PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a fake dd mk18 ris II ?

underworld
06-22-2012, 7:43 AM
Im planning to buy a DD rail Need to know how to spot a fake dd mk18 risII. Thanks.

luchador768
06-22-2012, 7:57 AM
Are u shopping on eBay?

underworld
06-22-2012, 8:13 AM
Not sure yet if im getting it on egay. Im afraid i might get rip off if i dont buy from an authorized dealer.so might as well have an idea first how to spot a fake.

luchador768
06-22-2012, 8:20 AM
I'd avoid eBay, way too many airsoft knock-offs.

EvolutionGSR
06-22-2012, 8:25 AM
Run it over with your car. If it bends, its fake. Haha half sarcasm....

underworld
06-22-2012, 8:26 AM
Not sure yet if im getting it on egay. Im afraid i might get rip off if i dont buy from an authorized dealer.so might as well have an idea first how to spot a fake.

I'd avoid eBay, way too many airsoft knock-offs.

Yup youre right...to risky on egay. Well sometimes theres really good deals here in our forum but need to learn first how To know the real ones.

underworld
06-22-2012, 8:28 AM
Run it over with your car. If it bends, its fake. Haha half sarcasm....

Il do that if im try to have the battle scar looks .lol

tomd1584
06-22-2012, 8:44 AM
Just buy from a reputable source instead of trying to save $40

tuna quesadilla
06-22-2012, 8:44 AM
Just buy it from a reputable dealer...

deviljon
06-22-2012, 9:26 AM
Reputable dealer..

and stop calling it egay.

cabinetguy
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
fakes are not likely to be sold in a gunstore, if you are concerned go to your LGS rather than over the internet

Darthbauer
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
If you get one from ebay and it's fake but the auction says it's for a real one you can instantly get your money back if you don't take over 30 days to get around to it. I've never been ripped off on ebay but have on other sites. Learn how to use ebay.

underworld
06-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Yup i guess il go to my LGS first :)

sharxbyte
06-22-2012, 10:49 AM
as long as I get something that's pretty good quality, and up to spec, I dont care if its a clone, when I'm saving money. if brand names matter to you, then go buy the pretty cake, but I care more about whether it works. Just my 2c

metalliman545
06-22-2012, 10:57 AM
What's egay? I've never heard of that site before.

Dhena81
06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Yup i guess il go to my LGS first :)

Good luck your not going to find it.

Be sure to checkout

BCM
SKD tactical
Operational parts
Rainer arms
exile machine

MXRider
06-22-2012, 11:20 AM
as long as I get something that's pretty good quality, and up to spec, I dont care if its a clone, when I'm saving money. if brand names matter to you, then go buy the pretty cake, but I care more about whether it works. Just my 2c

:rolleyes:

PEBKAC
06-22-2012, 1:06 PM
Typically "fake" means "airsoft". Look for little pin blocking the gas tube channel near where the rail meets the receiver, or the hole that once housed said pin (as shown in these pictures (http://www.365airsoft.com/airsoft-free-float-7-rail-handguard-p-512.html)).

That is the big tipoff from a design standpoint and should make weeding out most fakes pretty easy.

If you are actually holding the rail, it's usually also really easy to tell. The metal typically feels...wrong, like some kind of pot metal. Machining will also be less precise and the finish won't feel the same. The ones I've handled have had fairly obvious machining flaws, and the finish definitely didn't feel like any Type 3 hard coat anodizing I've felt before. Heck, a lot of the time the fake will even "sound" different than the real deal when lightly tapped with a hard object. Finally, weigh the rail and barrel nut and compare to manufacturer given weights. They likely won't match up.

That's just my experience so YMMV.

Regarding Ebay, general Ebay savvy is that if the price is too low, it's probably too good to be true. Hence, analyze the listing veeeeery carefully to make sure there is no way the seller can back out of giving you a refund if it is fake. If you have doubts as to legitimacy, ask if it is in fact made by the right company, and also ask for more pictures, especially close ups of things like barrel nuts, sections of the rails, etc. It's amazing how much detail can be obscured when the camera is zoomed out even just far enough to get the whole rail in the shot.

I will say that generally Ebay isn't the best place to look simply because it tends to have a low selection of not-fake goods, however while it is hardly my primary source for parts I have gotten some really good deals on legit gun parts parts there. You just have to be very careful and ask all the questions beforehand if you want to avoid getting burned.

Semi-related, I would point out that wanting to avoid fake rails is hardly brand name elitism. Given that airsoft knockoffs are objectively several magnitudes lower on the quality scale from the real deal, it's more a matter of wanting something that works, period. Most of them are engineered to tolerances that you can drive a truck through and for something that you will probably mount sights on it would be best if the zero wasn't changing on a regular basis because the rail is a POS.

underworld
06-22-2012, 7:27 PM
@PEBKAC..great! Thank you sir :)

kurac
06-22-2012, 7:32 PM
screw ebay, when I was looking to buy an Aimpoint Pro, idiots were paying more for them on ebay than you could find them for at multiple reputable online dealers. I am not sure why, maybe people have way too much paypal money to blow.

shamu415
06-22-2012, 7:49 PM
Rainier arms sell on eBay. Not all dealers on eBay sell fakes. Try looking through multiple forums. Even gun broker can have airsoft parts. I rather dish out the few extra Andrews Jackson for a ease of mind

underworld
06-22-2012, 8:11 PM
I found one on bravo co. Guess im buying there. Thanks guys!

underworld
06-22-2012, 8:14 PM
[QUOTE=kurac;8802721]screw ebay, when I was looking to buy an Aimpoint Pro, idiots were paying more for them on ebay than you could find them for at multiple reputable online dealers. I am not sure why, maybe people have way too much paypal money to blow.[/QUOTE

Ive seen a lot of these....hahaha

HonkingAntelope
06-22-2012, 8:23 PM
There a good deals to be found on eBay as long as you have the patience and the savvy to look out for fakes - especially when it comes higher-dollar tacticool pieces.

I got a nearly mint condition TA31 ACOG for 800, and an FFP Leupold for $1200 back in the day, which is close to $1000 less than what I'd spend at a "reputable dealer".

I just did a quick search on eBay, and out of the four results I see, three are clearly labeled air**** knockoffs, and the other one is MSRP