PDA

View Full Version : Noveske KX-3, a FH?

DubCee
06-20-2012, 8:17 PM
I was window shopping the other day for a FH and I stumbled upon the noveske kx-3. It is registered as a FH, so it can't be used on a featureless rifle. What part of it suppresses flash? It just looks like an open can. I even google imaged pics of the thing and it shows big giant balls of fire being spit out of that thing.

rogtac
06-20-2012, 8:26 PM
ATF considers it a flash hider, but depending on where you stand, it looks like a flame thrower...hence, the "Flaming Pig" alias. It was designed for short barrels, directing the muzzle blast forward.

DubCee
06-20-2012, 11:50 PM
seems like a waste of a muzzle device. If I wanted great balls of fire to come out of my AR, I would have gotten the surefire brake. At least with the surefire, its dampening recoil. It looks like the KX3 doesn't reduce noise/ flash, nor does it fight muzzle rise.

tomd1584
06-20-2012, 11:56 PM
It's designed to increase back pressure on short barrels. Completely useless on any barrel longer than 11", IMO.

rogtac
06-21-2012, 12:07 AM
seems like a waste of a muzzle device. If I wanted great balls of fire to come out of my AR, I would have gotten the surefire brake. At least with the surefire, its dampening recoil. It looks like the KX3 doesn't reduce noise/ flash, nor does it fight muzzle rise.

The KX3 is effective in directing the muzzle blast forward. This makes it a "friendlier" close quarters muzzle device...not obnoxious to teammates or neighboring shooters. The concussion from a short barrel is greatly reduced (redirected) with this device.

Chaos47
06-21-2012, 2:32 AM
I was window shopping the other day for a FH and I stumbled upon the noveske kx-3. It is registered as a FH, so it can't be used on a featureless rifle. What part of it suppresses flash? It just looks like an open can. I even google imaged pics of the thing and it shows big giant balls of fire being spit out of that thing.

Never seen one fired in person but the CA definition of a flash suppressor is

(b) “flash suppressor” means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.

It's quite possible that it does do that, especially since a common feature (although not a legal stand point) of a Flash Suppressor is an open end larger then the muzzle.

But yes defiantly not legal in CA on a featureless. They call it a FH, advertise it as a FH, it has features of a FH and actually has a ATF letter touting it as a FH.

If you want to window shop some more check out the link in my sig. Tons of muzzle devices reviewed for the CA legality on featureless builds.

L4D
06-21-2012, 5:33 AM
It works as advertised in my 7.5" barrel. Blast goes forward, flash goes
Forward looks just like the little piggie on the picture.

DubCee
06-24-2012, 3:11 PM
thanks guys/gals. I decided to rock the battlecomp 2.0 black oxide. That MD will go on a 14.7 pinned LWRC SPR