PDA

View Full Version : Any meets or matches in SOCal this weekend?

SuperSet
05-21-2007, 1:32 PM
Hey guys,
I'm going to be in SoCal for memorial day visiting family. Do we have meet-ups or matches going on in the area? I'd love to meet up with some brethren from the South Side.

Jicko
05-21-2007, 1:48 PM
www.ncsapala.com

5/26 Sat USPSA 3-guns
5/27 Sun NCSA High-powder Tactical match

ocabj
05-21-2007, 2:31 PM
Camp Pendleton MCB

NRA High Power 3x600 - Sat, May 26
NRA High Power Across the Course - Sun, May 27

Tournament info and program here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50280

I'm actually skipping the XTC this month. A bit burned out shooting two EICs this month...

Paratus et Vigilans
05-21-2007, 3:51 PM
Camp Pendleton MCB

NRA High Power 3x600 - Sat, May 26
NRA High Power Across the Course - Sun, May 27

Tournament info and program here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50280

I'm actually skipping the XTC this month. A bit burned out shooting two EICs this month...

Jon,

I think you got the days reversed. My schedule shows the XTC on Sat. and the 3 x 600 on Sun.

Has that changed?

Jim

ocabj
05-21-2007, 4:07 PM
Jon,

I think you got the days reversed. My schedule shows the XTC on Sat. and the 3 x 600 on Sun.

Has that changed?

Jim

From the latest revision of the match program for the 3x600+XTC tournament, it appears so.

http://www.inlandshooters.net/files/1400_Monthly__HP___3x600_Mid-Range__Rifle_Aggregate_Rev_C.pdf

At the beginning of the year, the dates were set, but later they changed the matches to alternate between a 3x600+XTC and a 300/500/600+XTC.

In the PDF linked above, it has May 27 (Sun) as the Across the Course match. I pre-registered for that match last month, but asked Matt to roll my entry fees over for June. Shooting the Pac Fleet and All Navy EICs was more than enough for the month of May. I'll just be hanging out at my club's range on Sunday.

Paratus et Vigilans
05-21-2007, 7:30 PM
From the latest revision of the match program for the 3x600+XTC tournament, it appears so.

http://www.inlandshooters.net/files/1400_Monthly__HP___3x600_Mid-Range__Rifle_Aggregate_Rev_C.pdf

At the beginning of the year, the dates were set, but later they changed the matches to alternate between a 3x600+XTC and a 300/500/600+XTC.

In the PDF linked above, it has May 27 (Sun) as the Across the Course match. I pre-registered for that match last month, but asked Matt to roll my entry fees over for June. Shooting the Pac Fleet and All Navy EICs was more than enough for the month of May. I'll just be hanging out at my club's range on Sunday.

Thanks, Jon. I'll check it out. I'm planning on shooting both days, but it helps to know in advance what's happening on which day! :biggrinjester:

ocabj
05-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I may show up on Saturday just to meet up my friend Charles who has a bucket of brass for me. If I have the itch, I may even bring a rifle and shoot the 3x600. Don't really need much gear for the 3x600 except my rifle/sling, ammo, glove, jacket, mat, and my spotting scope. I can probably load that in my daily driving car and ditch the truck for the day.

We'll see.

REDHORSE
05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
May 26th (Sat) 3-gun match at West End Gun Club (http://www.wegc.org/), near Lytle Creek & 15 fwy.

Round count for this weekend's fund raiser match (BBQ lunch included in match fee):
California 3Gun Championship Series
Match registration begins at 7 am and shooter briefing at 8 am. We will shoot 3 stages in the morning, then break for bbq lunch. We will then shoot the remaining 3 stages.

Lunch is provided with the match fee. We will have (almost) all you can eat burgers, beans, chips, cookies, and sodas for lunch, and there will be free cold water available throughout the day.

We have 6 stages for your shooting pleasure:
Shotgun/Pistol
Pistol/Shotgun
Pistol
Rifle CQB
Rifle
Rifle ~200 yds.

Minimum Ammo Load-out (if you miss maybe once or twice):
Shotgun: 35 (no slugs)
Pistol: 70
Rifle: 120

SuperSet
05-22-2007, 8:17 AM
May 26th (Sat) 3-gun match at West End Gun Club (http://www.wegc.org/), near Lytle Creek & 15 fwy.

Round count for this weekend's fund raiser match (BBQ lunch included in match fee):

This sounds really fun! I'm going to try and make this match for the first time. I don't have a shotgun yet so can I rent one for the match?

ocabj
05-22-2007, 8:20 AM
If you've never been to West End, I highly suggest you use a truck or something with some decent clearance. You can make it in a car, but it ain't fun.

REDHORSE
05-22-2007, 9:50 AM
If you've never been to West End, I highly suggest you use a truck or something with some decent clearance. You can make it in a car, but it ain't fun.

The road isn't bad at all at this moment. A car with normal ground clearance will be fine, as long as it isn't lowered.

The small creek crossing area is bone dry at the last month's 3-gun and the dirt fire road leading to the range after the creek crossing is your typical fire road. It was being smoothed out and filled with dirt last month, and it didn't even need that.

This sounds really fun! I'm going to try and make this match for the first time. I don't have a shotgun yet so can I rent one for the match?

I plan on being there for this match (80% sure), SuperSet72 your more than welcome to use one of my shotguns. I usually shoot my Rem 11-87 and bring the Rem 870 as a backup. My 11-87 will shoot reliably with the Federal Game-Shok 12 gauge 3 DRAM, 1 OZ, #8 shot that you find at Walmart ($4+ per box). The Rem 11-87 is super smooth and recoil is very very light with that 12 Ga Federal load. Just to be on the safe side, I always double up on the minimal round count they send via email.

Match fee for this month is $35 for non-members, range membership not required. When you drive up to the 'public range', let the RO know your shooting the 3-gun and he'll waive you through to the Member's only area... where the 6 stages will be held.

SuperSet
05-22-2007, 4:31 PM
Redhorse,
Thanks much for the loaner offer. I'm definitely going to take you up on it since I need to eventually find a shotgun too.
Most likely, I'll make it and let the RO know that I'm new there.
BTW, what's the max round count per stage? I'm checking because I want to double check that I have enough 10-rd magazines.

REDHORSE
05-23-2007, 1:59 AM
They allow standard capacity mags, so your not restricted to just 10 round mags, unless that is all you have.

If all you have are 10 rounders... I'd say 4 each 10 rd pistol mags and maybe 4-5 each 10 rd rifle mags. This match looks like they're leaning to more rifle usage this go around.

What rifle & pistol do you plan on shooting? I might have spare mags, if your short.

I'll PM you my email and cell#.

Jicko
05-23-2007, 2:33 AM
Hmmmm never been to Camp Pendleton MCB....

Let me check out what is XTC... I can only shoot SAT, so, let me see if I have the appropriate stuff to shoot it...

Is there off-road to the site? I don't think I get to use my SUV on SAT, so all I've is my "car".....

EDIT:

Sights
For the 60 Shot 600 Point Prone Slow Fire Mid-Range (600 Yards) Course: Metallic – Rule 3.7(a); Telescopic –
Rule 3.7(b), and Any Sight – Rule 3.7(c). Service Rifles using sights other than metallic or telescopic will be
classed as NRA Any Sight Match Rifles.

That means for the 5/26 SAT match, I can shoot my Mk12 SPR w/ 3-9x scope, right?

ocabj
05-23-2007, 8:14 AM
I'm honestly not sure. If the rules say you can use a telescoped rifle, then I guess you can. I've never seen anyone shoot a scoped rifle in HP.

But I'm pretty sure you still have to use a sling. No front or rear rests. That's only in F-Class.

Getting to Wilcox (Range 103) doesn't require any offroad vehicle. Everything is paved road.

Click for a map with hand drawn path from the Main Gate to Wilcox Range 103:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114975429824203783290.00000112b98466d3cd8b9&om=1&z=12

Obey all speed limits and traffic laws on base. When you enter the main gate, use the right hand lane / sentry and have your proof of insurance and vehicle registration. The sentry will direct you to the building on the right where you'll probably turn in and get a guest pass.

gobabygo
05-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Just to give you some more choices, if you're into IPSC/USPSA shooting, there's a match in Norco at the Raahauges (http://www.raahauges.com/)range every Saturday.

And on the 4th full weekend of each month (this coming weekend) there are matches at Lopez Canyon (a private range but open to all for these matches) in the northeast San Fernando Valley. On Saturday we shoot ICORE (revolvers in preparation for the IRC) and on Sunday there is a USPSA match. You can also shoot trap there. Because of the holiday weekend, you can shoot the USPSA match on either Sunday or Monday (same stages). PM or email me for more details.

SuperSet
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM

BTW, forgot to ask... are pictures and video allowed on the range? how many shooters do you usually have for the match?

REDHORSE
05-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Video and pictures are just fine. I just use my Sony digital camera to record the vids. My shooting Buddie and I record our runs to critique how we did each stage. Good way to learn from your mistakes and make improvements.

My friend isn't going to make this match. So, if you don't mind recording my runs, I'll do the same for you. ;)

This isn't a normal match, so I think there will be a larger number of shooters than normal. The regular monthly matches usually have 35-40+ shooters. So, we break up into equal # of people, times the number of stages being run. So, the groups usually break down to 5 to 8 people in each group. There is usually one group for newbies to 3-gun.

I'm just getting into 3-gun, so I'm still taking my time and trying to shoot cleanly, before I ramp up the speed. These vids are from my first time at the WEGC 3-Gun match. I was still working on setting up my guns/gear for 3-gun, at the time. Equipment issues are nearly all worked out... my 11-87 was out of commission at the time, so I was using the pump.
http://media.putfile.com/WEGC-3-GUN-Rellik-Remag-032407
http://media.putfile.com/WEGC-3-GUN-Rellik-Remag-032407-STG3

REDHORSE
05-25-2007, 1:36 AM
Stages have been changed. One of the rifle stages was swapped out for a shotgun stage. You'll need a few slugs and more birdshot shells.

We have substituted a shotgun stage for one of the rifle stages.
Now the stage lineup is:
Shotgun/Pistol
Pistol/Shotgun
Pistol
Rifle CQB
Shotgun
Rifle ~200 yd.

Min round count:
Pistol = 60
Shotgun = 60 birdshot and 4 slugs
Rifle = 80

randy
05-26-2007, 12:45 AM
There is a USPSA match in Lopez canyon on Sunday and Monday. There is an IDPA match Saturday in Piru. I believe the Silver Buckle is going on in Ridgecrest this weekend too.