PDA

View Full Version : Remmy 700 Scope Base

ExtremeX
06-19-2012, 9:22 PM
I have a R700 with a 2 piece scope base from Burris and the rings I want to use for my new scope (SWFA 5-20 FFP) wont really interface with them.

Has anyone used the 1 piece base from Midwest Ind?
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=387

These are the scope rings I plan to use, I still have to order them.
http://www.aadmount.com/TLRings/TLRings.html

I don't know if that base or good or not, so im basically looking for some user reviews or recommendations. I figure I am going to have to learn how to bed the scope base to the action, not something I am looking forward to.

Iloveguns
06-19-2012, 9:42 PM
I would ditch the 2 piece base and find a 1 piece 20 moa base. Either go with the EGW TPS Seekins or Badger. Priced from lowest to highest.

jmatt511
06-19-2012, 9:46 PM
Also look into LaRue Tactical.

mls204
06-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Definitely get a 20 moa base. My SPS Tactical has a Nightforce one (came w/ the gun when I bought it). I'm getting the SS 5-20x50 as well, and I picked up some Seekins low rings with it.

ExtremeX
06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Definitely get a 20 moa base. My SPS Tactical has a Nightforce one (came w/ the gun when I bought it). I'm getting the SS 5-20x50 as well, and I picked up some Seekins low rings with it.

I thought medium rings would have been the right size for a 50mm objective...

SWFA 5-20 has a lot of adjustment, I don't even think a 20MOA base is really needed, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

ExtremeX
06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I would ditch the 2 piece base and find a 1 piece 20 moa base. Either go with the EGW TPS Seekins or Badger. Priced from lowest to highest.

Whats with the EGW, TPS and Badger having the center of the pic rail cut out?

All it does it reduce surface area for the recoil lugs... Just seems silly.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/562/562717.jpg

FMJBT
06-19-2012, 10:30 PM
I'd go with TPS for both the rings and rail mount. Their stuff is priced very reasonably, and is as good as any of the high end rings and bases. SWFA carries their stuff, the rings are around $77.00 for the steel version, and the 20MOA base was around $65.00 (Also steel). Id suggest steel for the base, whichever brand you end up going with as the one piece base will effectively become part of you reciever once it is bolted in place, bridging the opening across the top. A steel base has the potential to make the action more rigid than an aluminum version would, and the thermal expansion rate of a steel base will more closely mimic that of the receiver itself, resulting in less potential for zero shift as the weapon heats up.

Definitely go with a 20 MOA base, the extra adjustment room has absolutely zero negatives associated. Although you SS scope doesn't need the extra room, it will help anyway because now the scopes erector tube will be closer to the center when dialed out for further distances. Scopes tend to track better and return to zero better when the erector tube isn't jammed up near the limits of it's travel, keeping it closer to centermakes for a much more reliable and longer lasting optic. The glass is also going to be clearer and have the lowest amount of optical distortion nearer to the center rather than out by the edges. 20 MOA bases are always good to have :)

Iloveguns
06-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Whats with the EGW, TPS and Badger having the center of the pic rail cut out?

All it does it reduce surface area for the recoil lugs... Just seems silly.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/562/562717.jpg

Its more for when ejecting the brass.

ExtremeX
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Its more for when ejecting the brass.

I was referring to the TOP of the rail... which is why I made a reference to the recoil lugs.

Iloveguns
06-19-2012, 10:51 PM
My bad! They work so I dont see a problem with it.

Wrangler John
06-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Don't mess around with cheap crap, get the best:

www.kenfarrell.com/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Remington%20700/op=eq/sf=prod_group/se=Scope%20Mount/op=eq.html?id=8GwiU2nm

There are enough choices to satisfy any need, 0 MOA, 10 MOA, 10 MOA Extended, 20 MOA, 20 MOA Extended, aluminum, steel. etc. I use the Ken Farrell Remington 700SA 0 MOA base for my varmint rifles, with Burris Signature Z-Rings. These bases are made for glass bedding and come with full instructions. I use JB Weld and can attest to the value. I also use the Ken Farrell bases on Savage Precision Target Actions. Some on-line retailers sell them at a discount, i.e. Graf & Sons, Brownell's.

Farrell's rings are also precision enough for any purpose, but for my application the Burris Signature Z-Rings with the plastic bushings and off-sets are the best solution.

No matter what base and ring combination is used, a quality in-lb torque gauge or wrench is essential for installation and stock screw tensioning.

mls204
06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought medium rings would have been the right size for a 50mm objective...

SWFA 5-20 has a lot of adjustment, I don't even think a 20MOA base is really needed, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

I believe my 20 moa base makes it work.

EDIT: found the measurements:
Overall outside objective diameter 2.365,” ocular bell 1.733”.

I think I should be fine w/ the lows as they provide a clearance of 0.82" and I only need 0.591"

robtech
06-20-2012, 2:54 PM
Badger ordnance 20moa...done

Perfect fit = no need to bed your scope base
Excellent finish
the raised center is for cartridge clearance/weight reduction
integrated recoil lug

Mute
06-20-2012, 3:12 PM
I was referring to the TOP of the rail... which is why I made a reference to the recoil lugs.

It's most likely there to give clearance to those who may want to clip slot their rifles.