PDA

View Full Version : New AR Purchase Help!!!

jdm*fiend
06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
So ill be buying my first Ar and have decided on a Daniel Defense. really like the DDM4v5 which is a mid length gas system with flat top rail. i dont like the fixed sights so really like this one so i will be putting flip up sights and possibly an optic or red dot eventually. only thing i cant decide on now is they have 2 versions a govt profile barrel and a lightweight barrel. i hear mixed things about both so if u guys can help me out that would be greatly appreciated... thank you guys hope to get some good feed back

anymoose
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
what are you going to use the rifle for? lightweight is nice for carrying around, but gets affected by heat more quickly and will become less accurate if youre shooting a lot

jdm*fiend
06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
sorry forgot to mention will mainly be for weekend shooting at the local ranges and if need be HD and also just in case SHTF situations !!!!

anymoose
06-19-2012, 11:36 PM
probably wont matter too much either way then, but if you arent planning on carrying it for long distances that little bit of weight savings wont be a huge benefit IMO, and will only limit your ability to shoot several rounds at a somewhat fast rate.

jdm*fiend
06-20-2012, 11:52 AM
What do u mean it will limit me to shoot several rounds at a fast rate? What's the down side to it? Any more insight on this

anymoose
06-20-2012, 1:04 PM
The lightweight profile barrel will heat up more quickly and become less accurate faster than the standard profile would under the same conditions.

ouch1
06-20-2012, 1:05 PM
What anymoose means is that a lighter weight barrel will heat up faster than a standard or heavy barrel will take longer to heat up. And a light barrel will be less accurate than a standard or heavy barrel due to muzzle climb under rapid fire. The only way I know of to have your cake and eat it too is to have a fluted barrel. It is lighter than a heavy barrel, but with the increased surface area a fluted barrel will cool down faster a light weight barrel. Plus with the added weight there will be less muzzle climb during rapid fire.

Here is a link to a fellow CalGunner who sells barrels and uppers: AR15 BARRELS,PISTOL UPPERS RIFLE UPPERS. dealers welcome (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=534684&highlight=ar+barrels+for+sale)

-ouch1

BTW I myself had a fluted barrel on my Rem 700M in .308 and that thing was super accurate. And if I can afford it I will go fluted when I get around to building an AR.

jdm*fiend
06-20-2012, 8:39 PM
anybody have experience with both, a government profile barrel and a LW barrel that can tell me how true this is......my understanding is the weight difference is a few ounces so why would muzzle climb be an issue. As far as it heating up I understand it also cools down faster than a thicker barrel would

gemini1
06-20-2012, 9:06 PM
Yes what you understood is correct. Lightweight barrels may heat up faster but they would also cool than faster as well. We're only shooting semi, so the issue of heating up faster, IMO is a non issue. As for muzzle climb? its a 223, if you'll have issues with muzzle rise just put a muzzle comp.
I have a govt profiled barrel and am actually planning to have it reprofiled to ligjhtweight.

ouch1
06-21-2012, 11:50 AM
anybody have experience with both, a government profile barrel and a LW barrel that can tell me how true this is......my understanding is the weight difference is a few ounces so why would muzzle climb be an issue. As far as it heating up I understand it also cools down faster than a thicker barrel would

Yes what you understood is correct. Lightweight barrels may heat up faster but they would also cool than faster as well. We're only shooting semi, so the issue of heating up faster, IMO is a non issue. As for muzzle climb? its a 223, if you'll have issues with muzzle rise just put a muzzle comp.
I have a govt profiled barrel and am actually planning to have it reprofiled to ligjhtweight.

Yes you are both correct about lightweight barrels cooling down faster... But you also forget that lightweight barrels have less material to act as a heat sink so they will get hot much faster than a heavier barrel. And as I said this happens in rapid fire, not just sitting at a bench shooting 1 round every 2-3 seconds. Try going out to the desert and doing some rapid fire (2 rounds every 1-2 seconds) and see how hot your barrels get. In a SHTF scenario there is a likely possibility that the OP will be firing that rapidly. Heck I have seen guys on the gun town ranges fire that fast in semi very accurately.

But I digress there are advantage and disadvantages to all of the different barrel types and lengths out there. Heck I recently found out about the ultralight-weight barrels that are wrapped in carbon fiber (talk about weight saving). The OP just needs to find one that works for him.

-ouch1