PDA

View Full Version : What AK ammo to shoot at Field Time?

WiKDMoNKY
06-21-2012, 9:16 AM
I wanted go check out the new range and I noticed on the bottom of the home page it says...

"PROHIBITED AMMUNITION
Wolf, Bear, Tula, Bi-Metal, Frangible and Steel Core ammunition
of ANY caliber is strictly PROHIBITED at the range."

All I have is Wolf 7.62x39 ammo for my AK, which apparently is banned there. The ban looks like it is based on steel cased ammo presumably because they cannot reload it. What are my options?

If I do shoot brass cased ammo there, do they keep the brass or can we keep it?

Thanks in advance!

G lock
06-21-2012, 9:38 AM
Not completely sure but I think its because steel jacketed and steel core bullets pose a fire hazard and it is difficult to determine bullet type with a magnet if the case is steel as well.

Donkeypunch0420
06-21-2012, 8:42 PM
You can always look for Yugo surplus ammo. It's the only "cheap" ammo that fits your needs. Although it is brass cased, I believe it is Berdan primed so reloading will be very.....difficult. If you go for American stuff, or Prvi Partisan, the costs go up significantly.

BucDan
06-21-2012, 8:52 PM
Good luck finding the Yugo surplus though. It is pretty much bought up by everyone and the prices for them are high. I hope they get a new shipment in soon.

Not only they, the primer is corrosive. Not a big deal though when cleaning.

Rekrab
06-21-2012, 8:54 PM
Yugo or the super expensive American commercial stuff. I would call it a waste of money shooting good stuff like that indoors. That's so goofy that they restrict wolf. I can drive down to On Target and shoot bimetal all day long.

WiKDMoNKY
06-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I emailed them on their contact form this morning and have not gotten a reply yet...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

TacticalPlinker
06-22-2012, 6:00 AM
Not many options out there for the AK (believe me, I know)... But you can try Winchester (white box), Prvi Partizan and PMC. Those I know for sure are not magnetic, not steel cased and not bi-metal or steel bullets (or at least they shouldn't be).

That said, it will be expensive. About $10 per box for the Prvi and PMC, and more around $15 per box for the Winchester.

EDIT: I think Sellier Bellot should be safe as well, and around $10 per box. But I don't own any to confirm.

CSACANNONEER
06-22-2012, 6:06 AM
Find Yugo surplus and enjoy.

Why in hell would they ban frangible ammo? It's the SAFEST type of ammo to target shoot with?

UserM4
06-22-2012, 7:08 AM
Field Time definitely want your brass. They sweep up quick! Also, they have their own reloading facility next door and they push their reloads A LOT. I was shooting some hand loads and one of the workers came by and handed me a bag of theirs to try out as a sample.

It's very apparent that reload sales is a big part of their business.

high_revs
06-22-2012, 7:23 AM
Field Time definitely want your brass.

this. range also makes money from your brass. even if they don't reload, they sell it.

Yemff
06-22-2012, 7:33 AM
Good luck finding the Yugo surplus though. It is pretty much bought up by everyone and the prices for them are high. I hope they get a new shipment in soon.

Not only they, the primer is corrosive. Not a big deal though when cleaning.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8788&dir=18|830|852

klewan
06-22-2012, 7:33 AM
I think I would find another range...There used to be an indoor range up in Cotati that wouldn't allow Blazer aluminum case ammo. It cut into their brass sales plus they had to hand pick the silver cases out of the pile.

About the only way to shoot what the "Brass Nazi" will allow, without breaking the bank, it to reload. I was looking at Winchester ak ammo, $30+ a box of 20 at Grafs.

WiKDMoNKY
06-22-2012, 7:34 AM
If I ever go there, you can be damn sure I am coming home with every single brass case I bring there.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Arnelcheeze
06-22-2012, 8:13 AM
YUGO, is your best and cheapest option

BucDan
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
^If you can find any nowadays.

BruinGuy
06-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Yugo is not hard to find; there's plenty online and at any gun show. At Costa Mesa every ammo vendor had it and Miwal had tons of it at their many booths for $125/480 rounds in a .50cal can (they also sold 200 round packs but I can't remember how much they were, around $65 I think).

Ammo Bros. has Yugo in 200 round packs; can't remember how much they want for it, but that's just up in Cerritos a hop up the 605 from you. Call around, you'll probably find some at some of the OC stores I'm sure.

Another more expensive option is Fiocchi, which is often on sale at Big 5 for between $8-12/20 rounds. Still a lot cheaper than Winchester.

As far as Field Time goes, I wonder if they restrict it at an indoor range because of their backstops? Steel core tends to ricochet, and it also can penetrate metal designed to stop pistol rounds so it may damage their setup. I find it hard to believe they'd ban it because they want to sweep up brass. Most outdoor ranges in SoCal ban it because the steel core can ricochet off targets or rocks and start fires in the brush.

zfields
06-22-2012, 10:58 AM
I think I would find another range...There used to be an indoor range up in Cotati that wouldn't allow Blazer aluminum case ammo. It cut into their brass sales plus they had to hand pick the silver cases out of the pile.

About the only way to shoot what the "Brass Nazi" will allow, without breaking the bank, it to reload. I was looking at Winchester ak ammo, $30+ a box of 20 at Grafs.

Sounds like Montana Hawk. Placed sucked the big one.

BucDan
06-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Thank you! I placed orders! :D

Spdjunkie
06-22-2012, 12:02 PM
As a reloader, I have issues with any shooting range policing "my" brass. Field Time Indoor Range in Stanton has been Very accommodating with this. Its been a pleasure to shoot at FT every time.

I haven't had any issues with my brass being swept up while shooting at FT in Stanton. They do sweep often for safety reasons, as they dont want anyone slipping in a live fire shooting range. On a busy day with most of the lanes full you get A LOT of round shiny brass rolling around on the ground. For those that don't reload its a good thing. For those that do reload, just kindly let them know your collecting your brass, they will sweep clear of you. :)

Johnnyfres
06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
http://gun-deals.com/ammo

http://ammoseek.com/

Like these guys say, Yugo surplus. Some do not like it because it's corrosive but most know it will be okay if you take care of your weapon.

FourLoko
06-22-2012, 1:41 PM
Buy from a Calgunner: he posted this up last night - YUGO FS

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=586736

Richard Erichsen
06-22-2012, 6:08 PM
Field Time definitely want your brass. They sweep up quick! Also, they have their own reloading facility next door and they push their reloads A LOT. I was shooting some hand loads and one of the workers came by and handed me a bag of theirs to try out as a sample.

It's very apparent that reload sales is a big part of their business.

They reload berdan primed cartridge cases? I doubt it. Most of the folks shooting milsurp are going to be leaving berdan brass that requires special decapping tools and of course, a source for berdan primers (Tula is of course an option and aren't expensive, but I doubt that brass ever gets reloaded).

More likely they are selling brass for scrap that they can't use.

R

AJD
06-22-2012, 6:23 PM
EDIT: I think Sellier Bellot should be safe as well, and around $10 per box. But I don't own any to confirm.

The last time I checked some S&B 7.62x39 it had a Bimetal jacket, unless they've recently changed it. Most online vendors currently list it with a Bimetal jacket in the description. Even some of their handgun ammo has been known to have bimetal jackets. I know for a fact their .357 mag ammo did.

Bigtwin
06-22-2012, 8:17 PM
Find a different range if you can! In N. Cal we don't have that problem....yet! As far as others have mentioned about "policing brass" , not a chance in hell would they get any of mine.

paratroop
06-22-2012, 8:55 PM
The last time I checked some S&B 7.62x39 it had a Bimetal jacket, unless they've recently changed it. Most online vendors currently list it with a Bimetal jacket in the description. Even some of their handgun ammo has been known to have bimetal jackets. I know for a fact their .357 mag ammo did.

Yup! I know for a fact soft point 54r is non magnetic. I imagine soft point anything would be too. But most of that stuff is, like the .303 i just bought thinking i could shoot at the range. (desert trip instead!!!!)

Richard Erichsen
06-22-2012, 10:25 PM

S&B sell bi-metal jacketted rounds as a lower cost alternative to their premium line, while all Privi Partizan (PPU) are copper jacketted, lead cored and brass cased.

R

!@#$
06-23-2012, 8:31 AM
As far as Field Time goes, I find it hard to believe they'd ban it because they want to sweep up brass. Most outdoor ranges in SoCal ban it because the steel core can ricochet off targets or rocks and start fires in the brush.

they wont let you shoot wolf yellow box either. steel case non magnetic bullet...