PDA

View Full Version : AR15/30 AR Caliber.WTH is going on

Coyotegunner
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
I have been blessed with many guns in different calibers.Reload for all of them and love it.I have been around AR15s,M16s for close to 25 years.So as I get older other calibers go on the need to purchase list as cash is available.As this inquiry goes,I own a Aero/Armalite in 308 as well.

The July 2012 NRA American Hunter has a article(How Far Is To Far) using the 30 RAR.I became fascinated by the calibers ballistics a couple years ago.Yes in a AR15 platform,lighter than a AR10.It is not a 308. I do nto want say 6.5 or 6.8.I am not bashing them.I just prefer 30 cal.

Problem is Remington factory told me in a phone conversation about 3 months ago they were going to let the 30AR burn out.That red flags big time due to them being the main manufacturer of brass and loaded ammo.
Problem 2-I just got off the phone with DPMS,who makes the Rem 30 AR.They say the lead time is out 11-12 months.Upon further speaking with them,he is unsure if we will see them.
So I am still interested,but feel my hands have been slapped away.
If you are using one of these,I would like to hear from you.PM would be great.
If you have another caliber,that you are proud of feel free to start another thread and not cloud mine.

tomd1584
06-22-2012, 12:46 PM
so you want responses, but via PM only? otherwise No other comments allowed in your thread? thats not very nice.

bloodhawke83
06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Go with the Russian 7.62x39 round, its 31cal but still in the 30cal family. I don't have one yet but I see people using the Adams Arms piston kit on it instead of the standard direct impingement system. 122gr bullet.

There is also 300 AAC Blackout, its 30cal. 7.62×35mm. 125gr-220gr bullet

I'm sure there are other 30cals for the AR-15 but they use weird names that is easily overlooked.

tomd1584
06-22-2012, 1:19 PM
Go with the Russian 7.62x39 round, its 31cal but still in the 30cal family. I don't have one yet but I see people using the Adams Arms piston kit on it instead of the standard direct impingement system. 122gr bullet.

I'm sure there are other 30cals for the AR-15 but they use weird names that is easily overlooked.

you obviously didn't read the OP:

If you have another caliber,that you are proud of feel free to start another thread and not cloud mine.

bloodhawke83
06-22-2012, 1:28 PM
you obviously didn't read the OP:

Sure did, gave him options to pick from.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-22-2012, 1:44 PM
so you want responses, but via PM only? otherwise No other comments allowed in your thread? thats not very nice.

Yeah, that kind of defeats the purpose of a board. I understand that you don't want this to turn into a discussion on other rounds, but you really should lighten up some.

Other rounds aside, I think they may well let the .30 Remington AR die out. It had some problems from the get-go. Especially with the name. The .30 Remington already exists, and has for over 100 years. Tacking the letters "AR" on to the end of it turned it into a lawsuit waiting to happen. Way to easy to confuse things, and there are still many .30 Remington guns out there. I also think that it was trying to find a niche in an already overcrowded field. With all of the other AR compatible rounds out there right now, getting traction for a obscure .30 caliber round was just more than the new rounds could overcome. Remember about 8-10 years ago, when every company and their uncle was coming out with new short, ultra-short, and über-ultra-short magnum cartridges in every conceivable caliber under the sun? Most of them served no useful purpose, and have since died off. When was the last time you heard of anybody demanding a .14 caliber super-short ultra magnum? The same thing seems to be happening to the .30 Remington AR. There are already things that occupy the niche it was supposed to fill. And they do the same thing that it does, with larger followings. Both the 7.62x39 and the .300 Blackout are there. And they are proving to be much more popular with the marketplace. Ultimately, that is what determines which chambering stay, and which go.

-Mb

sharxbyte
06-22-2012, 9:55 PM

Have one, love it, but the only bolts I've never heard break are the ones by LMT, and super bolt.

DannyInSoCal
06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
If you love .30cal -

You gotta find an AMT 1911 7" long slide chambered in .30carbine.

It's a real dragon fire baller.......

Coyotegunner
06-23-2012, 9:49 AM
Not looking just for PMs if it looked that way on my original post.Sorry.I just would like to hear from someone that has owned or still owns one.It did seem to come as a niche caliber as some of you suggested.It will probably fade out.I Just can not see the use of say the 300 AAC which is available.It was designed for close quarters with a suppressor.From a reloaders standpoint the 30 AR looked pretty good and would fit in a AR15 platform.I had thought years ago,the 22 Hornet was dead,and I see now a 17 Hornet is availabe.Like you said Gun Toting about all the 30s coming out a few years ago.I ended up with 300RUMs and have never been sorry.The super shorts,well I personally do not know anyone that has one.
Looks like I may have to put a 7.62x39 on the WTB list.

sharxbyte
06-24-2012, 8:00 AM

DEFINITELY invest in an LMT bolt. It will run you $155, but you my talk them into free shipping. Check with Amphibian on AR-15.com .

He shoots with one in his RAW (select fire 7.5 inch) and has only broken the extractor. hes been using it for more than 5 years He has pictures of every other brand that he's broken.

skale240
06-25-2012, 7:02 AM
Not looking just for PMs if it looked that way on my original post.Sorry.I just would like to hear from someone that has owned or still owns one.It did seem to come as a niche caliber as some of you suggested.It will probably fade out.I Just can not see the use of say the 300 AAC which is available.It was designed for close quarters with a suppressor.From a reloaders standpoint the 30 AR looked pretty good and would fit in a AR15 platform.I had thought years ago,the 22 Hornet was dead,and I see now a 17 Hornet is availabe.Like you said Gun Toting about all the 30s coming out a few years ago.I ended up with 300RUMs and have never been sorry.The super shorts,well I personally do not know anyone that has one.

Read up here: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73274

This may clear up a few things regarding the 300blk. Definitely a more versatile cartridge than people think. All you need is a barrel, that's it.

Coyotegunner
06-25-2012, 8:36 AM
Thanks for your input folks.Thanks for the bolt warning also.I just looked at the guys forum with the chipped bolt(YIKES).That is a good write up on the link skale gave us about the 300AAC.Looks like I need to get on the AR15.com site.Keep the info coming please.

topweldor
08-02-2012, 6:24 AM
I have one, and it is a great shooter. It is to bad Remington is not going to produce it anymore. I usually shoot 150 gr corlok, it groups around 1" at 200 yards. Plenty accurate for hunting. The 123 mc shoots well also.