PDA

View Full Version : Entreprise STG 58

StratORcaster
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
So I have a chance to take one of these in 7.62 on trade and have read many mixed reviews....
I am told that it has a flash hider and an imbell upper with a barrel cut down and crowned at 18".

What are your opinions and experiences? I can get pics.

Thanks!

bcrich
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I have an old stg58 and it has been good all these years can't recall any failures except while setting the gas system when I first got it, seems to eat anything I feed it!

StratORcaster
06-21-2012, 1:59 PM
These guns shoot 7.62 and .308 then? I see quite a few for sale around the 800-$1000 + mark. Sound about right? I'm working on getting pics.

Munny$hot
06-21-2012, 3:13 PM
These guns shoot 7.62 and .308 then? I see quite a few for sale around the 800-$1000 + mark. Sound about right? I'm working on getting pics.

7.62x51 is .308....

bcrich
06-21-2012, 3:39 PM
7.62x51 is .308....

Not exactly true, 308 has a higher pressures! unless you are reffering to the projectile.

StratORcaster
06-21-2012, 3:48 PM
Not exactly true, 308 has a higher pressures! unless you are reffering to the projectile.

Yeah.... So, does anyone know?

-hanko
06-21-2012, 4:01 PM
So I have a chance to take one of these in 7.62 on trade and have read many mixed reviews....
I am told that it has a flash hider and an imbell upper with a barrel cut down and crowned at 18".

What are your opinions and experiences? I can get pics.

Thanks!
My experience...as FAL's go, you can do far better than Entreprise...do your due diligence and dig a little on the FAL Files before you commit. That said, if you can run a few mags through her quickly with no burping...it is a shooter and will stay that way. Entreprise quality is best known for variability, and fixing a gun that needs fixing is not always done competently nor quickly. Resale will be lower than anything other except maybe a Century gun. Preceding is from my own experience.

Yeah.... So, does anyone know?
If the question is the difference between .308 and 7.62, the former is loaded to a higher pressure. You are OK with it, remembering that the FAL was designed for the pressure generated by a bullet of around 150gr in the 7.62 caliber. You can get .308 ammo with the same weight and pressure.

hth and let us know what you end up with.

-hanko

Hoop
06-21-2012, 4:18 PM
For practical purposes you can assume that they (762x51 vs 308) are the same. Short answer.

Bladewurk
06-21-2012, 4:42 PM
Ok so you state Entreprise STG58 with Imbel upper? Some contradictory info there..

If its an STG58 parts kit assembled on an Imbel Brazilian forged upper than the quality of the parts has nothing to do with Entreprise which is good since most of their probs stem from bad (inhouse)receivers. The main issue will be assembly. If its headspaced correctly and barrel timed properly so the windage on rear sight is adequate to get zeroed than its a good rifle.
Test fire if you can. Look at the brass after firing,check the gas setting if possible..rear sight, is it centered or nearly so?

StratORcaster
06-21-2012, 5:45 PM
Ok, I got more info/pics:

Stg58c enterprise lower, 18" imbel upper recrowned and fitted with a muzzle
brake. Acurized (upper and lower lapped and precision headspaced at
enterprise). Tactical stock

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr222/BWB_album/photo4.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr222/BWB_album/photo3.jpg

BTW, that is a bushmaster varminter upper that is also in the fold.

I appreciate all of your info/help!

-hanko
06-21-2012, 6:06 PM
An stg lower doesn't carry the marking you see above the selector, unless E'prise did it when they assembled the gun.

I've bought, built and rebuilt, and shot FAL's for at least 10 or years and I've never heard of the lower and upper "precision lapped"...the upper/lower locking mechanism is ingenious in its design and the result is that the upper and lower lockup like a bank vault. If "precision lapping" were needed to get them to fit together, something started off wrong with either of the components.

Further, I'd have the gun headspaced by a competent smith before you go through with the deal. When you write "precision headspaced" it brings to mind a tightly headspaced gun designed for target shooting...shooting military ammo through a weapon with tight headspacing may cause some difficulties in feeding, extraction, and ejection. Most builders tend to headspace a few thousandths around the no-go gauge and at the same time make sure that a field gage will not allow the gun to chamber. You may sacrifice a bit of accuracy, but the FAL was designed to give minute-of-human accuracy out to well beyond 300 yds with any ammo you feed it...ergo, it's not a target gun.

hth and let us all know what you find out. Looks like a cool gun.:D

-hanko

Richard Erichsen
06-21-2012, 6:41 PM
For practical purposes you can assume that they (762x51 vs 308) are the same. Short answer.

Agreed on pressure. The differences in pressure are not significant either nominally nor in peak pressure. The confusion stems from the original use of CUPs of pressure in the NATO spec vs. PSI (piezo pressure transducer) which do not directly correlate from one method of measurement to the other.

What differs is the length of the cases and chambers, if slightly, and there remains a small risk that the .308 case may be stretched into the longer void of the 7.62 NATO chamber to the point of failure. Keeping a broken case extractor handy in the event of a head separation, some luck that you won't ever need it to get going again and have at it.

R

thedrickel
06-21-2012, 7:33 PM
I hope something is jamming the mag release.
That is the worst stock ever.
Owner probably removed the rear sight to fit his scope.
I think $800 is pushing it. 6-700 is more like it.

StratORcaster
06-21-2012, 7:36 PM
Yeah, that's about what I was thinking.

Bladewurk
06-21-2012, 9:13 PM
ok this looks like an Imbel lower and parts kit on Entreprise upper, with Tapco SAW stock and an ARMS mount. I would want a function check(testfire) and even then only about $600 max since you need rear sight (this will tell you if barrel is timed correctly)and a replacement stock . Totally disregard the "accurizing" description and check headspace if possible..IMHO

StratORcaster
06-21-2012, 9:40 PM
Thanks fellas, this helps a lot.

-hanko
06-22-2012, 5:33 AM
ok this looks like an Imbel lower and parts kit on Entreprise upper, with Tapco SAW stock and an ARMS mount. I would want a function check(testfire) and even then only about $600 max since you need rear sight (this will tell you if barrel is timed correctly)and a replacement stock . Totally disregard the "accurizing" description and check headspace if possible..IMHO
TAPCO products have no business on an FAL.;) :eek:

-hanko

Hoop
06-22-2012, 9:39 AM
If he has the original parts for it as well as some mags and it shoots/functions well I don't see why he couldn't get 700 or so for it. 600 would be a bargain.

However I wouldn't buy it with that fugly stock, no rear sight and no function check.

megamachine
06-22-2012, 9:47 PM
No problems ever with my Enterprise STG 58. It's definitely my favorite 7.62 to shoot.
If your friends tell you to stay away from Enterprise have them donate to your FN fund. In a few years you'll have enough to buy one.

StratORcaster
06-22-2012, 9:56 PM
I took a pass. I have a brand spanking new AR 308 that I need to sight in. Just fell into this as a partial trade for a guitar. Seems a bit sketchy. Thanks for the education!