PDA

View Full Version : WASR 10/63?

mreed
06-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, im normally a big ar fan, but lately ive been wanting an AK47, a buddy of mine is selling a wasr 10/63 for 400$ and i was wondering if anyone has owned one / owns one first hand that can tell me are known issues or what to look out for? ive shot it before and it seemed pretty good but i wasnt really looking out for anything specific wrong with it, just trying out his rifle, PS it was bought earlier this year if that helps you on when it was imported etc.

Thanks for your knowledge Calguns :)

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
400 is a decent deal since you don't have to pay tax and all. The most popular WASR issues are canted front sights and magazine wobble.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
It may not be the prettiest AK but its still a AK and if you use decent magazines, it shouldn't give you any reliability problems

mreed
06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks, ill have to look out for those

jpm804
06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Seeing that you were able to test fire it is a big plus versus buying one brand new untested.

Just check the sights aren't canted and I think that is a good ak platform to start with.

mreed
06-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys, yea him and my other friend ( a member of this forum) both have some and i shoot them when we go to the range, they seem good, but like i said, never checked for magazine wobble etc, what magazines should i use for checking for wobble? polymer? standard double stack metal? and do these have chrome lined barrels correct?

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-20-2012, 1:02 AM
Its hard to say, some WASR's are milled better than others. Unless you have a lot of money or are super nit picky, stick to steal mags made in any country besides USA. Not all USA mags suck but do you want to spend money to "research?"

MrPlink
06-20-2012, 1:08 AM
No Wasrs are milled, they are all stamped. Canted sights are a cosmetic issue, the sights would have to be INCREBLY canted for it be a functional issue, and even at that a very easy thing to fix.

That said, 400 is a good deal, go for it.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-20-2012, 1:10 AM
I meant the magazine area, not the receiver

ZX-10R
06-20-2012, 6:16 AM
$400 is cheap. Mag wobble is exaggerated issue. Canted sites can be fixed. Looks are nothing...A lot of people go for BFPU or gloss black beauty and other finishes. A rough finish has nothing to do with performance. If you have shot it and it was accurate for you, your friend is doing you a favor and you are not returning it by not buying it.

CSACANNONEER
06-20-2012, 6:22 AM
400 is a decent deal since you don't have to pay tax and all. The most popular WASR issues are canted front sights and magazine wobble.

The beauty of AKs is that they were designed to be manufactured with loose tolerances. Most people who complain about canted sites have never even fired their guns and don't know that their rifle is sighted in just fine. It's purely a cosmetic issue which should be a non-issue. Mag wobble is only something keyboard commandos beach about. There are so many different mags out there that some SHOULD wobble while others might be a bit tight.

Johnnyfres
06-20-2012, 8:15 AM
Damn why can't I ever come across great deals like this. If you do not buy it let me know, I'll take it off your friends hands :D

mreed
06-20-2012, 8:20 AM
Thanks calguns ! Yea I'm deffinenty going to buy it. 400 is just too good to pass up on. If I bought one otd it would be 550ish where as this will only be 425 otd

ChaneRZ
06-20-2012, 8:34 AM
Get it while it is cheap. WASR are g2g.

Chaos47
06-20-2012, 9:25 AM
Get it! 400 is a good deal in today's market. The WASR issues are hugely blown out of proportion and propagated by people that have no first hand knowledge.

I love my WASR, never had a single issue from it.

Speedpower
06-20-2012, 9:43 AM
I use Chinese made Magazines on my WASR, and it does not wobble at all!
the problem with people mocking the WASR's being canted front sights are the one's that never have a WASR! my WASR is Perfect!

SilverTauron
06-20-2012, 9:51 AM
Agreed. I've handled two WASR 10s , one a used "older" model and a brand new one. The old one had serious magazine wobble, to the degree that the word "dangling" might be appropriate. The new WASR10 is light years better than the old one in that regard, its got the same mag wobble you'd find in an AR or other service rifle. The wobbly used one I handled was selling for $425 , so you have a great deal at hand.

Mamluke
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey guys, im normally a big ar fan, but lately ive been wanting an AK47, a buddy of mine is selling a wasr 10/63 for 400$

.... you've seen the light eh? .... http://noconsensus.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/i_have_seen_the_light1.jpg

GO for it, but make sure it takes double stack AK mags, as opposed to the single stack wasr's ....

Actually, I like AR's too .... :D .... :hide: ....

mreed
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
i just love shooting their AK's everytime we go out and its just time i got my own :D

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-20-2012, 1:23 PM
Just because some of you were lucky to have decent ones doesn't mean the issues were exaggerated. The point is, its a hit and miss when Centery puts the WASR's together. To keep it simple, do a thorough inspection of a couple before making a final decision if one was to buy one. This situation is the best anyone can ask for. Low cost, get to shoot before purchase, and he knows minor history of the rifle before he buys it

MrPlink
06-20-2012, 1:43 PM
No offense "Dont shoot" but I really dont think you are up to speed here as it sounds like you are just spitting out things you read on the net.

Wasrs are NOT made by Cai, just imported. Cugir makes them.

Your suggested inspection is all but worthless to anything but cosmetics.

CSACANNONEER
06-20-2012, 3:01 PM
Just because some of you were lucky to have decent ones doesn't mean the issues were exaggerated. The point is, its a hit and miss when Centery puts the WASR's together. To keep it simple, do a thorough inspection of a couple before making a final decision if one was to buy one. This situation is the best anyone can ask for. Low cost, get to shoot before purchase, and he knows minor history of the rifle before he buys it

Lets just say some of us have a little more real world experience shooting and even manufacturing AKs than others. Since WASRs are built in the same Romainian AK factory that has built millions of AKs for militaries around the globe and you think Century builds them here, you're experience and knowledge regarding AKs are questionable at best. Again, the "issues" you keep refering to are really non-issues that inexperienced shooters but experienced keyboard commandos have found and decided to complain about. Before you swallow that foot in your mouth, you might want to get a little background info on the guys who you want to disagree with. I'll give you a little hint about me, just go into my history and look at some of the threads I've started in the last three years. You'll find I have "a little" hands on experience. How about you? What are your real world/non-internet experiences with manufacturing, trouble shooting and quality control of AK type firearms?

MrExel17
06-20-2012, 3:02 PM
$400 better jump on that.Congrats!

ZX-10R
06-20-2012, 4:18 PM
Get it! 400 is a good deal in today's market. The WASR issues are hugely blown out of proportion and propagated by people that have no first hand knowledge.

I love my WASR, never had a single issue from it.

Amen brother.

ZX-10R
06-20-2012, 4:23 PM

Greatly exaggerated. The fix is simple and all over the web for canted sights. Mag wobble again effects nothing. If you are thinking the looks effect the accuracy then an AR is a better fit. Perpetuating BS does nothing but help those who know have better selection. Quite a few people have multiple WASRs because they are cheap. I have had 3 with no issues but I agree with you...I knew what to look for.

Chaos47
06-20-2012, 4:51 PM

Thanks for proving my point, propagated by people who have no clue.

People have been saying WASR's suck for a long time, it was the cool thing to do and jump on the band wagon. Funny thing is that WASR's work and are still being sold. Now people are starting to wake up and stop telling stories they once read and realize that they are actually solidly built.

If the rumors where true then they wouldn't still be on the market and demanding prices almost double what I payed for mine back in the day...

BTW You do realize that for every 1 gun complained about there are thousands of that model that aren't complained about because they don't have issues.
(not just talking about WASR's pretty much any pistol or rifle ever made)

S470FM
06-20-2012, 6:02 PM
guys, don't shoot! he's Chinese.

get the rifle, $400 is a great deal. Whatever "issues" you might or might not have is irrelevant unless you plan on going into battle with the rifle.

KAIFS
06-20-2012, 9:42 PM
http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/hunting/firearms/rifles/century-intl-arms-wasr-10-semi-automatic-rifle-ri1166n brand new in every fleet farm in WI :) - come here and support our economy.
If I post how unimpressed I was with one of these, I will be in minority. So I am just going to shut up :)

mreed
06-21-2012, 12:16 AM
All sides are allowed to chime in don't be afraid :)

Speedpower
06-21-2012, 9:11 AM
http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/hunting/firearms/rifles/century-intl-arms-wasr-10-semi-automatic-rifle-ri1166n brand new in every fleet farm in WI :) - come here and support our economy.
If I post how unimpressed I was with one of these, I will be in minority. So I am just going to shut up :)

What is the use of posting the link? it shows out of stock! :facepalm:

acolytes
06-21-2012, 9:41 AM
Wow, AK prices have been going up quite a bit in the last few years. I'd jump on that opportunity.

KAIFS
06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
What is the use of posting the link? it shows out of stock! :facepalm:
Its in EVERY store that carries firearms. Its in-store, same as mosins.

dre147
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
I would definitely get it I just got a WASR 10/63 and love it sights are right on and very little to no wobble depending on mag, I am very happy with it. GO for it.

dre147
06-21-2012, 10:23 AM
If you dont get it I will wheres he at?

KAIFS
06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
All sides are allowed to chime in don't be afraid :)

My beef with wasr10:
Unpredictable quality, one functions fine another wobbles everywhere. So, its the kind of purchase you better make in person and handle it. Trigger was my biggest complaint, but - it was not mine.
You cant hit nothing with it - at 100m you will be spraying all over. Mosin with smooth bore (worn rifling) shoots more accurately.
I realize there are limitations in CA and changing a mag might not be as quick and easy, but, i honestly would hesitate to rapid fire 3 or more 30rd double stack mags thru that thing. I ended up not buying one because i did not want to 'fix' a brand new firearm and i found it very lightly build, thus limiting plinking sessions in need of cooling.
I did not care for two psl i owned either, thus these are sold now- perhaps i am too much of a critic and wont be happy with anything unless it somewhat resembles groups at 100

MrPlink
06-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh boy...

Szabi B
06-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I own a wasr 10/63 and for 400.00 u will not regret buying that rifle. get it

S470FM
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM
who really cares about groups with an AK? as long as you can hit a man-sized target at 100m, that's all that really matters--it's not meant to be a precision shooter, it's a battle rifle designed for close combat.

...just sayin'

MrPlink
06-21-2012, 12:38 PM
who really cares about groups with an AK? as long as you can hit a man-sized target at 100m, that's all that really matters--it's not meant to be a precision shooter, it's a battle rifle designed for close combat.

...just sayin'

true, but if you cant group with an AK you either 1) do not actually know what groupings are 2) suck as a shooter

mreed
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
just did the dros for the wasr this morning, it was good! sights were good, miniscule mag wobble (just as much as my AR has), finish was roughetc but it was a good price, i didnt buy it to just look beautiful :P

ZX-10R
06-25-2012, 6:20 PM
My beef with wasr10:
Unpredictable quality, one functions fine another wobbles everywhere. So, its the kind of purchase you better make in person and handle it. Trigger was my biggest complaint, but - it was not mine.
You cant hit nothing with it - at 100m you will be spraying all over. Mosin with smooth bore (worn rifling) shoots more accurately.
I realize there are limitations in CA and changing a mag might not be as quick and easy, but, i honestly would hesitate to rapid fire 3 or more 30rd double stack mags thru that thing. I ended up not buying one because i did not want to 'fix' a brand new firearm and i found it very lightly build, thus limiting plinking sessions in need of cooling.
I did not care for two psl i owned either, thus these are sold now- perhaps i am too much of a critic and wont be happy with anything unless it somewhat resembles groups at 100

Don't make me post my WASR shots at 100yrds... Not a pixxing contest but even my Draco at 50yrds is a champ. I do a lot of shooting ,standing, off hand as well...I'll go shooting with you if you are in an around my area. I do shoot my AK patterns more than my AR though...So let's just say I have quite a few thousand rounds through one of them...A lot of thousands. :43:

ZX-10R
06-25-2012, 6:27 PM
true, but if you cant group with an AK you either 1) do not actually know what groupings are 2) suck as a shooter

LOL. Amen brother.

Yeah I can shoot rapid fire and still know it is a kill shot...Now if I want to do it consistently...That is the challenge.

You mean you can pull a trigger quick and not know where it is going? Give me your ammo and I'll shoot it...Then I will give you some stones to :Dthrow at the target.

ZX-10R
06-25-2012, 6:28 PM
just did the dros for the wasr this morning, it was good! sights were good, miniscule mag wobble (just as much as my AR has), finish was roughetc but it was a good price, i didnt buy it to just look beautiful :P

Good job. Post pics.

mreed
06-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Will do once i pick her up!

mreed
06-26-2012, 2:16 PM
Just ordered a featureless wrap for it and a 10/30 steel magazine for it, i despise the AK BB.

MrPlink
06-26-2012, 2:41 PM
Just ordered a featureless wrap for it and a 10/30 steel magazine for it, i despise the AK BB.

smart man

JBaus
07-03-2012, 9:29 PM
will be getting my WASR (hopefully) next weekend...depending on the seller. I'm quite excited and eager to take it out to the range to check it out. For $400....get it! you can definitely flip it to break even or make a few bucks. ;D haha!

mreed
07-04-2012, 1:01 PM
2 more days until pick up :nopity:

JBaus
07-08-2012, 8:44 PM
2 more days until pick up :nopity:

So you've picked it up and it's out of jail? Or have you bought and now waiting for the 10/24 hour periods?

If you've shot it yet, how is it so far?

ChaneRZ
07-08-2012, 8:48 PM
Yup where is it!