PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control Clichéd Phrases

oaklander
05-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Here's some hackneyed anti phrases, and my snide comments:

1) "high-powered rifle" (just about all rifles are high power)

2) "weapon of war" (versus what, a "weapon of peace?")

3) "sensible gun control" (there are already 700 gun control laws on the books in California)

4) "common-sense gun control" (who defines "common-sense?")

5) "sniper rifle" (pretty much any rifle with a scope)

6) "assault rifle" (any rifle that's not a sniper rifle)

7) "assault weapon" (anything that looks scary)

8) "extremist gun lobby" (anyone that disagrees with Brady)

9) "assault pistol" (any pistol that's used in an assault)

p.s. - I think I found where Alison Merrilees got her "spray from the hip without reloading" quote:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/faqs/?page=awb

"Q: What is the difference between semi-automatic hunting rifles and semi-automatic assault weapons?

A: Sporting rifles and assault weapons are two distinct classes of firearms. While semi-automatic hunting rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder and depend upon the accuracy of a precisely aimed projectile, semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to maximize lethal effects through a rapid rate of fire. Assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip, and because of their design, a shooter can maintain control of the weapon even while firing many rounds in rapid succession.

Opponents of the ban argue that such weapons only "look scary." However, because they were designed for military purposes, assault weapons are equipped with combat hardware, such as silencers, folding stocks and bayonets, which are not found on sporting guns. Assault weapons are also designed for rapid-fire and many come equipped with large ammunition magazines allowing 50 more bullets to be fired without reloading. So there is a good reason why these features on high-powered weapons should frighten the public.

Assault weapons are commonly equipped with some or all of the following combat features:

* A large-capacity ammunition magazine, enabling the shooter to continuously fire dozens of rounds without reloading. Standard hunting rifles are usually equipped with no more than 3 or 4-shot magazines.
* A folding stock on a rifle or shotgun, which sacrifices accuracy for concealability and for mobility in close combat.
* A pistol grip on a rifle or shotgun, which facilitates firing from the hip, allowing the shooter to spray-fire the weapon. A pistol grip also helps the shooter stabilize the firearm during rapid fire and makes it easier to shoot assault rifles one-handed.
* A barrel shroud, which is designed to cool the barrel so the firearm can shoot many rounds in rapid succession without overheating. It also allows the shooter to grasp the barrel area to stabilize the weapon, without incurring serious burns, during rapid fire.
* A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, which serves no useful sporting purpose. The flash suppressor allows the shooter to remain concealed when shooting at night, an advantage in combat but unnecessary for hunting or sporting purposes. In addition, the flash suppressor is useful for providing stability during rapid fire, helping the shooter maintain control of the firearm.
* A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a silencer, which is useful to assassins but clearly has no purpose for sportsmen. Silencers are illegal so there is no legitimate purpose for making it possible to put a silencer on a weapon.
* A barrel mount designed to accommodate a bayonet, which obviously serves no sporting purpose."

---> remember Wednesday's Virtual Rally!!!

:)

Socal858
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
dont forget thrusts per squeeze

leelaw
05-21-2007, 12:20 PM
"for the children"

Fate
05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
"automatic weapon" - any rifle that has a detachable magazine visible.

thomye
05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
i'm having shirts made that say "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, THEN SPOONS MAKE PEOPLE FAT"

I know that this has been around a while but I recently herd it and thought i'd have shirts made for myself and my 4 yr old.

pnkssbtz
05-21-2007, 1:07 PM
i'm having shirts made that say "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, THEN SPOONS MAKE PEOPLE FAT"

HAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!

I'll take 2 please =)

HK fan
05-21-2007, 1:33 PM
"two weeks"

AJAX22
05-21-2007, 3:18 PM
I got to hear a nice phrase today.

Apparently criminals who die as a result of the victim having a weapon are "collateral damage" which is a negative result of civilian firearm ownership.

Smokeybehr
05-21-2007, 3:36 PM
i'm having shirts made that say "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, THEN SPOONS MAKE ROSIE O'DONNELL FAT"

Fixed.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-21-2007, 5:00 PM
Don't forget rifles with "armor piercing" ammunition.

Tweak338
05-21-2007, 5:04 PM
"Baby killer"

cartman
05-21-2007, 5:19 PM

Apparently criminals who die as a result of the victim having a weapon are "collateral damage" which is a negative result of civilian firearm ownership.

Well imo its a postive result. but i'm just a crazy gun nut right?:rolleyes:

jumbopanda
05-21-2007, 5:28 PM
Cop killer bullets

Military-style

"In addition, the flash suppressor is useful for providing stability during rapid fire, helping the shooter maintain control of the firearm."

Is it any surprise that the DOJ can't distinguish between a compensator/muzzle brake and a flash suppressor?

Cardinal Sin
05-21-2007, 6:25 PM
I'll take one in Large.:cool:

Will it have Rosie holding a spoon?!:rolleyes:

I know that this has been around a while but I recently herd it and thought i'd have shirts made for myself and my 4 yr old.

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2007, 6:56 PM
Silencers are not illegal! Just highly regulated. I believe 31 states allow private ownership of silencers.

Yankee Clipper
05-21-2007, 7:21 PM
Silencers are not illegal! Just highly regulated. I believe 31 states allow private ownership of silencers.
And preferred in an environment where noise is an issue. However, I'm sure we've all been to a range where it’s necessary to coax non-domestic animals and birds off the range so firing can proceed. I guess the critters just get used to a noisy environment.

ybz
05-21-2007, 7:46 PM

Actually, criminals who die as a result of the victim having a weapon are usually called VICTIMS :eek: (according to most media)...

ldivinag
05-21-2007, 7:55 PM
"guns are made to do one thing: kill people"...

sigh....

Rumpled
05-21-2007, 8:48 PM
teflon bullets

Outlaw Josey Wales
05-21-2007, 9:47 PM
"Saturday Night Special" This phrase is discriminatory because it leaves out people who might want to shoot the rest of the week?

Deadeye
05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
"Saturday Night Special" This phrase is discriminatory because it leaves out people who might want to shoot the rest of the week?
:rofl:

spgk380
05-22-2007, 9:27 AM
"hi capacity magazine", which is anything with more than 5 rounds now to them :gunsmilie:

Someday in CA we will be reduced to one round magazines. And everybody on Calguns.net will be ranting and raving about how they just bought five Bushmaster 1/30 mags and a mag coupler to be really bad ***, just like people in Europe think they are really bad *** because they have an airsoft M-16.

Glasshat
05-22-2007, 3:50 PM
"Plastic guns" capable of evading x-ray machines.

Bullet hose.

(fill in the blank), the terrorists weapon of choice.

LECTRIKHED
05-22-2007, 4:59 PM
"Ceramic Guns" capable of going through metal detectors.

"Terrorist Rifle"