PDA

View Full Version : Noob ? , Red dot mounting on AR

40SWGlock
06-19-2012, 9:37 PM
So I I recently got my 1st AR and I bought the Aimpoint PRO red dot sight for it.
My question what position do I mount it. Closer to the Back up sight or closer towards the front of the rifle.

EvolutionGSR
06-19-2012, 9:43 PM
I don't think it really matters when you have unlimited eye relief. Put it where you like it. I personally push mine toward the front end of the receiver but never on the handguard, if your rail connects the receiver and handguard.

G60
06-19-2012, 9:44 PM
It is a matter of personal preference, but keep it on the upper receiver.

40SWGlock
06-19-2012, 9:52 PM
How do u post a picture on this site? LOL

anymoose
06-19-2012, 9:56 PM
as far forward as you can, still on the receiver.

you dont need it close because you have unlimited eye relief, plus the closer it is the more that your field of view is blocked. You keep it on the receiver to keep it away from the heat of the barrel.

Colt562
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
its all personal preference, if you like the look of it being closer to the stock then put it there if not and move it on up

anymoose
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
its all personal preference, if you like the look of it being closer to the stock then put it there if not and move it on up

What do you mean by "the look"? like how you look through it, or how your gun looks from the side?

if you mean from the side, i dont get it, sacrifice functionality and block some of your view so that it looks pretty when you post pictures on calguns?

if you mean as you look through it, its pretty much the same except for how much it blocks your view, the only difference in how the dot looks is that the closer it is to your eye, the more fuzzy it will be.

maxwellca21
06-19-2012, 10:27 PM
have you try iron sight before?

Colt562
06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
What do you mean by "the look"? like how you look through it, or how your gun looks from the side?

if you mean from the side, i dont get it, sacrifice functionality and block some of your view so that it looks pretty when you post pictures on calguns?

if you mean as you look through it, its pretty much the same except for how much it blocks your view, the only difference in how the dot looks is that the closer it is to your eye, the more fuzzy it will be.

i mean the look through the sight, i would try to unblock my view as much as possible because i hate stuff blocking my view

Dhena81
06-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Keep it on the upper and level it out with the caps removed tighten from the bottom up.

40SWGlock
06-19-2012, 11:12 PM
How its mounted now.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q229/HemiRam03/CG/IMAG0492.jpg

40SWGlock
06-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Dam that picture came out huge!

anymoose
06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
try moving it up 3 spots, notice how much less your view is blocked when youre looking at a target

MrPlink
06-20-2012, 1:12 AM
Reticle will take up more of the eye piece the further forward it is, thus making it less likely for you to "lose the dot" and have faster target acquisition.

LNTT
06-20-2012, 7:46 AM
AFAIK Usually people put it to the edge of the upper receiver so that it doesn't affect the balance of the rifle (over the magwell)

loosewreck
06-20-2012, 8:58 AM
I'm with the guys that said to put it as far forward as possible. It will also help if you orient your covers so that hey rest on the top of the rifle when open, this way they present less of an obstruction to your view.

trigger hippie
06-20-2012, 9:03 AM
I'm actually facing this same problem as a new Eotech EXPS3 owner. I've seen a lot of very "high speed" seeming dudes put their red dots way forward, sometimes with cantilevers; I've been speculating that it's for the reason stated (less view block). This seems like a good idea and valid reason.

Here's an alternative view I found, though:

"By positioning the scope closer to the shooters eye, it has the effect of increasing the field of view. In the earlier example, having the scope positioned farther away from the eye has the effect of reducing the total field of view through the scope. As a result only one threat could be seen inside the scope at a time. The rearward positioned scope with its larger field of view allows the shooter to observe both threats at the same time inside the scope. Seeing the next threat inside the Ring allows the shooter to simply locate BG#2 inside the Ring, never having to possibly dismount the rifle, shift his vision outside of the scope, acquire the next threat, reposition the threat inside the Ring, shift his focus back into the Ring and re-engage the threat. This technique simply allows the shooter to drive the rifle at BG#2 and engage him quicker, while still keeping his vision inside the Ring. "

from: http://www.usshootingacademy.com/CM_Files/FIGHTING%20THROUGH%20THE%20RING%20by%20Erik%20Lund .pdf

For this reason, I've pushed my Eotech as far back as it'll go, right by the rear BUIs; the reticle becomes very "salient" in my vision and easier to track as a result. I hate to say it, but it's more like a video game with the Eotech right up in your grill. I tend to focus on the sight instead of the target (from pistol and rifle training) because I've shot with irons so much that whenever I get a solid cheek weld on my rifle my eyes automatically get ready to focus on the front sight and not the target. Creating a more "video game" like feel helps to combat that reflex (and hopefully keep it intact in case I need to ever use back up irons because I won't have that "video game feel" stimulus).

I think there's probably multiple good reasons for forward/rearward placement.

I'm curious though if anyone with military experience might mention how folks down range are ordered to (or tend to) run them.

G60
06-20-2012, 11:55 AM
People who do this for a living and take it seriously tend to run them wherever on the upper receiver they like.

You won't really know if near or far is faster unless you do various acquisition and transition drills against a timer.

There is no right or wrong answer for everyone, it is whatever works the best for you.

Stop obsessing over what other people do and get out there and shoot.

coy80176
06-20-2012, 8:25 PM
right up against the front sight;)

40SWGlock
06-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I moved it up more towards the front. Not hanging off thou, completely still on the rail.

tomd1584
06-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Totally subjective. If you use it like you're supposed to, (both eyes open, focusing on target and NOT the dot), then it really doesn't matter and doesn't affect your FOV.

Mossy Man
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
i placed mine so that the cantilever places the optic right above the first notch on the receiver.

i tried it on the last notch, and it placed the optic so far forward that the balance of the rifle felt weird.

here's a photo of how i mounted mine:

http://i.imgur.com/22hZQ.jpg?1

Omega13device
06-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Here's an alternative view I found, though:

"By positioning the scope closer to the shooters eye, it has the effect of increasing the field of view. In the earlier example, having the scope positioned farther away from the eye has the effect of reducing the total field of view through the scope. As a result only one threat could be seen inside the scope at a time. The rearward positioned scope with its larger field of view allows the shooter to observe both threats at the same time inside the scope. Seeing the next threat inside the Ring allows the shooter to simply locate BG#2 inside the Ring, never having to possibly dismount the rifle, shift his vision outside of the scope, acquire the next threat, reposition the threat inside the Ring, shift his focus back into the Ring and re-engage the threat. This technique simply allows the shooter to drive the rifle at BG#2 and engage him quicker, while still keeping his vision inside the Ring. "

Um, no. You should have both eyes open, so your field of view is unrestricted and the idea of looking "through" a scope doesn't apply. You find the target and place the dot on it. That's ALL. The "ring" is irrelevant. If you're doing it right, you have both eyes open and are focused on the target, the optic tube (or window frame in the case of the Eotech) will not prevent you from seeing anything.

TreeHugger
06-21-2012, 6:52 AM
Mine is one slot back so not go pass the mag well, looks more balanced (to me), left JUST enough room for the BUIS and magnifier pivot mount.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/ifubad/Misc/Larue556OBR.jpg