View Full Version : AR15 Cleaning/Lubing combo

XDm .40
06-20-2012, 2:35 PM
Looking to see if anyone has found a good combo of cleaning/lubing materials. Im just trying to see if any two items work better together than any two other items. I heard carb cleaner and then 10w 30 went well together. Any suggestions?

06-20-2012, 2:36 PM

06-20-2012, 2:50 PM
+1 ^ BreakFree CLP worked well for me when I was in the Corps.

06-20-2012, 3:08 PM
Whatever cleaning fluid you want
Pretty much any synthetic oil will work as well as most light synthetic greases

06-20-2012, 3:42 PM
Frog Lube. Smells good too.

06-20-2012, 3:49 PM
A can of BreakFree CLP is always in my shooting box when I go to the range.
It's save my butt many a time. :D

XDm .40
06-20-2012, 4:08 PM
So would the BreakFree be used as your cleaner or your lube? Or.... Both?! lol

06-20-2012, 4:09 PM

06-20-2012, 4:09 PM
Both homeboy...and the longer its on the cleaner the part ....its pretty good stuff!! A must for anu zombie bag!

06-20-2012, 4:13 PM
I do Gun Scrubber for the initial gunk, then Hoppes #9, then clean patches to get off all the solvents, then RemOil. Been doing all my LE service weapons that way since at least the early 90's.

I know the military services train CLP, but my theory has always been they are trying to split the difference between something that works while not having to use a bunch of different products. Personally, I've never been too comfortable with any "all in one" cleaner / lubricators.

XDm .40
06-20-2012, 4:15 PM
Good point.

06-20-2012, 4:21 PM
Slip2000 EWL lasts a lot longer than CLP and it's non-toxic. You can use the lube for cleaning as well, or you can pick up their degreaser and carbon cleaner products, which are also non-toxic. I used to clean with Hopees but I'm done with toxic fumes.

06-20-2012, 5:17 PM
ATF and ATF. It has greater staying power than CLP and IMHO it does what CLP can just better/cheaper

XDm .40
06-20-2012, 5:19 PM
I think I'll order some of that too. The reason I was asking is because I would like to find a good combo and wasn't really sure which direction to go. Thank you all for your input.

06-20-2012, 6:51 PM
CLP and Tetra Lube. Tetra is synthetic so its not affected much by the heat and cold. Its pretty thick too so it actually stays on for hundreds of rounds

06-20-2012, 7:14 PM
slip 2000 is good stuff

trigger hippie
06-20-2012, 8:04 PM
If you are a benchrest shooter or simply obsessive-compulsive about gun cleanliness like me, I've found a pretty good combination just from researching break-in procedure.

I use Shooter's Choice (cheap and easy to find) JB Bore Paste (cheap and slightly harder to find, you'll need to go to Brownell's), and Kroil (which is apparently freaking unobtainable). I got a bore guide and a Dewey one-piece cleaning rod - I hate the thought of scratching up the inside of my barrel with a multi-piece rod. I did the FrogLube thing, it's good, though the scent of mint is slightly overpowering and it seems to seep a bit throughout my 1911 after firing it a good bit. This combination of Shooter's Choice/Bore Paste/Kroil, though, is like... I don't know if there's a word for it, dirt-icide? Dirticide with extreme prejudice.

In particular Kroil, if you can manage to get it, is the bee's kneecaps for cleaning guns. I tried this regimen on my 1911 after shooting ~300 rounds through her and letting her sit a day... You know when you get machine parts from the factory and they're so clean they're kind of sticky? That's how the gun felt before I oiled it back up. The Kroil smells so bad it's kind of astounding, but it lubricates and penetrates through the tiny little bits of my 1911 like nothing I've ever seen; she's been sitting the safe about a week and she still smells funky and wet from the Kroil. That stuff is something else.

If I may pause a moment to advise - if you are not a f***-around type of guy and you don't keep a f***-around kind of gun, I suggest you not f*** around when it comes to maintaining your weapons :) I know that the "CLP and

trigger hippie
06-20-2012, 8:05 PM
dangit double post