PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining an AR-15?

Kappy
06-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I've just put together my first AR-15. I've been shooting it for a bit under a month. So far, I've only been running a boresnake through it after every shooting session, usually with some Hoppes 9. I typically shoot around 40 rounds per session. I think I have a total of 100 rounds through it at present.

I also shoot a decent 30 cal military bolt action and clean it regularly, but that's because I'm shooting lead rounds through it.

If I do my job, with my reloads, I'm getting about a .3 MOA group, so I really want to do well by this rifle.

Some guys at the club who are really into shooting target rifles are telling me that I need to buy a Dewey rod for 22 calibers, which I intend to do anyway, but they're also telling me that I need to buy a bore guide and clean my rifle after every 20 rounds. Another guy told me not to lube it, and other guys are telling me that I do need to lube it (I'm assuming just the bolt?).

So... do I really need to buy a bore guide? And is important to actually buy one for an AR15? Do I need to clean it that often? Is a boresnake good enough?

Basically, anything you can tell me would be helpful.

SuperSet
06-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Do you have a stainless or chrome lined barrel? Reason I ask is that my stainless gets better treatment than my chrome lined. I follow the KG cleaning process with it (1-4) every 300 rounds or so. For my chrome lined, I do the same thing but use only Blue Wonder gel for the bore. Both use a dewey rod and bore guide. A boresnake is nice when you're out in the field for many days at a time and can't break out the rod and guide.
And yes, ARs like to run wet. You should lube liberally.

Kappy
06-21-2012, 10:33 PM
The barrel is stainless.

I hate to sound ignorant, but what is the KG cleaning process?

Does this Blue Wonder stuff eat the bore at all?

When you say "lube liberally," do you mean bolt? Or is there more?

Kappy
06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Wait... I found the KG thing: http://www.gb300m.com/articles/KG%20Rifle%20Cleaning%202006.pdf

anymoose
06-21-2012, 10:37 PM
hoppes 9 in the barrel, any good CLP for everything else. Bolt, trigger components, buffer spring, sights... take the bolt apart and clean everything in there, make sure you have a chamber brush for the chamber.

lube everything liberally with CLP. when i go to the range the first few shots have CLP flying out of the ejection port and you can smell it burning. It worked for thousands of rounds in the service, no need for anything fancy. Hell, hoppes 9 is a step up from military maintenance.

trigger hippie
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey. Google Borden Precision's guide, they have a very thorough stainless barrel care guide. I just posted an excerpt from it. Per the guide, for my new stainless barrel, I'm going with Shooter's Choice, JB Bore Paste, Kroil, a one-piece Dewey coated rod and a bore guide. Cleans the dickens out of the barrel and chamber.

FMJBT
06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
A lot of guys hate on bore snakes, but I use them almost exclusively. I use remington bore paste on the brisstle portion of the snake, run it through 4 or 5 times from breech to muzzle until the thing glides through with little resistance. The important thing is to get all the carbon fouling out of the barrel. I don't worry much about copper fouling unless it is really excessive. Removing all copper fouling also tends to cause a shift in zero until it builds back up after several rounds, so a little copper left in the bore isn't necessarily a bad thing. A decent barrel shouldn't build up much copper fouling inside anyway....

I use an old toothbrush for the barrel extension lugs and bolt/carrier along with brake cleaner. After a good scrubbing and hose down with brake cleaner I lube everything with CLP and put it back together.

CIV Tactical
06-22-2012, 6:12 AM
You should clean your AR after time you go shooting, especially if your AR runs on direct impingement. Dont forget that its not just your barrel and extension getting fouled up but your bolt, carrier and firing pin as well are probably black right now from lack of cleaning, you want to clean your gas tube every so often as well. when you clean your carrier group do so inside and out and and pay special attention to your gas rings on your bolt. Make sure to keep your ejector spring and disconnector spring lubed and clean as well. An old military armorer told me that 90% of the AR's he fixed were due to those 2 springs not being taken care of. Anyways a clean gun is a happy gun. I hope this helps.

Kappy
06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I went over to youtube to look up how to clean all this stuff. I'm not sure how to do that yet. The only thing I know how to do is remove the bolt and clean the barrel.

Anyone have a particular video they like best for this? Which shows the best practices?

Pardon my ignorance, but the first quality looking video I've run across is one by the NSSF. I've never heard of the NSSF. Can I trust them?

NewbieDave
06-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes, NSSF (http://www.nssf.org/)are good people...

IMHO, I don't clean my AR all that much... I'm not shooting corrsive stuff and it's not like I'm soaking it in dirt/mud/water. I don't depned my life on it so I just shoot the crap out of it and keep it oil. I've found that it'll work without issue well past 1000+ rounds without cleaning... just keep it lubed :D

Unless it's like a show peice... it's just another tool. Use it and have fun.

MXRider
06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Run it wet, cleaning isn't as important as people think.

If you don't believe me, see here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100162&highlight=lmt+fun

SuperSet
06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Not a video but this was distributed with my Noveske so maybe it helps you. This really only applies to stainless.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/barrelcare.pdf

SocomM4
06-22-2012, 11:24 AM
You don't need any fancy crap to clean an ar15 , grab a 40 dollar Otis M4/M16 cleaning kit off of eBay and follow the instructions . It's a really easy rifle to clean. Leatherman MUT is nice too.

I boresnake before I leave to shoot , and Otis it up when I get home. Boresnake once a week with CLP .
My rifle is always clean and ready.

bmoe
06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
MPro7 squirted down the barrel, chamber to muzzle. Pull a bore snake through 3-4 times. MPro7 is fantastic stuff. Clean inside the upper/chamber. Clean your bolt carrier group and components, lube everything, put it all back together and shoot the crap out of it.

jsipe007
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
CLP, Boresnake, and Tetra Lube if I know I'll be shooting a lot or letting my rifle sit for a while. The tetra Lube is great stuff, its pretty heavy and stays on well. Surprisingly, it doesnt accumulate much gunk and is fairly clean after hundreds of rounds. I know guys who have used an ar-15 synthetic motor oil and 10,000 rounds later, its still working like a charm. What you use isnt as important as people think, just make sure to clean it before too long.

TNP'R
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Pretty much what everyone else said. Lube it real good and let and run it. Yeah you don't have to clean it every range trip but clean it every once and a while unless you want to experiment and see if your rifle will with stand 10,000+ rounds with no cleaning me personally i'll let someone else do that.

RobGR
06-22-2012, 1:09 PM
Run it wet, cleaning isn't as important as people think.

If you don't believe me, see here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100162&highlight=lmt+fun

That's a good one. At least he finally told everyone what lube he was using on the second page. Slip 2000, keep meaning to get some myself.

And yes, boresnake, use em on all my firearms. I usually do only one, three sweeps at most with minimal, 2-3 drops, of hoppes 9 (after cleaning everything else).

RobGR
06-22-2012, 1:11 PM
BTW, saw boresnakes at wallymart for $14 when they usually sell for $20.

Kappy
06-22-2012, 4:36 PM
BTW, saw boresnakes at wallymart for $14 when they usually sell for $20.

I thought that was the price everywhere until I looked around recently. A bit ridiculous. Walmart seems to always have the best prices on shooting gear. I just wish they had a more extensive selection here.

Kappy
06-22-2012, 4:36 PM
Not a video but this was distributed with my Noveske so maybe it helps you. This really only applies to stainless.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/barrelcare.pdf

That indeed does help. I appreciate the Hell out of that.

Omega13device
06-24-2012, 5:24 AM
Lube is far more important than cleaning. "A clean rifle is a happy rifle" is a myth left over from the early days of the M16. Modern ARs need lube to function properly but they do not need to be clean.

TNP'R
06-24-2012, 6:38 AM
Lube is far more important than cleaning. "A clean rifle is a happy rifle" is a myth left over from the early days of the M16. Modern ARs need lube to function properly but they do not need to be clean.

The only problem with letting it for long periods of time without cleaning it is when someone does decide to clean it, it's harder to clean. So you don't have to clean every time you shoot but I'll be damned if I let it go over 1,000 rounds before cleaning. Sure it makes for pretty pictures in a forum but hell to clean. I don't like dirty guns anyway I guess i'm OCD that way.

Emt123
06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm somewhat new to the AR platform but I've had about 200 rounds through my colt m4 and I've cleaned it 4 times (after each shooting session). I watched a few videos on YouTube to learn how to take apart the BCG which is actually pretty simple. My cleaning process includes taking apart the bolt carrier group and cleaning the bolt and extractor and bolt carrier and anything else in there I'm forgetting. I wipe everything down with rem oil and then wipe off the rem oil. Some tough carbon build up will require some scraping. Then I snake the barrel. Then I thoroughly clean the star chamber with the wire brush set up that came with my gun as well as some qtips. After that I use a bristle brush and do a quick brush on the inside of the upper. Lastly I remove the buffer spring and wipe it down with a little rem oil. And I was told to just lube in the little holes (oil points?) that you can see On the BCG when the dust cover is open. Not sure if this is the exact correct way to clean an AR but it seems to be working well for me!

tomd1584
06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
You should clean your AR after time you go shooting, especially if your AR runs on direct impingement. Dont forget that its not just your barrel and extension getting fouled up but your bolt, carrier and firing pin as well are probably black right now from lack of cleaning, you want to clean your gas tube every so often as well. when you clean your carrier group do so inside and out and and pay special attention to your gas rings on your bolt. Make sure to keep your ejector spring and disconnector spring lubed and clean as well. An old military armorer told me that 90% of the AR's he fixed were due to those 2 springs not being taken care of. Anyways a clean gun is a happy gun. I hope this helps.

Wow, couldn't be farther than the truth. If you like to clean your AR every time you shoot it, that's fine. But it will probably do more harm than good.

Google pat Rogers "Filthy 14", then tell me you need to clean your rifle after every time you shoot it.

rogervzv
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
In the Army they taught us as follows:

After every shoot:
1. For the barrel: Hoppes 9 bore cleaner first on a brush, then on patches until they come out white.

2. Hopes 9 bore cleaner on the Bolt Carrier Group. Then lube with Hoppes gun oil.

3. Clean the chamber with a chamber brush and Hoppes 9 bore cleaner.

Check everything with a Q-Tip to make sure you got all the gunk.

Occasionally disassemble the BCG and clean.

I apply this formula to all my rifles and it has worked well for me. I have had practically a zero rate of feeding or ejection issues. (One bad round one time in the last 3000 or so .223 rounds.)

Travis590A1
06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
You shouldn't clean it every 20, you should clean it after every shot lol. Seriously you should clean it after every range session, or every 300-500+ rounds. Lube all metal to metal and moving parts

Arteel
06-24-2012, 1:34 PM
I'm not a fan of cleaning much so I don't thoroughly clean my AR's too often. My normal routine is running a bore snake through the barrel a few times with hoppes 9 and a few drops on the gas rings, contact points on bolt carrier and bolt. No need to drench the BCG.

I shot about 3k rounds or more through my dedicated .22 AR upper without a single cleaning before I had my first failure.

Emt123
06-24-2012, 2:30 PM
I'm not a fan of cleaning much so I don't thoroughly clean my AR's too often. My normal routine is running a bore snake through the barrel a few times with hoppes 9 and a few drops on the gas rings, contact points on bolt carrier and bolt. No need to drench the BCG.

I shot about 3k rounds or more through my dedicated .22 AR upper without a single cleaning before I had my first failure.

To each they're own but waiting for a failure to clean your rifle doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Pretend like your guns are your girls vag. U want it nice and clean at all times so it's ready to go if you need it ;)

tomd1584
06-24-2012, 2:53 PM
To each they're own but waiting for a failure to clean your rifle doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Pretend like your guns are your girls vag. U want it nice and clean at all times so it's ready to go if you need it ;)

Did you even read the article "Filthy 14"? Come on dude, be serious. I'm at 3,700 rounds since my last cleaning (8,5xx total). Lube before you shoot, add lube as necessary. a boresnake through the barrel even couple thousand rounds and you'll be GTG.

Kappy
06-24-2012, 3:40 PM
I've got about 200 rounds through it now. When I bought it, it was lubed decently... a nice thin coat. I've cleaned the bore twice pretty well. Today, I oiled down the bolt carrier group.

I want to thank everyone for the responses, especially for not saying "Google it." It sounds like I do need particular items, so hopefully, come the first of the month, I can buy the proper cleaning gear.

Incidentally... the reason I want to keep this thing in good condition:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=155899&stc=1&d=1340581428

If I can just do my job and keep the flyers out, I might have a .1 or .2 MOA at 100yds.

Omega13device
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM
The only problem with letting it for long periods of time without cleaning it is when someone does decide to clean it, it's harder to clean. So you don't have to clean every time you shoot but I'll be damned if I let it go over 1,000 rounds before cleaning. Sure it makes for pretty pictures in a forum but hell to clean. I don't like dirty guns anyway I guess i'm OCD that way.

It not harder to clean but it definitely takes longer. Once every 1000 rounds is far from overcleaning. :)

"Clean" rifles are a myth anyway because the first shot you take after you clean it, it's dirty again. The idea that it has to be clean to function properly is just silly. You'd be cleaning after every shot!

Merc1138
06-25-2012, 1:08 AM
It not harder to clean but it definitely takes longer. Once every 1000 rounds is far from overcleaning. :)

"Clean" rifles are a myth anyway because the first shot you take after you clean it, it's dirty again. The idea that it has to be clean to function properly is just silly. You'd be cleaning after every shot!

Some people do that, they call it "break in" ;)

Proper maintenance(which is not the same as cleaning), is definitely more important than removing every last trace of carbon every 100 rounds like some people seem to think is required.

glock21fan
06-25-2012, 1:27 AM
Mpro 7. Millitec oil. Bore snake. Q tips. Leatherman mut some pipe cleaners for the gas tube and a rag.

jsipe007
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
As far as cleaning goes, its really a judgement thing. I myself, will clean every time I shoot steel case ammo, especially Tulammo. Ive heard of people getting corrosive-primed Tulammo (granted it wasnt .223 but 7.62). still thats not a chance I'm willing to take, even with a chrome lined barrel. If I shoot Lake city or any other brass case ammo, I usually clean the rifle every 500 to 1000 rounds just because I actually enjoy cleaning it (its still fairly new LOL). Every time I get home after shooting a couple hundred rounds, I take appart the BCG and give it a quick clean/lube. I prefer the thicker lube or grease because I can still see it in the rifle next time I go clean it. I know its doing its job. CLP is awesome stuff and so is Remoil, but I primarily use those for just an occasional squirt into the BCG when I know I've been shooting a lot. Yes, the AR platform can go extensive lengths between cleaning (sometimes) and probably doesnt need to be cleaned as often as I clean my rifle. But every time I pull one of my guns out of the safe, I know it is well-maintained and ready to be fired. It doesnt matter if its HD or a day at the range, I have piece of mind knowing my weapons are maintained properly.

Kappy
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I went ahead and bought the bore guide made by Pro-Shot. It looked pretty durable. I also got the Dewey .22 cleaning rod, since the one I have in .30 is great.

Now I just have to find a better bore cleaning solution, since the bottle of Montana Xtreme I had kind of exploded when it hit the ground. Hopefully the heat of summer will burn off the smell faster?

slo5oh
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
go to www.Lifelibertyetc.com, look in Range Bag. excellent video on field stripping an AR.

Lexustech48
07-03-2012, 6:13 AM
I got a bottle of Slip 2000 EWL after I lubed the crap outta my Smithy MP15 and the generic lube evaporated after a few days. Since Ive lubed with the Slip 2000 EWL, she is still silky smooth after sitting in my cabinet for almost a month. GREAT lube, and well worth the money.

BrianRodela
07-03-2012, 8:11 AM
Wow, just wow. I can't believe the diversity in responses. Kappy, it's more or less a personal preference on the frequency of cleaning. Is the AR platform a durable one that can take some abuse and longevity between cleanings? Obviously so as it wouldn't have sustained such a long career as America's service rifle. Cleaning your rifle is a lot lke cleaning your car. To some, it needs to be spic and span every time and to others, they don't even know where the shop vac is in their house! Cleaning is more than just what it implies; it's also the opportunity to examine, inspect and track the wear patterns on your components. I prefer the term maintaining. Some are shocked when the rifle fails but then they tend to be the ones who rarely maintained it. Having served in the military for 22 years and a high power shooter, and having seen the robustness of the rifles we use, there should be little excuse for mechanical failure of any AR at the local ranges. Nevertheless, each will have different opinions on how to maintain their equipment. I choose to clean, inspect and lube after every day at the range. It maybe obsessive but I can also tell you every wear pattern on my rifle. There are some good guides out there and some are listed hear. You've started out well by asking questions and there are many on here who are willing to help; just take it with a grain of salt and use your gut instinct. Good luck and shoot straight!!

CS Sports
07-03-2012, 8:23 AM
Far more barrels have been ruined by overzealous cleaning than have ever been shot out. Unless accuracy suffers (or you shoot corrosive ammo), there is no reason to clean a barrel. I've got a 223 Ackley that hasn't been cleaned in over 4500 rounds, and still people would call me a liar if I posted how great it shot.

The action on an AR does need to be cleaned occasionally, especially if you run low end ammo, but a good barrel can go a looooooooooooong time before it needs cleaning.

MXRider
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I got a bottle of Slip 2000 EWL after I lubed the crap outta my Smithy MP15 and the generic lube evaporated after a few days. Since Ive lubed with the Slip 2000 EWL, she is still silky smooth after sitting in my cabinet for almost a month. GREAT lube, and well worth the money.

Sorry, but judging a lube by how well it performs sitting in your safe is laughable. Slip 2000 EWL is fantastic, however your above remarks mean jack **** in the real world.

Kappy
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I guess I should have asked "What do YOU do to maintain your rifle?"

For right now... I guess I'll give the upper a good detail cleaning. Go over the barrel to remove fouling (as much as I can with Hoppes) and clean up the BCG.

The lower is going to be cleaned when I get some trigger work done in a few weeks here.

vikingm03
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Ill differ from others, but for me I run my ar as dry as possible. Less lube, less grit, less mess. I use grease extensively, so there is no need to bath the action in oil as grease will stay put in the key locations I put it. I only put grease on the parts that need it: gas rings, bolt skid, bolt carrier skids, cam pin, etc. Makes cleaning very easy and less messy.

For the barrel, I dont clean mine that often (chrome lined) but I do run a dry patch through it after shooting to get the big stuff out, and if I know I wont be shooting for a while i'll run a lightly oiled patch through it (I know, dont have to with chrome lined, but it makes me feel better! The barrel is the most important part to me)

Finally, if I notice that the outside is "dry" looking, ill give the gun a light rub down with some oil and then wipe it clean. Keeps the finish strong and wear resistant.

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
In the Army they taught us as follows:

After every shoot:
1. For the barrel: Hoppes 9 bore cleaner first on a brush, then on patches until they come out white.

2. Hopes 9 bore cleaner on the Bolt Carrier Group. Then lube with Hoppes gun oil.

3. Clean the chamber with a chamber brush and Hoppes 9 bore cleaner.

Check everything with a Q-Tip to make sure you got all the gunk.

Occasionally disassemble the BCG and clean.

I apply this formula to all my rifles and it has worked well for me. I have had practically a zero rate of feeding or ejection issues. (One bad round one time in the last 3000 or so .223 rounds.)

Did they actually teach you with and issue you Hoppes9? All I ever saw was the military CLP and some whale sperm for the Mk19.

Anyways, I'm at about 2000 rounds no cleaning and I lube it up with Frog Lube every couple of trip to the range. Sometimes I don't even lube it at all and I've had 0 malfunctions in those ~2000 rounds.

Do what you feel you need to do, I don't believe there is a right answer here.

Lexustech48
07-03-2012, 9:22 PM
Sorry, but judging a lube by how well it performs sitting in your safe is laughable. Slip 2000 EWL is fantastic, however your above remarks mean jack **** in the real world.

Oh heavens me! Im sorry that in the month and a half Ive owned my M&P 15, I havent been able to put 1000's of rounds down range and experiment with every lube out there dude. Nor have I had the privilege of having years of firearms experience in the military as I am not a veteran. My apologies for not having the years upon years of firearms ownership that would give me the definitive experience to confidently analyze the exact effectiveness of a weapons lube.

Sheesh, it was an indication of my CURENT experience that yes JUST sitting in my gun cabinet ( I own no safe yet), the lube stuck to the parts as described by the makers of slip. It didnt disappear like the regular lube did. I imagine that when the rifle/gun heats up, it wont instantly evaporate or at least hold up much better than regular, petroleum based lube.

My bad for not CLEARLY defining the intent of my statement. :TFH: Hope you can forgive me. :(

Kappy
07-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh heavens me! Im sorry that in the month and a half Ive owned my M&P 15, I havent been able to put 1000's of rounds down range and experiment with every lube out there dude. Nor have I had the privilege of having years of firearms experience in the military as I am not a veteran. My apologies for not having the years upon years of firearms ownership that would give me the definitive experience to confidently analyze the exact effectiveness of a weapons lube.

Sheesh, it was an indication of my CURENT experience that yes JUST sitting in my gun cabinet ( I own no safe yet), the lube stuck to the parts as described by the makers of slip. It didnt disappear like the regular lube did. I imagine that when the rifle/gun heats up, it wont instantly evaporate or at least hold up much better than regular, petroleum based lube.

My bad for not CLEARLY defining the intent of my statement. :TFH: Hope you can forgive me. :(
I understood your intent in the post. I didn't even see his post until I went back to look. I think it was a bit harsh... maybe he was ribbing you a bit?

Kappy
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Anyway... I think the lube I have (Mpro7) is good enough. I'm now just looking for a good bore cleaner. I know Hoppes is decent, but it isn't super. Some of the guys at my range (as noted in my first post) get a bit over-the-top when cleaning. We're talking... they shoot 5-20 rounds and have to run 5-20 patches through it. Mind you, they shoot FREAKY small groups.

Mossy Man
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
i use land o lakes for lube

works good and tastes great

Lexustech48
07-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I understood your intent in the post. I didn't even see his post until I went back to look. I think it was a bit harsh... maybe he was ribbing you a bit?

Lol perhaps. I dunno, I kinda look at guns like cars. If your a gun nut or car nut we all start somewhere. With cars, Ive worked my way up the ladder with schooling, certifications, experience etc. As an example: I could never rip a new tech in the field for preferring brand x tool because he has only used it to take off wheels; not removed engine mounts, or sub-frames or suspension components with it. Thats his experience doing so and who am i to say that experience is or is not relevant to brand x's ability as a tool.

Haha, my statement still stands about Slip 2000 EWL. Good stuff IMO!

Kappy
07-04-2012, 1:36 AM
i use land o lakes for lube

works good and tastes great

I've used it to bake with... but not for my guns (yet)...

AwakeAware1016
07-04-2012, 3:38 AM
I've had my M&P 15 for about three years and I've put roughly 4000 rounds through it and all I've ever used is no.9 in the Barrell and high temp axle grease on the metal to metal parts. It has never failed me. And I have only cleaned it maybe 5 times.

Josh3239
07-04-2012, 6:01 AM
I wasn't going to jump in but seeing some good responses to the outrageous idea that a "white glove" clean AR is the proper way to maintain an AR, I'll jump in.

It is ironic that the people who typically buy lower end rifles/parts, who typically overclean, who typically buy poor feeding mags and who typically expereince malfunctions are typically the same people. On my current build I am at over 2,000 rounds without a cleaning. Last range trip, my rifle was bone dry. I have had a grand total of 0 malfunctions. It isn't abuse. Bolt lugs and the thin areas around the cam pin are checked for damage occasionally. Springs will be changed when we have hit the magic numbers. Carbon is self limiting and does not cause malfunctions. Crappy parts and dryness do.

AR15s are self cleaning. Bullets travel down the barrels a gases blow out anything in the gas tube, the gas rings and bolt lugs are sharp for a reason. Don't believe me? Check out the inside of your carrier, see that shiny parts? That is because the gas rings keep it clean. You guys think a thin layer of carbon on the outside of your carrier hurts? Not as much as picking and scraping does to the finish and to the metal.

And what is with the opposition to testing out the maximum capabilities of your equipment? It sounds to me that not testing your equipment for the worst possible circumstance is the worst thing you can do. Isn't it important to know at what point preventive maintenance comes into play? How many people right now without google can tell me when they should replace their action spring, bolt, barrel, or extractor assembly? How many people right now can definetively answer exactly how many rounds their rifle, no not the faceless guy on the internet but their rifle, can shoot before it is considered unreliable or if it can even reach that point? Don't you think those answers are most important?

Filthy 14 was definetly an awesome T&E, but don't overlook the other T&E guns Pat Roger's gets send for free that often fire ten of thousands of rounds trouble free with little to no cleaning, running only on lube and preventive maintenance.

Omega13device
07-04-2012, 7:11 AM
^^^^^ What he said!

Mossy Man
07-04-2012, 7:19 AM
i've shot maybe 400 through my m&p 15 sport so far. cleaned it once with some CLP, boresnake, and an otis chamber/feed ramp brush.

it wasn't even really dirty and thats with firing cheap tula

Mail Clerk
07-04-2012, 7:41 AM
Kappy,

Since you put together your own upper you have much more knowledge than I do in that area. One thing I think you should know is for the first time you shoot your rifle I'd give the bore a good solvent cleaning assuming you don't have a chrome-lined bore. When I got my upper I pushed a oil patch down the bore followed by a dry one and went to the range. Bad choice on my part cuz the groups were terrible and couldn't get it sighted in properly! I just burned and wasted 60 rounds all for nothing. I gave my bore a solvent cleaning and the bore had so much copper fouling inside it took me practically all day to scrub most of it out with solvent.

For everything else I ususally use "Prolix". I dries fast and leaves a dry lube behind.

Have a good 4th dude:-)

Mail Clerk

projectalpha
07-08-2012, 9:18 PM
So when you guys lube the BCG, do you actually take it apart?

TNP'R
07-08-2012, 9:23 PM
So when you guys lube the BCG, do you actually take it apart?

Yes gotta lube the rubber gaskets on the bolt as well as a few other things.

anymoose
07-08-2012, 9:49 PM
Yes gotta lube the rubber gaskets on the bolt as well as a few other things.

rubber gaskets? :confused:

TNP'R
07-08-2012, 9:51 PM
rubber gaskets? :confused:

Hell I can't think of the proper name for them right now so thats what I called them lol. But yeah you gotta lube those up.

anymoose
07-08-2012, 9:57 PM
Gas rings?

TNP'R
07-08-2012, 9:58 PM
Gas rings?

Yeah.

projectalpha
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah.

Thanks for the info. Can't you get to the gas rings through the exhaust ports on the carrier? I'm pretty new to the AR world and have been reading the different POVs in this thread.

rdrjoe12
07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Great advise on this site whether to clean after each use or whether to wait. One other posted earlier that its individual preference. I've always clean after every trip to the range but I dont scrub her to death. Just a good cleaning and lube. I do appreciate the extensive knowledge on this site and different opinions.

Kappy
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
OK... I don't know what these gas rings are... directions?

Merc1138
07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
OK... I don't know what these gas rings are... directions?

Umm, these?
http://www.varminthunters.com/ar15tech/gasrings.jpg

Kappy
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
OK... I pulled the pin out of the side of the BCG and got the firing pin out... is that on the firing pin? Or is that further in? I can't get the front of the BCG out. Not sure how that works.

Kappy
07-08-2012, 11:41 PM
OK... I pulled the pin out of the side of the BCG and got the firing pin out... is that on the firing pin? Or is that further in? I can't get the front of the BCG out. Not sure how that works. The part I guess you'd say contains the bolt face? It has a rectangular piece which blocks me from pulling it out...

Kappy
07-08-2012, 11:43 PM
NM. Found a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yNXJliSRFs