PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Never happy always wanting to change rifles.

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 7:15 AM
Im at the point where building another rifle is out of the question. I was building what I told myself and my friends was my last rifle. I finished it, and since it was off my mind, all I can think about is what I want to do next. Its the next stage of BRD for me. Never ending cycle of wanting to change scopes, barrels, and sights. My current thought is to change my 16" hammer forged chrome lined upper with acog to a stainless barreled upper with a 1-4x. But I'm afraid to get started because when Im done, Ill just be thinking about what I want next.....where is a support group.....

TacticalPlinker
06-20-2012, 7:24 AM
...where is a support group.....

Right here buddy. It's called CalGuns.net, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have the same "addiction" as you have. I know it's cost me a lot of money, I can never leave anything alone and I'm never happy... Change aside, I always want more guns, more ammo and more gear regardless. Unfortunately I don't have the bank account some members do to sufficiently support my "habit". :(

jsipe007
06-20-2012, 7:26 AM
Hmmm... so you mean I'm not the only one who does this?? LOL

I started my AR as a budget build... and have since gone slightly over my budget lol the rifle ended up being a quality rifle though and I got a sweet EOTech at a great deal... clearly that didnt help my budget much though lol

What is it you'd like your AR-15 to be able to do?

m03
06-20-2012, 7:35 AM
Like a cat, sometimes we're more excited by the chase than the kill.

I think the solution is to absolutely commit to a single rifle or configuration, and then pour your energy into becoming a better shooter with the equipment you already have. Otherwise, you'll gimp yourself by never being able to be familiar/comfortable with your setup due to constantly changing it.

shadowofnight
06-20-2012, 7:41 AM
A couple years back, looked in safe and it was full ...had some rifles I wasnt using so they got sold.

Bought/made new ones to replace them.

Now the safe is full again, want another new toy...go in safe to see what I could sell...all I say is...

Hell no....Hell no...Hell no...absolutely nothing in there I want to part with now.

Time for second safe. :p

JDW67
06-20-2012, 7:47 AM
Try building cars, you'll never go back to guns...

Metal Magic
06-20-2012, 7:49 AM
I have a cure for the BRD listen .. . . . .

you need to start shooting (more) pistols,

I know its not what you want to hear but,

get yourself a nice pistol and a bunch of ammo and it will help take your mind off of the BRD

Worked for me . . . . . sort of

Yemff
06-20-2012, 7:50 AM
Probably the best thing to do is stop coming on calguns :eek:

skkeeter
06-20-2012, 7:50 AM
The real cure to all of you who are never satisfied with your rifles is you simply don't shoot them enough. Too much tinkering and pondering on how they look and not how they function.

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 7:54 AM
Well i have different optics on guns right now 10x scope, acogs, and red dots that i practice all with. I QD dismount the red dot to practice irons, but my other thought is to have a dedicated irons upper. This 16" ss with 1-4x makes me think im filling some sort of void in my collection.

TwinStick
06-20-2012, 7:54 AM
I don't see this as a problem. Do people with other hobbies feel bad that they're constantly upgrading, changing and customizing? Any hobby is expensive, at least with guns they hold value better than other toys. Some could even be considered investments. Can't say that for any of my other hobbies.

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 7:56 AM
Try building cars, you'll never go back to guns...

If by building you mean things like transplanting my own engines and stuff like that, i really cant afford that....

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 8:00 AM
I have a cure for the BRD listen .. . . . .

you need to start shooting (more) pistols,

I know its not what you want to hear but,

get yourself a nice pistol and a bunch of ammo and it will help take your mind off of the BRD

Worked for me . . . . . sort of

Tried going back. I think about the rifle line when im shooting it, but i know i need to maintain my pistol shooting so I force some practice on occasion.

GettoPhilosopher
06-20-2012, 8:16 AM
I've had the same problem in the past, but I feel like I'm finally getting past it.

I built my first AR a few years back: a midlength 16" carbine with a bullet button and iron sights. I enjoyed it, but I eventually got the hankering for a RIFLE. So I sold parts and reconfigured it into a M16A4 clone. Shot that a lot, LOVED it, eventually got an ACOG for it. Then I realized that I still had a pretty crappy barrel, and wasn't sure about the non-floating RIS (KAC M5)....so I swapped in a free float rail. At that point, I'd crossed a line...it was no longer a M16A4, so other changes soon followed. Low Pro gas block, new grip, a WOA SDM-R barrel, a PRS stock and a Geissele SSA-E trigger to go with it.

I'm happy with it now. It's actually the most fun of all my rifles to shoot. But about halfway through that project, I started hankering for a carbine again. I thought about it, and realized the reason I'd been flip flopping was because they had different roles to play, and I'd been trying to pick either/or. So I had a carbine with an eotech, and that was fun, but it wasn't the same as a rifle with an ACOG....

So I built another one: Spikes midlength with an Eotech and magnifier. The Eotech/magnifier was heavy and I didn't enjoy it, so I sold that. Then I read the Dissy thread, and turned it into a dissy with an A2 stock. That was fun, but too long/heavy, so I got a new (lighter, more accurate) barrel, a shorter stock, and a new rail, plus a Vortex SPARC. Etc, etc, etc....

You can go on forever, but the point is...figure out what need(s) you're trying to meet, then figure out how to meet those needs in the most efficient and economical way possible. For me, that meant 3 ARs: a featureless Dissy carbine with SPARC (short, light, fast, low recoil), a 20" SDM-R ish clone with ACOG (long, but still fairly light, smooth shooting, accurate, easy to shoot from 50y-500y), and a 20" precision AR308 with Viper PST 4-16FFP (accurate, low recoil, long range, good optic).

There's still part of me that wants to add more.....a 7.5" or 10" AR pistol, a cheap but fun M16A4 clone again, a 14.5" pencil barreled, polymer lower ultra-lightweight carbine, a .300 Blackout upper for my featureless lower, etc....but for now, this is good; it scratches my itches. ;)

luchador768
06-20-2012, 8:31 AM
Start shooting and reloading. It slowed my gun buying fairly well.

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 8:40 AM
Id love to shoot more, I try going once a month, its not enough for me. It could be part of the cause.

IPSICK
06-20-2012, 8:40 AM
Compete in action shooting (especially ones with some long range shots). You'll figure out real quick what configuration you'll want. Especially if you want your rifle to do a mix of a lot of things.

luchador768
06-20-2012, 8:51 AM
Don't go into gun shops and stay away from on-lone stores! Everytime I go on BCM's site I spend a small fortune!

Standard
06-20-2012, 9:05 AM
Stop reading about the newest tactical application on the internet.

trigger hippie
06-20-2012, 9:09 AM
I have this problem too. Serious BRD, always messing with my accessories. Always buying more crap for it.

I don't have a cure, but I do have a suggestion -

STAY AWAY FROM BOLT RIFLES. You may find yourself down the line looking at a $2500 credit card charge from Surgeon Rifles on your bill and wondering when the hell you're going to shoot your new superb bolt what with your three other rifles and two other handguns.

"This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife! What am I doing here?"

trigger hippie
06-20-2012, 9:09 AM
I have this problem too. Serious BRD, always messing with my accessories. Always buying more crap for it.

I don't have a cure, but I do have a suggestion -

STAY AWAY FROM BOLT RIFLES. You may find yourself down the line looking at a $2500 credit card charge from Surgeon Rifles on your bill and wondering when the hell you're going to shoot your new superb bolt what with your three other rifles and two other handguns.

"This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife! What am I doing here?"

EDIT: No... wait... more like $4500.... damn now I have to look at the Nightforce site and find a good scope... AAAAAAAAAGHH

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 9:21 AM
Compete in action shooting (especially ones with some long range shots). You'll figure out real quick what configuration you'll want. Especially if you want your rifle to do a mix of a lot of things.

This is something Im interested in but hesitant to start. Anyone in so cal know where an action shooting comp is held around here?

M1Kev
06-20-2012, 9:43 AM
12 step for BRD:
1. Buy a rifle
2. buy equipment for rifle
3. shoot rifle
4. buy more ammo
5. buy new rifle
6. by equipment for new rifle
7. shoot both rifles
8. buy more ammo
9. buy new rifle
10. buy new equipment for third rifle
11. shoot all three rifles
12. hide from wife

you can never free yourself from an addiction, but you can manage it!
:whistling:

sharxbyte
06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Have you done any 80%s yet? if so have you done any 10 or 0%s? :P

deviljon
06-20-2012, 10:33 AM
OP, I feel you man, I feel you.

I see so many different nice setups and configurations that I just want to have one of each. Doesn't help to have an addictive type of personality.

I honestly think if someone gave me $20k to blow on guns, I would spend it overnight and still not be satisfied.

jsipe007
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I decided to get into 3 gun shooting... My equipment is very reliable, not top of the line, so its perfect for what I want! It opens up a whole new world to me that i'd never known... :) I spend less time buying new rifles and more time doing simple mods to my current ones, as well as practice often. Its not a solution, but it may keep ya from buying complete rifles for the time being!

starsnuffer
06-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Some people like building them, some people like collecting gear, some people like shooting them. Everyone is different.

-W

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
I decided to get into 3 gun shooting... My equipment is very reliable, not top of the line, so its perfect for what I want! It opens up a whole new world to me that i'd never known... :) I spend less time buying new rifles and more time doing simple mods to my current ones, as well as practice often. Its not a solution, but it may keep ya from buying complete rifles for the time being!

Where do you 3gun and as a first timer how did you start going....as in, did u just show up or did you have someone with experience go with you? I think Id like to find someone to go with.

shoebox56
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Start shooting and reloading. It slowed my gun buying fairly well.

+1

Reloading adds a whole other dimension to this hobby. May even get into other rifles where ammo is either too cost restrictive or unavailable.

russ69
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I've got BRD pretty bad, no cure for the last 35 years. The one thing that slows me down is shooting and reloading for one rifle. I have one rifle that I have a lot of rounds down the pipe, I know that rifle inside and out. It's not as pretty as my other rifles but it's the one I'm most comfortable with. It's the one I'll never sell. Pick one out and spend some time with it.

Jpach
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I have the same problem. So far I've had like 3 or 4 different uppers, when I've always wanted an LMT MRP. I'm in the same boat as you now except for the fact that I'm SURE that I am getting rid of my upper to help purchase the LMT.

I also need to shoot more, I haven't gone shooting in like half a year!!!! I used to shoot a decent amount but lately I've been just so busy with work and life that I haven't been able to do what I love most.

S470FM
06-20-2012, 11:38 AM
denial is the first step of addiction and you fellows are in denial. face it, your BRD is incurable. I caught mine on a Friday night 25 years ago in a seedy part of town. I'm 33 now (do the math) and own as many guns as I am old. My biggest regret you ask? no it wasn't owning more preban rifles, it was missing the opportunity to buy an original Parker Bros side by side shotgun for $300--a year later and I still cry for the one that got away.

There is no cure for your BRD my friend, there is only treatment and comfort in knowing that you have a place like calguns.net to share your enthusiasm and passion for what's rightfully ours--2A.

I have to get some cream for my BRD, it's starting to flare up and itch for an AK build.

sharxbyte
06-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I have to get some cream for my BRD, it's starting to flare up and itch for an AK build.

I hear Hoppes 9 or CLP both work well ;)

jsipe007
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately Evolution, I'm in Nevada (Reno to be precise) so I don't know where you could go. Here at the range in Reno and the one in Carson City, they sometimes have three gun competitions. Most arent more than just a fun day at the range (no real tournaments under my belt lol but I'd like to get good enough one day!) but I overheard a few of my coworkers talking about one and tagged along with em. My advice would be to check the local ranges and bulletin boards. I am still pretty new to 3 gun shooting but I love it so far and every day at the range I get better :)

IPSICK
06-20-2012, 1:18 PM
You can check in the competition forum to see where you could get started in SoCal. Places I hear popping up are Pala, Norco, and Piru. Sorry not from SoCal so I'm not sure if these are close to you. You could PM Calgunners like Highlander51 and Superset. I believe they are from SoCal and could get you in the right direction.

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the direction - Norco is within acceptable driving distance from me, about an hour or so give or take 10 mins. I'll have to look it up.

smittty
06-20-2012, 7:50 PM
I seem to always be on the lookout for my next rifle project. I'm still not satisfied with my favorite AR but I have forced myself to leave it alone.

I seem to switch my attention between ar's/pistol/shotguns and non-gun hunting/camping gear.

EvolutionGSR
06-20-2012, 7:57 PM
Hmmm Maybe I should buy a nice semi auto shotgun

TNP'R
06-20-2012, 8:05 PM
A couple years back, looked in safe and it was full ...had some rifles I wasnt using so they got sold.

Bought/made new ones to replace them.

Now the safe is full again, want another new toy...go in safe to see what I could sell...all I say is...

Hell no....Hell no...Hell no...absolutely nothing in there I want to part with now.

Time for second safe. :p

With you on this one. I won't sell my firearms for nothing, I think they'll only part with me when I leave this earth until then i'll just buy new ones and add to the collection.

darqhelmet
06-20-2012, 8:19 PM
I am broke for the time being. But I have 3 lowers just waiting to be built so I feel your pain. 6 AR15's and an entire safe of other toys.....

pc_load_letter
06-20-2012, 8:20 PM
I was bouncing around from AR to AR, getting a new one about every five months or so. Not happy with any of them. Picked up a SCAR 16s last year and haven't look at an AR pattern rifle since.