PDA

View Full Version : Bolt insertion

Vulture
06-19-2012, 7:21 PM
I just brought home a new Ruger M77 bolt action in .308. Its brand new out of the box and I cannot for the life of me get the bolt from the box into the rifle. It doesn't look close to fitting.
I first looked in the manual with a very basic description. I then went to my google-fu and watched a Ruger video on youtube as the presenter just slid that baby in. I am at a loss.
I feel like an idiot and before I take it down to a gunsmith or worse just my local gun pusher, I wanted to put out a feeler here. After all, semi-anonymous public embarrassment is better than outright public embarrassment.

Could Ruger have shipped the wrong bolt? It measures 6.75 inches long x 2.75 inches around.

Help! :confused:

G-forceJunkie
06-19-2012, 8:49 PM
Being a controlled round feed action, the extractor can rotate around the bolt. perhaps its rotated so you can't insert it?

gunnerstuff
06-19-2012, 8:50 PM
2.75 inches around

Huh?!?

Vulture
06-19-2012, 9:23 PM
Being a controlled round feed action, the extractor can rotate around the bolt. perhaps its rotated so you can't insert it?

Exactly what I needed to know and absolutely correct. Thank you kind sir! :D

As far as my "around", I meant circumference. Didn't mean to confuse... or something.

mitchsti
06-19-2012, 9:29 PM
try pulling the trigger while inserting the bolt