PDA

View Full Version : Blow up at Davis Street

aklon
05-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I as at the Optimists Club Davis Street Range in San Leandro yesterday and while I was talking with the rangemaster he told me that the day before (Saturday) some guy shooting a .45 Long Colt fired off a double charge. KA-Blooie goes the gun, blood was everywhere, and I was told the fellow at the firing point next to the accident got some cylinder shrapnel in his arm.

Was anybody there when this happened, or can somone shed more light on this incident?

bwiese
05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Wasn't there.

But instead of being a double charge, it could also have been rifle powder in a pistol cartridge.

There's something to be said for using care in reloading.

There's also something to be said for using powder of a certain "voluminousness" such that a decent load pretty much fills the cartridge.

Fjold
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Wasn't there.

But instead of being a double charge, it could also have been rifle powder in a pistol cartridge.

There's something to be said for using care in reloading.

There's also something to be said for using powder of a certain "voluminousness" such that a decent load pretty much fills the cartridge.

How would loading a slower rifle powder in a smaller pistol case cause a detonation?

thomye
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
what's a double charge?

bwiese
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
How would loading a slower rifle powder in a smaller pistol case cause a detonation?

I dunno, but I know rifle powder in pistol rounds can result in kabooms.

jmlivingston
05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
what's a double charge?

That's a round with twice the amount of gunpowder as it's supposed to have. When loading one's on ammo it's one of many things that can go wrong and why reloaders have to be very cautious about what they are doing. While reloading is not hard, distractions and carelessness can be extremely dangerous.

John

newtothis
05-21-2007, 8:04 PM
I was there 3:30 or 4. Missed it. Things looked normal.

saki302
05-24-2007, 1:06 PM
I'd bet it was a double charge. The only way I see a (same volume) charge of slower burning rifle powder blowing something up is if it's just enough to lodge a bullet in the barrel, then the second round fired- Kaboom!!

At least the indoor ranges have those plastic booths to catch the shrapnel :P

-Dave

BigMac
05-24-2007, 2:15 PM
A powder too slow for the application can cause seriose problems if flash over occurs. If the case is not full and the entire powder charge is exposed to the blast from the primer it can cause an explosion when too much powder ignites at the same time, rather than burning through.

tankerman
05-24-2007, 5:59 PM
Could have been 1 no powder charge, does not exit barrel. Followed by a normally charged round.
45 colt powder like UNIQUE barely fill the bottom of the case. This is one reason I do not use a loading block and I seat the bullet right after the charge is thrown, so I never put the case down

aklon
05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
All well and good, but every post here is mere speculation.

Let me repeat: was anybody there who witrnessed this event or knows *exactly* what happened? There are some interesting liability issues at play.

Thanks in advance.

bwiese
05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
There are some interesting liability issues at play.

Gawd I hope not.

I would sincerely hope gunnies are not suing each other - or the range, ammo/component or firearm manufacturer - for such a mishap.

Sh*t happens. It's one thing if the guy was drunk or was trying to use C4/Semtex for a powder substitute, but otherwise I call foul.

Gunnies need to stick together and not fight over nickels & dimes.

If you are hurt and go to hospital you do *not* have to sign any papers the hospital usu thrusts in front of you (for cases like accidents, etc.) that allows 'em to sue on your behalf for fees, with the implicit threat that your treatment might be denied otherwise. This just gives them some possible profit on top of your insurance payment. You have an agreement for payment/treatment already with your health insurer, you do not have to sign anything. (And if you are not running w/health insurance you are plain stupid.)

I certainly wouldn't sue for getting some 'shrapnel' in my arm, even if it cost me a few bucks deductible, but then I am known not to be a leech.

Fjold
05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
A powder too slow for the application can cause seriose problems if flash over occurs. If the case is not full and the entire powder charge is exposed to the blast from the primer it can cause an explosion when too much powder ignites at the same time, rather than burning through.

I've seen that but the only warning I've ever seen pertained to large volume rifle cartridges with lots of air space inside.

aklon
05-25-2007, 7:25 PM
Gawd I hope not.

I would sincerely hope gunnies are not suing each other - or the range, ammo/component or firearm manufacturer - for such a mishap.

There's an unconfirmed report frrom close enough to know something (a pretty good rumor is the best way to put it) that a couple of the directors of the Optimist Club have resigned.

One never knows what novel new legal theory is / can / will be put forward here and by whom. We cannot afford to lose another range thanks to the machinations of some shyster lawyer.

aklon
05-27-2007, 4:38 PM
I talked with the range master this afternoon at Davis Street and he said the only person hurt was the shooter who had to have his finger worked on big time at Kaiser. No-one else was injured, and no lawsuits are anticipated.