PDA

View Full Version : Carry Weapon

chief916
06-21-2012, 6:48 AM
So i have my CCW training and qualifying this weekend.
I currently have my Sig P232 which I love and plan to carry.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a second carry firearm, or buying another to replace the Sig.

I was looking at Glock 27, or Glock 30... both felt nice had great reviews and had a pretty decent price.

Went to the store yesterday with Eddie916 and he recommended I at least check out the SA XD-40... and let me tell you I think I'm in love..

It felt great in my hand, the looks are nice, the quality appears to be right up there with the Glock and the price isn't anything to get mad at either.

I should be making my final decision and purchase this weekend, and I can't wait!

davbog44
06-21-2012, 7:12 AM
I assume at some point you will list more than one gun on your permit.

I'd keep the P232 and get some Hogue aluminum grips for it. They make the little P232 even skinnier and easier to conceal under minimal clothing, and there's times when that's a great big plus in a carry gun.

Then I'd recommend getting something in the size range of the Glock 19/23 pistols for EDC. My personal favorite is the HK P2000, but Glocks, Smith and Wesson M&P series, and the XD are all pretty darn good, and affordable. A Commander sized 1911 is a great option as well, if you are (or plan to become) a 1911 a guy.

chief916
06-21-2012, 7:13 AM
Don't like the 1911 too much personally... I plan to keep the 232 for at least a little bit... but I think ill be a 1 gun guy on the CCW for the most part.

tonyxcom
06-21-2012, 10:14 AM
You should have an additional gun on the permit. Just in case. Even if its a $400 used Glock. That way if anything happens to your primary, you will have a backup that you can carry that day and you don't have to scramble to procure another handgun and then have to qualify with it and then get your permit amended.

One is none, two is one.

I have a 19 and 26 on my permit. In addition to having the same operation and almost the same ergo's you can buy holsters that work for both.

chief916
06-21-2012, 10:16 AM
true true.

so i have read a few things in places that state the trigger on the XD-40 is one of the worst in the industry... any truth to this or fact behind this?

winnre
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I like my .40 Subcompact XD. Not the Compact but the SUBcompact. Sexy. But I do not have it listed for carry, because why carry a .40 when you can carry a .45?

Sacmedic
06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I have tried the XD full size .40, Sig P239 .40 and now the M&P compact .40. All great guns, reliable and not too hard to conceal. Get what fits your hand and is the most comfortable. The XD trigger isn't the worst, but it isn't the best either. After regular quals at my agency the M&P will be my go to for a medium off duty gun.

tonyxcom
06-21-2012, 11:17 AM
true true.

so i have read a few things in places that state the trigger on the XD-40 is one of the worst in the industry... any truth to this or fact behind this?

I can't say as I have never fired an XD or even an M&P, but I do know of several people that switched to both from Glocks because of the looks and ergos, but eventually came back to Glocks because of the triggers.

chief916
06-21-2012, 11:18 AM
yeah i am qualifying this weekend with my sig and will carry that for a bit since i don't get the XD right away.
and once i get my background check letter ill schedule my final issuance, and maybe ill get lucky and be able to get both on there right at issuance.

X231
06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I had a 230 and loved it but not the .380 round. Like others have said I'd keep the Sig and add another in case one goes down. To each their own but I much prefer a single stack gun for edc. I have a Ruger LC9 for edc and am very happy with it. I have a Sig 239 on my permit as well which I think is a better gun than the LC9 but for me it's not a better carry gun. Keep in mind that you'll be carrying it 99% of the time and shooting it 1% of the time so choose accordingly ;)

tonyxcom
06-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind that you'll be carrying it 99% of the time and shooting it 1% of the time so choose accordingly ;)

I'd hope someone would train with their EDC's at the very least monthly. So it might be more like 80/20 :)

MiddleKingdom
06-21-2012, 6:13 PM
I like the XD trigger quite a bit, but I have 3 Glocks on my permit (G27, G23 & G21). I bought them quite a few years ago so I like having high capacity mags. My friends have XDs and I am very impressed with them. The CCW instructor recommended IDPA for both fun and practical experience drawing and firing your weapon. I definitely will look into checking it out.

chief916
06-21-2012, 9:20 PM
well i went ahead and bought the Xd-40 sub compact. i get her out of jail on the 2nd.
now i just need to find out what holster i want to go with... preferably IWB... suggestions? and GO!?

SacTown
06-22-2012, 12:06 AM
well i went ahead and bought the Xd-40 sub compact. i get her out of jail on the 2nd.
now i just need to find out what holster i want to go with... preferably IWB... suggestions? and GO!?

Congrats. I have a Maxtuck hybrid IWB holster that I use for my G26. Insanely comfortable and you can buy extra kydex for additional firearms.

http://www.whitehatholsters.com/

giantsfan
06-22-2012, 6:09 AM
I have a 19 and 26 on my permit. In addition to having the same operation and almost the same ergo's you can buy holsters that work for both.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I've got two on my permit now and I'm going to replace them with a 19 and a 26, same holster.

winnre
06-22-2012, 8:11 AM

Crossbreed.

Rangem4
06-22-2012, 8:37 AM
My CCW has a LC9 Ruger, an XD 45, a SP101 357 and a Glock 40.
I primarily carry the LC-9 because I don't even know it's there.

davbog44
06-22-2012, 9:25 AM

I would suggest the Comptac MTAC. There are several similar holsters on the market now, but IMO the MTAC offers the widest range of ride height and cant adjustment. If you haven't been carrying for a long time and will sometimes be now carrying a new pistol that's a bit thicker than your P232, the wide range of adjustment ability of the MTAC will make it easy for you to find your sweet spot.

chief916
06-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I have ordered the summer comfort, it has a full return on it so if its not what i want ill take it back... i have read a lot of good things with it so i will see what happens.

Knauga
06-22-2012, 11:24 AM
I was never a fan of Glock until I bought my Glock 36. I used to carry my 1911's but it seemed like every time I holstered them, money was falling out of my pocket. Holster wear and small scratches start to be a problem.

Glocks are dead reliable, accurate, inexpensive and God forbid I have to use it, I can walk away from it without remorse if it ends up in an evidence locker for any length of time. I may add a Glock 30 to the stable soon.

There are folks out there that will only carry a $2500 Wilson Combat 1911, I say keep that in the safe and at the range, carry something where you don't care if it gets beat up. For me, my Glock is that gun.

jb7706
06-22-2012, 6:08 PM
I was never a fan of Glock until I bought my Glock 36. I used to carry my 1911's but it seemed like every time I holstered them, money was falling out of my pocket. Holster wear and small scratches start to be a problem.

Glocks are dead reliable, accurate, inexpensive and God forbid I have to use it, I can walk away from it without remorse if it ends up in an evidence locker for any length of time. I may add a Glock 30 to the stable soon.

There are folks out there that will only carry a $2500 Wilson Combat 1911, I say keep that in the safe and at the range, carry something where you don't care if it gets beat up. For me, my Glock is that gun.

Amen. It takes a lot to make a Glock not run. Add to the above that rust is a non issue (sweat or police lockers.) Holster wear on a Glock just adds character. Common enough that it's unlikely to find it's way in to a personal collection if it does go to the evidence locker.

The Glock 30 is a great addition BTW. It's my primary carry gun.