 too.

I'm quite happy with my bighorn safe, and the company is on top of their stuff regarding taking care of customers. Given their service level when they delivered (i got the safe in 8-9 days, and the guy dropped it off in my garage (on an incline to boot)), and their problem resolution, I'd buy their products again.

mr821907
06-28-2012, 7:54 AM
:popcorn:

af240z
07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Did any of you guys receive the parts kit? I haven't seen anything yet, despite it should've been delivered a few weeks ago

Glock-a-mole
07-14-2012, 9:19 PM
I called a couple weeks ago, but haven't received anything either.

See update in following post.

Glock-a-mole
07-18-2012, 8:14 PM
BTT for those interested... the replacement part arrived today along with instructions. Should be a relatively quick task (10 to 15 minutes).

Xerxes
08-04-2012, 8:08 PM
If anyone has this flawed safe can they send me their address and the time of day they are not home, or better yet when they are going on vacation?

Coan someone else please send me what the flaw is and how the safe can be easily opened in ten seconds without any power tools, maybe with nothing more than a special karate chop in the right location?

smokingloon
08-04-2012, 9:38 PM
If anyone has this flawed safe can they send me their address and the time of day they are not home, or better yet when they are going on vacation?

Coan someone else please send me what the flaw is and how the safe can be easily opened in ten seconds without any power tools, maybe with nothing more than a special karate chop in the right location?

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500