PDA

View Full Version : Examined the American rifle today,

smittty
06-19-2012, 11:41 PM
LGS had two on the shelf and I got to handle and examine both real close. I'm very impressed!

Who has one and how does it shoot? How does the recoil feel being it's so light weight?

Thanks,

Colt562
06-20-2012, 7:47 AM
I picked one up when they first came out in 308, the recoil was really nothing for me because I had a steady surface, I through a bipod from ruger and a scope from redfield and must say its one of my favorite rifle set ups, all my accessories are made in the USA, I would suggest Putting one in jail as soon as possible

Coyotegunner
06-20-2012, 7:55 AM
I would like to know if they are accurate.I have known the 77 line to be only OK.Looks like the American is about 1/2 the cost of a 77 these days.It looks to be cheaper to produce.I have been surprised with the Tikkas.They are cheap looking,but OH they shoot.

trob
06-20-2012, 8:21 AM
I would like to know if they are accurate.I have known the 77 line to be only OK.Looks like the American is about 1/2 the cost of a 77 these days.It looks to be cheaper to produce.I have been surprised with the Tikkas.They are cheap looking,but OH they shoot.

But Tikkas are 6-$700. And a bargain at that. I'm not really a fan of ruger centerfire rifles because all of them seem to have a reputation for so-so accuracy. For bolt guns under a grand, I'd rather stick with savage, tikka, or CZ.

FMJBT
06-20-2012, 3:21 PM
The reviews and magazine articles have all had favorable things to say about it's accuracy. They also get paid to write good things about products so that they will sell.... I'm waiting to hear real world accuracy results from this rifle as well. I really like the action design and the short bolt throw. I suppose if nothing else, it's still cheaper than most custom actions. Buy it, gut it, rebuild it with a heavy barrel and decent stock, etc. It would be nice if it turns out to be a shooter right out of the box though.

Joey_H
06-20-2012, 3:40 PM
I sincerely hope they make that rifle in a left handed version!

smittty
06-20-2012, 7:32 PM
[QUOTE=FMJBT;8789282]The reviews and magazines get paid to write good things about products so that they will sell.[QUOTE]
[
That is exactly why I asked who has one and how well it shoots. You can't go by the reviews because they get paid to say good things about a product even it it's crap.

I considered the Tikka T3 Lite but honestly like the feel of the American better and the tang safety is huge plus to me. The Tikka also holds less in the magazine.

I would love to see the American in 223 rem. I think it would make the perfect first rifle for my son and it would be fun to shoot because the ammo is cheap compared to 243 or 308.

I'm not in a rush to buy another rifle.

Josh3239
06-20-2012, 9:20 PM
The receiver is bedded, free floated barrel, adjustable trigger (not a great trigger though iirc), uses the rotary mag, and 100% USA made. With good ammo, good scope, and the trigger tuned it is capable of shooting an 1'' at 100 yards at best. But really, it is a budget rifle. Good starter, they are clearly banking on it being 100% US made with the cool name and being affordable. Good starter rifle sure, but IMO a beginner will outgrow it.