PDA

View Full Version : My new kel tec ksg headed to the range for testing.

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 5:25 PM
I'm on my way to test my new kel tec ksg 12 gauge and got some 3",2.75 "and 2" shells to see how reliable it is and the ammo is #9 00 buckshot and 1 oz slugs.
Got 300 rounds to shoot and I'll keep you posted on the results .
What do you think?

Chaos47
06-19-2012, 5:33 PM
What do we think?!
:useless:

Enjoy! Let us know how it goes

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 5:39 PM
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/menomanuel/2442da2c.jpg

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 5:39 PM
There you go!

ColetheGun
06-19-2012, 5:42 PM
where did you get yours?

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 5:50 PM
Gunbroker $1400.00+$25 shipping+$180 ca ffl dealer taxes (new law forces then to collect from out of state sales and last dros $75 total $1680.00 after its all said and done.
The hardest part is finding a out of state dealer that'll ship to ca and is registered at attorney's office .
It was a pain but worth it .

Chameleon Loco
06-19-2012, 5:52 PM
Very cool I wanted one since I first saw it in Modern Warfare 3 but they are so hard to come by becasue of Kel Tec's production issues.

stix213
06-19-2012, 5:54 PM
I'm jelly....

Chaos47
06-19-2012, 5:55 PM
Nifty take some photos of some well ventilated targets!
Have a safe fun time at the range!

prc77
06-19-2012, 6:14 PM
I think something will break on it before the 300 rounds are shot.:rolleyes:

MXRider
06-19-2012, 6:24 PM
$800 msrp

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 6:33 PM
Low production will inflate price and there aren't that many to go around where you can get a deal .
Msrp goes out of the window when a low run item is desired.
(they make a killing on gunbroker the lowest I saw was 1199 and the most expensive 1600)

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 6:45 PM
It was all good once I had the ksg in bed with me!! ;)

-hanko
06-19-2012, 8:53 PM
What do you think?
Honestly?

If you're pleased that you scored a Keltec for ~67% north of msrp, I'm pleased for you.

Professionally, I'm concerned about the "in bed" thing. A little tension there. I'd recommend seeking a partner of whatever persuasion interests you.;)

-hanko

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 9:05 PM
It had boobs.
"Tactical" is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf "hanko"

SoCalSon
06-19-2012, 9:20 PM
Personally, I believe if people want to spend that much for it. It's cool! Just as long as you don't have a problem paying for it! Everyone needs a reason to be happy and be reminded why you work so hard for. As far as I'm concern that is...

NSR500
06-19-2012, 9:26 PM
Capitalism...

The KSG is worth what the market will bare.

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 9:33 PM
Just like gasoline.

MuddvilleHustler
06-19-2012, 9:58 PM
and sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Remember when microwaves were $800.00, cell phones were close to that at a buck a minute. Short Supply vs. High Demand Price goes up. Supply matches demand and price falls in equilibrium with what the market will bare and wallha. Now we can purchase a microwave for under $50.00 and get a free cell phone for $50.00 a month with unlimited text and phone.
God I love capitalism

prc77
06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
I thought you were "on your way" to hit the range and shoot that thing. What gives??

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Ok here is what I got.
3" 00 buckshot & slugs fed with no issues
2.75" 00 buckshot & slugs fed with no issues.
This is where it gets interesting ...
2" mini shells with slugs fed with absolutely no issues and gave the ksg a 25 round capacity.
2" mini shells 00 buck shot fed with Zero malfunctions but since it only fires 5 #9 shot I noticed they spread at a larger rate than the 3 or 2 " shells.
I was expecting the session to go with at least 1 o 2 malfunctions but it performed flawlessly and very accurate.
The internals stayed very clean and all they needed was to wipe the action and I oiled it up put it back together (fairly simple thing to do).
The only thing I would suggest is practice reloading since it's a little awkward at first and it seems like you won't ever finish loading the gun.
The ksg just shrinks in your hands an feels more like a compact m4.
Overall this is one gun that I'll definitely trust for hd or just shredding paper at the range.
P.s. I got a lot of questions at the range and a few people held the thing and they were just all over it a couple of them I let them shoot a round or two asked how I got ,once I told them they said they would pay the mark up to have something like this .
I feel better hearing that since I paid that mark up.(especially after putting that many rounds without a single malfunction.)

Gryff
06-19-2012, 10:19 PM
$800 msrp

Yeah, that is what has me chuckling. I just can't see over-paying substantially just to be on the bleeding edge.

menomanuel
06-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I just started getting into shotguns and man I like my 870 tactical (my first shotgun) & 590a1 (my second) but this thing is tiny and double the rounds .
I'll be getting the choke for it when they figure it out at kel tec along with the kydex cheek cover from a third party (I don't like my cheek on that metal finish ).

CouchIsland.com
06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
I actually got a chance to hold one in person. It's a lot cooler than that Mossberg Bullpup and I would pay a bit north of MSRP to own one. If nothing else you can sell it before they get available and in an election year still get out what you put in.

SoCalSon
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
I personally like the shotgun a lot, but only willing to spend 1k for it. I don't mind if people are trying to make a small profit by tagging on a 20 to 30% additional charge to make a quick buck, but I can wait if I feel they are asking for too much.

Scratch705
06-20-2012, 12:27 AM
2" mini shells with slugs fed with absolutely no issues and gave the ksg a 25 round capacity.

er... that legal to do? :confused:

Zartan
06-20-2012, 4:32 AM
sweet!
oh,and M4

Olav
06-20-2012, 4:46 AM
Looks cool and a lot of fun too.

dan12580
06-20-2012, 6:48 AM
I think its a fair guess that the op diddnt use anybody elses cash to make a purchase so how about a simple congrats. He got a nearly impossible to come by gun and is happy without an ounce of buyers remorse and further hes been a good sport while all you financial planners and gun experts chime in with negative comments. Cool looking gun by the way. Not being a smart *** but is the gun "solid"? Does it rattle at all? In pictures it looks like a cool plastic gun but how is the fit and finish? Id like to pick one up at some point.

whatpain
06-20-2012, 6:53 AM
so many haters on this site. really??? does it take 4 people to point out he paid more then msrp?? we all know he did and im sure he knows too. if he has the money let him have his fun. this isnt the wall street journal forum for money advice its a gun forum. i say good for you bro. and she shoots good too!!!

missiondude
06-20-2012, 7:35 AM
Besides, it does not matter what he paid, only what he told his significant other he paid.:D Congrats on the cool toy...

john.t.singh
06-20-2012, 7:39 AM
congrats man! saw the picture, but where is the video!

renardsubtil
06-20-2012, 7:40 AM
I'm on my way to test my new kel tec ksg 12 gauge and got some 3",2.75 "and 2" shells to see how reliable it is and the ammo is #9 00 buckshot and 1 oz slugs.
Got 300 rounds to shoot and I'll keep you posted on the results .
What do you think?

Thanks for the range report. Keep this thread updated when you hit 1000+ rounds though, I'd love to at least hear if things have held up given shotguns are notorious for their simplicity and reliability...it would be good to hear (for me anyways) if this thing holds up well.

I'm almost sure it will be fine - I bought a semi-auto gas shotgun for trap from a league shooter who easily put 10,000+ rounds through it and it shoots like a champ still even though I read a pile of hate mail reviews on such a setup.

menomanuel
06-20-2012, 8:11 AM
The gun is solid.
Feels like glock made it ,light polymer frame with steel reinforcements .
I forgot to mention while shooting it yesterday I loaded mixed 3",2.75" and 2" shells in both tubes and not a single failure to feed.

TwinStick
06-20-2012, 8:17 AM
As soon as they're easier to come by, I want one! Nice buy, Man. I'd probably buy one now, but I'm spending money on other toys right now. I want to see video of 25 rounds of 12ga going down range without reloading.

xoutxkastx
06-20-2012, 8:30 AM
Whats with bashing on the OP for purchasing something he wanted? Why belittle the OP for his his purchase, it's free market. We are all shooters here and enthusiast. Most of us have only seen people on youtube use these things, but we never here it 1st hand from an actual owner.

@OP Congrats on the purchase and thank you for the range report :thumbsup: This is on my list to purchase one in the future.

joefrank64k
06-20-2012, 8:58 AM
OP, thanks for the range report! I'm hoping you'll write-up a long term review addressing any build-quality issues that come up.

As for the financial planners in this thread, it's crazy what envy will make people write, isn't it? :)

Apec
06-20-2012, 8:58 AM
Well, you coulda done worse. If I recall correctly, the first gunbroker auctions for SCARs, people were paying well over 200-300% of MSRP - up to $8K-9K.

But do keep enjoying that KSG.

JackRydden224
06-20-2012, 9:13 AM
Keep the pictures and violated targets coming.

I know I will be getting one of those when the supply catches up. In the mean time I will boot up my MW 3 LOL

JackRydden224
06-20-2012, 9:13 AM
Keep the pictures and violated targets coming.

I know I will be getting one of those when the supply catches up. In the mean time I will boot up my MW 3 LOL

Dirtbiker
06-20-2012, 9:18 AM
Yes pictures and video from the range would be great!

RazzB7
06-20-2012, 9:20 AM
Congrats OP on getting what you wanted. I think the KSG is cool and I do eventually want one once supply catches up with demand.

Sicarius
06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Congrats on your purchase. I will definately be in the market for one when they come down in price. Thank you for the review. I am much relieved that everything worked as advertized.
As far as how the OP spends his money, what does it matter. If he can afford the baller tax, so be it. He is the first kid on the block to have one and is very pleased with it. More power to you.
Kevin

1nickatnite1
06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Congrats on your purchase. I will definately be in the market for one when they come down in price. Thank you for the review. I am much relieved that everything worked as advertized.
As far as how the OP spends his money, what does it matter. If he can afford the baller tax, so be it. He is the first kid on the block to have one and is very pleased with it. More power to you.
Kevin

Seriously, there's wayyy too many haters. So what if he paid over msrp for it? Its capitalism at its finest in action.

Glad to hear its running smoothly for you OP be awesome if you can do a LT review in 6 months or so.

daybreak
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Congrats on the KSG!! Relieved to hear yours is running well. Don't mind the haters.

-hanko
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
so many haters on this site. really??? does it take 4 people to point out he paid more then msrp?? we all know he did and im sure he knows too. if he has the money let him have his fun. this isnt the wall street journal forum for money advice its a gun forum. i say good for you bro. and she shoots good too!!!
Haters? wtf?:rolleyes:

OP asked for opinions. He didn't, as I read the first post, ask for positive opinions only.

I still say that I and he both understood he paid a premium for the weapon. He and I both think that's just peachy.

-hanko

skyscraper
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Haters? wtf?:rolleyes:

OP asked for opinions. He didn't, as I read the first post, ask for positive opinions only.

I still say that I and he both understood he paid a premium for the weapon. He and I both think that's just peachy.

-hanko

Where did he ask for opinions on the price?

21SF
06-20-2012, 1:28 PM
Wow what a rip off, kel tec really over hyped these.

21SF
06-20-2012, 1:46 PM

OP, thanks for the range report! I'm hoping you'll write-up a long term review addressing any build-quality issues that come up.

As for the financial planners in this thread, it's crazy what envy will make people write, isn't it? :)

ITs really not envy, I could care less what he blows his money on. Its the fact that hype works even when people know what the msrp is suppose to be.

I cant stand stuff that gets hyped up and price driven through the roof.

Like the saiga 12, $250 shotgun hyped into a 700+ dollar shotgun.

Keltec could have postponed the release of these until they had the supply to meet the demand, instead they took advantage of it.

Which is why they will never see a penny from me.

Thats ridiculous, and will continue when people participate in the hype purchases.

meaty-btz
06-20-2012, 2:22 PM
Keltec could have postponed the release of these until they had the supply to meet the demand, instead they took advantage of it.
1. Capitalism
2. Capitalism
3. It is business smart to take advantage of a market as long as you are not harming your market. Which, in this case it isn't. In fact more so this provides a soft entry into the market to keep complaints (failures due to new design) low and interest high.
4. It is ALL 3rd party Sellers that are making the killing on the KSG, not Keltec, who sells to distribution warehouses, who then sell to FFLs, who then sell it on GunBroker for a 68% markup.

All along this chain I see nothing untoward happening. I see business in action with no malign intent. Demand far outstrips supply, value increases, actual value. MSRP is irrelevant.

Are you a communist who believes that price should be dictated by a fixed value rather than the free market value?

RazzB7
06-20-2012, 2:26 PM
Is KelTec selling for over MSRP or are "middle men" buying from KelTec and profiting with the short supply and high demand?

And to keep it on topic, I still think you own a sweet shotgun, OP!

skyscraper
06-20-2012, 2:31 PM

It was kel-tec that hyped these? or the internet?;)

menomanuel
06-20-2012, 3:15 PM
It's the middle man knowing how to take advantage of kel tec's low production .
Can't be on the edge of gun tec without putting a hole in your wallet.
Set me back 2 months on my gun budget ;).
Totally worth getting hated on!!!!
Hate hate hate hate.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/menomanuel/f222dcf8.jpg

-hanko
06-20-2012, 3:25 PM
Where did he ask for opinions on the price?
He simply asked "What do you think"...

Where did op request that no one comment on the price?

Javi
06-20-2012, 3:52 PM
No one's "hating" on the op and he did want to know Calguns' opinions. Cool shotgun,glad that it's working as it should & happy that your happy but Keltec has left a bad taste in my mouth with not postponing and getting their production numbers higher. Shops are definitely making some nice money with those mark ups :) I'd buy it if it were $300-500 haha but I'm more fond of this to be honest with ya:

http://i55.tinypic.com/1589jm1.jpg

I would have gotten an FN semi-auto with an extension tube with that kind of money. The money is gone so it really doesn't matter anymore.

MXRider
06-20-2012, 3:56 PM
I would have gotten an FN semi-auto with an extension tube with that kind of money. The money is gone so it really doesn't matter anymore.

I agree ^^

That or a Benelli M4

eightmd
06-20-2012, 4:14 PM
Do they come in 4 gauge? I want one in 4 gauge for grenades. You'll really get some questions at the range with that.

menomanuel
06-20-2012, 4:25 PM
That would be a beefy gun.
I wonder if kel tec will take it to the next level and make semi auto...
Some Great guns started start as lever or pump action.
That's on my wish list.

stix213
06-20-2012, 4:52 PM
$800 msrp

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I challenge you to find one for $800 in stock anywhere in the country. MSRP is meaningless. What matters is the supply vs the demand for a product, while factoring in dealer cost, which is always what sets the price.

stix213
06-20-2012, 5:02 PM
No one's "hating" on the op and he did want to know Calguns' opinions. Cool shotgun,glad that it's working as it should & happy that your happy but Keltec has left a bad taste in my mouth with not postponing and getting their production numbers higher. Shops are definitely making some nice money with those mark ups :) I'd buy it if it were $300-500 haha but I'm more fond of this to be honest with ya:

http://i55.tinypic.com/1589jm1.jpg

Thing is with Keltec they are a pretty small manufacturer. They have been putting out some very innovative designs over the last few years that have gotten them the attention level usually given to large manufacturers like Ruger or S&W when Keltec isn't set up to produce nearly the numbers of firearms the big boys can.

Really their only fault is becoming such a big player so fast that they can't keep up with demand. Pretty much all their guns are having the same problem, because they just can't make them fast enough. Coinciding with the Obama gun salesman of the year craze isn't helping.

bombasitc
06-20-2012, 5:27 PM
http://centralvalleyguns.com/Consignment_Guns_9GIC.html

In Selma Ca for a mere $1650!!

skyscraper
06-20-2012, 5:39 PM
He simply asked "What do you think"...

Where did op request that no one comment on the price?

Very profound observation. Well done

menomanuel
06-20-2012, 6:19 PM
Yep .
It is what it is.

4DMASTR
06-20-2012, 6:29 PM
Watched a guy shooting one at Bullseye San Raphael, So awesome watching that thing destroy targets!

To hell with the price its an awesome toy, Congrats!

9mill
06-20-2012, 7:01 PM
ITs really not envy, I could care less what he blows his money on. Its the fact that hype works even when people know what the msrp is suppose to be.

I cant stand stuff that gets hyped up and price driven through the roof.

People pay "hyped" prices for rare items. Its called the real world

Lugiahua
06-20-2012, 7:03 PM
I am sure people bashing OP because it's a Kel-Tec...
there might be much less bashing if he was paying for a rare 1911.

04slogoat
06-20-2012, 9:50 PM
Congrats OP. I want one!!!!!!!!

IrishPirate
06-20-2012, 10:07 PM

this just makes me want one SOOO much more!!!!!

I'm holding off tactifying my 500 for HD because i want to use the money to buy a KSG which would pretty much make the 500 obsolete for HD and let me keep my 500 in hunting configuration.

er... that legal to do? :confused:

yup, perfectly legal!!!

OP, good for you for doing what you want and spending your money the way YOU want to. Screw all the nay-sayers that think they are superior to you because they claim they wouldn't spend double the MSRP for your gun....I'm sure they have way over priced toys that you and I would find completely ridiculous. The internet is full of hypocrites :cool:

MakeYaBootyBurn
06-21-2012, 6:24 AM
Thanks awesome man! Happy for you! Looks good!

darqhelmet
06-21-2012, 9:08 AM
Congrats OP. Thanks for the range report, please keep us posted on how it runs as the round count goes up. 2 quick questions, how easy is the pump to operate and does it switch between the tubes easy?

mif_slim
06-21-2012, 9:18 AM
1. Capitalism
2. Capitalism
3. It is business smart to take advantage of a market as long as you are not harming your market. Which, in this case it isn't. In fact more so this provides a soft entry into the market to keep complaints (failures due to new design) low and interest high.
4. It is ALL 3rd party Sellers that are making the killing on the KSG, not Keltec, who sells to distribution warehouses, who then sell to FFLs, who then sell it on GunBroker for a 68% markup.

All along this chain I see nothing untoward happening. I see business in action with no malign intent. Demand far outstrips supply, value increases, actual value. MSRP is irrelevant.

Are you a communist who believes that price should be dictated by a fixed value rather than the free market value?

QFT

I buy from Keltec at wholesale price, I jack up the price to my likings and sell it to you, you buy it and the guy next to you is pissed off at Kelttec that their business ethics stinks while I smile and make a living. Kind dumb to get made at KT for MY selfish greed isnt it??

menomanuel
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
The pump action is smooth and the switching between tubes was a little gritty but I realized it was grease from the factory with a bit or carbon build up but after I wiped it clean and oiled it up it was a smooth flick of a switch .

menomanuel
06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
It's not greed just capitalism at its best and in the end money talks.
If we can't afford to buy guns we shouldn't be buying guns .
Guns are not in the need category but in the want category , you make sure you want it bad enough to pay up.
In the end what matters is are you happy?

ENVYGREEN
06-21-2012, 1:00 PM
People spend 1000 on wine at dinner. BFD let the dude enjoy his ****!

IrishPirate
06-21-2012, 1:05 PM
The pump action is smooth and the switching between tubes was a little gritty but I realized it was grease from the factory with a bit or carbon build up but after I wiped it clean and oiled it up it was a smooth flick of a switch .

i heard it's supposed to switch tubes on its own once one is empty, is that true? Also, where are you located? I thought i recognized a place you mentioned in a previous post....

It's not greed just capitalism at its best and in the end money talks.
If we can't afford to buy guns we shouldn't be buying guns .
Guns are not in the need category but in the want category , you make sure you want it bad enough to pay up.
In the end what matters is are you happy?

exactly! I got a bunch of flack recently for buying a $6000 250cc motorcycle for my first bike. Well, turns out that the bike is fantastic and i couldn't be happier with it....now people are starting to look at it as being worth it since the bike is actually much better than people thought it would be and it's flying off the show room floor everywhere and even landing in well experienced rider's garages....

Enjoy the hell out of that KSG, just remember that in a few years, you likely will only get less than half what you paid for it if you want to sell it...but that too will be your decision, and if it makes you happy, go for it!

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsWjLlzxSAVYbkY7KEPKsgw_fW2bmRt PtcfrpIsknZWU4ClU6s

44fred
06-21-2012, 2:13 PM
This reminds me of Harley Davidson dealerships gouging customers because they could. Now they are hurting big time. You know, you don't have to participate in gouging! Some of us aren't that greedy. What goes around comes around. I'd rather develop a clientele based on fair business practices.
Kel Tec is the one loosing out on sales. They really screwed this production thing up.

Write Winger
06-21-2012, 2:43 PM
Nice job scoring a KSG.

I love what Kel Tec has been doing. While it seems everyone else is remaking or "improving" already existing designs and markets, they're focusing on the radically different and fantasy market. They seem like the guys who sit around a table drunk on the weekends and say "you know what would be cool is if..." but then have the ingenuity to actually build it and the market says "hey! That IS cool!" Demand is built, prices are high, and as they come down they'll produce more and sell twice as many. Good on them.

I'm jealous, and I envy your purchase.

Capybara
06-21-2012, 2:56 PM
Am I the only Calgunner not enamored of this gun? I just can't see a reason for a defense shotgun that holds so many shells, isn't needing that many shells sort of out of the realm of HD situations and goes more into engagement by LEOs in shootouts? Nothing against those of you who will pay double the msrp for this gun, I just don't see the appeal. The few YouTube reviews I have seen all comment on feeding issues, why would you pay so much for one?

I don't play video games though, is that what is driving the buzz on this gun? If so, that would be an interesting marketing phenomena.

tacticalcity
06-21-2012, 3:00 PM
Market dictates price. These things are selling as fast as they can make them. That means the price is fair. Just because it is more than you personally would pay doesn't change that.

He wanted it. It is meeting his expectations. Sounds like pure win for him.

tacticalcity
06-21-2012, 3:03 PM
Am I the only Calgunner not enamored of this gun? I just can't see a reason for a defense shotgun that holds so many shells, isn't needing that many shells sort of out of the realm of HD situations and goes more into engagement by LEOs in shootouts? Nothing against those of you who will pay double the msrp for this gun, I just don't see the appeal. The few YouTube reviews I have seen all comment on feeding issues, why would you pay so much for one?

I don't play video games though, is that what is driving the buzz on this gun? If so, that would be an interesting marketing phenomena.

While i have no opinion on the shotgun, I do have an opinion on the "x rounds is enough" mindset in your post. Just saw it in another thread where a guy was basically saying 6 shots from his revolver is more than he will ever need.

I proceeded to post video after video where at least 3 or more armed suspects invaded homes. Usually armed with assault rifles and shotguns. This is the norm. The days of a single armed invader never existed. Bad guys do this in groups.

cwin
06-21-2012, 3:41 PM
Congrats! It's a pretty cool shotgun. Enjoy!

r1ghtw1ng
06-21-2012, 4:02 PM
Nice. Congrats on the KSG. I'm waiting for the KSG Gen 3 in 2014 after they iron out any problems and the prices come down from 4 digits.

I remember buying a brand new GSG-5 for $650 when it was super rare. Sold it quickly for $650 a few months later after having buyer's remorse.

menomanuel
06-21-2012, 6:45 PM
I wonder if I can dry fire it without damaging it?
I just emailed kel tec to find out.

mif_slim
06-22-2012, 8:06 AM
@capybata: I rather have 14 rounds and use 1 then need 15 and have none....when your sitting in a cool air conditioned room behind a computer playing a HD scenario in your head, you can easily become crouching tiger hidden dragon and fly over roof tops to flank the BG but in high stress and real threat you'll freeze up or fire as many rounds as you can effectively. During this, you won't be counting rounds.

gotshotgun?
06-22-2012, 8:36 AM
@capybata: I rather have 14 rounds and use 1 then need 15 and have none....when your sitting in a cool air conditioned room behind a computer playing a HD scenario in your head, you can easily become crouching tiger hidden dragon and fly over roof tops to flank the BG but in high stress and real threat you'll freeze up or fire as many rounds as you can effectively. During this, you won't be counting rounds.

QFT

glockwise2000
06-22-2012, 8:39 AM
It had boobs.
"Tactical" is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf "hanko"

You are freaking me out. Go get a nice girl and put her to bed. A gun? I would say it should stay on bedside. Unless, another CGer tells us here that they too had their guns "in bed" with them. Is this the new trend fetish now?

No matter what. I'm still jelly you have the KSG. Nice gun though.

thefitter
06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
The hardest part is finding a out of state dealer that'll ship to ca and is registered at attorney's office .

Please explain this last statement.

Thanks

Sicarius
06-22-2012, 2:35 PM
I don't believe it is kel tec screwing the customers. It is the distributors and shops. KT sells the firearms at whatever wholesale price to the distributors. Distributors know the shortage and mark it up to what the shops are willing to pay and the shops will then sell it for what the end consumer is willing to pay.
If somebody is WILLING to pay X ammount for something. You better believe that somebody is going to sell it for X...
Kevin

menomanuel
06-22-2012, 2:44 PM
I luv how I can post anything and get all comments on how it's freaking them out !
If can freak them out with jokes imagine when I'm serious !
That's the very same thing anti gun politicians use as a way to demonize gun ownership even when they know it's a joke (it's called grown up jokes,sorry jr's lol)

socal44
06-22-2012, 2:50 PM
Lot of dicks here on Calguns:mad:

Congrats OP

deadcoyote
06-22-2012, 3:11 PM
and sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Remember when microwaves were $800.00, cell phones were close to that at a buck a minute. Short Supply vs. High Demand Price goes up. Supply matches demand and price falls in equilibrium with what the market will bare and wallha. Now we can purchase a microwave for under $50.00 and get a free cell phone for $50.00 a month with unlimited text and phone.
God I love capitalism

I remember when my dad got a CD player and was all tuned up "this thing cost me $750 now you little F$%*ers leave it alone." Now all of my friends and I listen to LPs anyway.

ogarcia_02
06-22-2012, 8:17 PM
i find it a little funny that a lot of people are saying its super awesome to have such a high capacity shotgun but the guys that ask about bandoliers and such get made fun of wanting to have extra ammo with them :confused:

paratroop
06-22-2012, 8:40 PM
At least he is showing pictures, and shooting it, and reviewing it, instead of just marking it up again and selling the darn thing! Personally I am not a fan, I think it looks more like a novelty gun, and I already have too many of those. (can anyone say AR57 pistol?)

On the other hand, I have never seen or held one of these. And that is my sickness, I dont think I have ever held a gun I didnt end up needing.

menomanuel
06-22-2012, 9:14 PM
that was my fear at first and also is it going to be a jam-o-matic.
I guess I never shortstroked the thing due to the afg2 being way in front but did prove reliable in the 300 rounds fired.
I'll Have to start a ammo budget to test it some more and see what happens.(guess its coming out of my gun budget:( )

menomanuel
06-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Here's why it's a pain finding an out of state dealer that will ship to ca.

“As of July 1, 2008, California Penal Code Section 12072(f)(1) prohibits all Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), other than Type 03 or 06 FFLs, from shipping firearms to an FFL in California unless, prior to delivery, the FFL intending to deliver, sell or transfer the firearms obtains a verification approval number from the California Department of Justice (CADOJ) Bureau of Firearms. This includes transfers that occur at gun shows.

The verification approval number, which the Bureau of Firearms provides in a Firearms Shipment Approval letter, confirms that the intended recipient of the firearm shipment is properly licensed and listed in the state’s database of persons/entities authorized to receive firearm shipments. If the intended CA FFL recipient is not listed in the state’s database, the transaction will result in a Do Not Ship letter, and it is a crime for the intended recipient to receive the firearms (Penal Code Section 12083(c)(1)).

As a courtesy to impacted FFLs, the Bureau of Firearms has established an Internet application that is available to FFLs nationwide 24 hours a day 7 days a week (24/7) to obtain Firearms Shipment Approval letters. All Internet transactions will be handled on a secure server, and the information provided will be used solely for the purposes associated with the administration of the CFLC program. For FFLs that do not have Internet access, the Bureau has established a telephone service that allows nationwide FFL shippers to enroll and obtain Firearms Shipment Approval letters via telephone or facsimile prior to shipping firearms to a California FFL. However, the telephone service availability will be limited to Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

California FFL holders (other than Type 03 or 06) must enroll in the California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) Program to ship firearms to another California FFL. They must also be listed on the State of California Centralized List as either a dealer, manufacturer, or exempt. Once enrolled in CFLC, California FFLs will be able to obtain Firearms Shipment Approval letters to ship firearms to other FFL holders within the state.

Capybara
06-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Wow, I had no idea. Those sound like a lot of hoops to jump through. More typical PRK BS hoops for law abiding FFLs and gun buyers to jump through. California really doesn't want any of its citizens to be armed, does it?

menomanuel
06-23-2012, 8:11 AM
What sucks is that the people that want to ban them actually are people that have and can get the hi cap permits & Ccw .(and affluent people $$$$,this leaves the rest to fend for themselves.)

JaMail
06-23-2012, 8:48 AM
all the negatives about price make me laugh.. for some people 2k isnt very much, for others its alot, and omg, get over the MSRP..

if they had posted a MSRP of 1500, no one would be talking ****. i think to have a legal shotgun in california that holds 25 rounds (2inch) 1500 would be worth it for some people.

just like large parts of the country mock people in california for paying 2k to 4k a month in mortgages.

R4570
06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
menomanual,
i am confused here. doesn't the keltec have a 14 shot magazine with both tubes? i thought here in cali we could not buy anything with more than a 10 round capacity. has the law been changed? congrats on the purchase. if i could afford one i would buy one.
Rick

Hk996
06-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Congrats, nice shotgun!

Bulleh
06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
menomanual,
i am confused here. doesn't the keltec have a 14 shot magazine with both tubes? i thought here in cali we could not buy anything with more than a 10 round capacity. has the law been changed? congrats on the purchase. if i could afford one i would buy one.
Rick

7 shots per tube and a lever that dictates what tube you are firing from, basically its like have 2 - 7rnd built in mags. AOW = mags 10<

Congrats on the purchase. Even if others may feel you overpayed, as long as you are happy, thats what matters. Personally, I'd pull the trigger if I could find one for ~$1100 with all fees.

R4570
06-23-2012, 1:45 PM
Bulleh,
thanks for the explaination.
Rick

ambrown307
06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I wonder when the Ruger version will come out :whistling:

meaty-btz
06-24-2012, 7:37 AM
I want a semi version. Would be some competition for the Jam-o-matic.. I mean saiga.

paratroop
06-24-2012, 8:01 AM
Wow, I had no idea. Those sound like a lot of hoops to jump through. More typical PRK BS hoops for law abiding FFLs and gun buyers to jump through. California really doesn't want any of its citizens to be armed, does it?

I don't think that it is really all that bad. the last firearm i purchased was shipped to my FFL, but the guy forgot that letter, so they couldnt start my DROS. It took the shipping FFL 10 minutes to get the paperwork done, and a copy sent. Of course that extra step shouldnt be necessary anyways, but it isn't that difficult.

Zimz
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
How did the AFG2 work on the pump? It doesn't look like much room to grip with the bottom being flat.

menomanuel
06-24-2012, 10:50 AM
The afg2 fits perfectly almost gripping the entire rail.

Capt Jack
06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Haters gonna hate!

OP: Nice new toy, and good on you for being able to afford the toys you want. Money and Value are relative, i.e. if you make $10k a month then overspending on a toy is fine! Now, if you make $1k per month then you would call someone a dumb***** for "wasting" money.

I guess we know what income bracket some of these haters are in... :rolleyes:

-hanko
06-24-2012, 8:47 PM
Haters gonna hate!

OP: Nice new toy, and good on you for being able to afford the toys you want. Money and Value are relative, i.e. if you make $10k a month then overspending on a toy is fine! Now, if you make $1k per month then you would call someone a dumb***** for "wasting" money.

I guess we know what income bracket some of these haters are in... :rolleyes:
:rolleyes::sleeping:
Comprehension. Fail
Logic. Fail
Not being creative enough to state an opinion in other than a hackneyed internet saying. Fail

So, you're saying that anyone would not pay msrp + 600 + tax + fees for a KSG is in an inadequate income bracket? :confused:

I've fired a box or 3 though a friends gun, decided it wasn't my style, and that's about it for me on the KSG. He got his for ~$900 before tax at lgs.

Without getting into great detail, I do have multiples of op's purchase price in double guns.

Take it off-line if you'd like...op asked for opinions on his shotgun, not on other posts...at least that's what I understood when I read his post.

-hanko

44fred
06-25-2012, 9:57 AM
I don't think that it is really all that bad. the last firearm i purchased was shipped to my FFL, but the guy forgot that letter, so they couldnt start my DROS. It took the shipping FFL 10 minutes to get the paperwork done, and a copy sent. Of course that extra step shouldnt be necessary anyways, but it isn't that difficult.

It really is not difficult at all!

Some out of state FFL's just wont go through the process based on principal. Well, I say they aren't very bright. Anybody that does business on the internet, in this economy, is foolish to eliminate a 35+ million population state from their client list. Go on gun broker and see all the dealers that won't ship here. I just don't get it. Many do get it and will ship here with a smile on their face knowing others won't.

Specific Pacific
06-26-2012, 9:55 AM
Interesting firearm. Waiting to see the kinks Kel Tec is going to work out in the next couple years. I see feeding being the major issue. Plus all the plastic... *shivers*

Has anyone on the thread done a major field test?

menomanuel
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Will be headed the range tommorrow for more testing of the ksg.
250 rounds 2 3/4 mil surplus 00 buckshot .
At least I'll have a this gun if sb 249 passes .(no thanks to dictator senator yee)

JackRydden224
07-05-2012, 7:28 AM
It really is not difficult at all!

Some out of state FFL's just wont go through the process based on principal. Well, I say they aren't very bright. Anybody that does business on the internet, in this economy, is foolish to eliminate a 35+ million population state from their client list. Go on gun broker and see all the dealers that won't ship here. I just don't get it. Many do get it and will ship here with a smile on their face knowing others won't.

I don't understand people who turn down business because it is too much of a hassle. They must be making too much money else where. Californians have more spending power and buy more guys than any other state (I think). I recently sold a rifle on gunbroker and shipping it was just dropping it off at UPS. The girl didn't even ask me for the buyer's FFL info....

Back to the topic.

OP you planning on making a video of you pumping 15 shells and destroying targets?

k1dude
07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
If they come out with a semi-auto version, I'll be all over it.

jyo
07-05-2012, 1:06 PM
Paying over retail is actually somewhat common here in Kalifornia---this is the price we pay for allowing the pols to ram a bunch of stupid "safety" and paperwork laws down our throats. I have paid a premium to get my HK P30 and 45C, but don't regret it as I will be keeping and enjoying them. That doesn't mean I like paying too much...

menomanuel
07-05-2012, 2:54 PM
A little off topic ,
Don't forget to contact senator Leland yee and voice your opinion about sb 249!

Lifeon2whls
07-09-2012, 3:14 PM
I want to see you take this thing and do some clay shooting with it...

Awesome shotgun!

Mesa Tactical
07-09-2012, 3:42 PM
We've had our KSG since November or December, and two other folks got to shoot it before we ever did (OCSD and Recoil Magazine). On Saturday we finally got a chance to shoot it at Burro Canyon.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/320376_340467699366028_1889699163_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548477_340466319366166_1726425405_n.jpg

Recoil is sharp. We chose to shoot mostly target loads. At the SHOT Show I tried to hook up the Limbsaver people with Kel-Tec. The latter are too busy to worry about buttpads right now, but it would be easy for Limbsaver to produce a replacement pad if they got the CAD files from Kel-Tec. Dunno where they are with that. An integrated Limbsaver or Decelerator pad would be a big improvement on this platform. I bet almost half of KSG owners would plop down $40 for a Limbsaver replacement pad if they knew one was available.

We had a couple jams, the sort of thing I would expect from a pump where the ejection port is also the loading port. The jams, as with similar jams with Remingtons and Mossbergs, are down to operator error. The difference is with the KSG they take more effort to clear.

The shotgun is very easy to handle, reasonably accurate and fun to shoot. It's a little unwieldy because the manual of arms is so different from what one is used to. If operators were simply to train for a few hours with the platform I'm sure they would get used to it, and would appreciate the 14 shots between reloads. For now we found ourselves pulling the shotgun out away from our shoulders so we could look in the loading port to check status.

Kel-Tec is making NFA law enforcement versions available that are even shorter than the commercial model. I don't know why; the commercial model is already pretty compact and handy.

None of us tried shooting it with one hand.

tvfreakarms
07-17-2012, 1:46 AM
Its weird how people with no money or just pure hate would belittle this guy cause over paid something. If he wants well buy all means. Have fun.
I would like this in the near future

aippi
07-17-2012, 6:41 AM
The Money is not the major issue with this thing. Kel-tec is famous for not keeping up with demand. Add the fact that the first version of many weapons from any manufacturer may have issues. Combine these two facts and what happens when his weapon has to go back for service. How long do you think it will take them to get parts and fix it? One month? Three Months? A year? Kel-tech can't even put them on the gun store racks so how much faith do you have in their abiltiy to repair or replace one?

There is a group of people that has to have the latest greatest thing and the price they are paying for a weapon with a Dealer cost under $550 is proof of this. They don't think about anything but gotta have it.

Fine, it is their money. They are the test dummies for you guys that want this weapon. If it is a what it is touted to be then in a couple years it will still be here and will be going for it's intended MSRP.

However, I predict it will find it's place in the gun safes along with all those other latest greatest things.

compulsivegunbuyer
07-17-2012, 6:54 AM
I remember people paying $1500 for Tickle Me Elmo Dolls. The KSG's not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

dc2integra
07-17-2012, 4:25 PM
The kel tec has a lot to offer it holds 7+7+ 1 and its CA legal plus it's a bull pup design so it makes it perfect for home defense .I want one but I'm gonna wait a couple years before I pull the trigger on one.

smittty
07-17-2012, 7:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that it's reliable with mini shells. I'm using the 1.5" mini shells in my winchester defender and recoil is very very mild but destroys targets just as well as 2 3/4" shells. And it holds total 25!!!!! now i definitely want one!

Hispanic_Hercules
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey Mesatactical. If you want to send it to me for a day or two I will shoot it one handed, take a picture and some video and send it back to you (maybe) lol. Like many others on this forum, I can't wait for supply to catch up with demand.. I'll pick one up and deck it out with nothing but MESA as I have with my other shotties. Much props to you MENOMANUEL for laying down the green on one of these.

Mesa Tactical
07-18-2012, 6:13 AM
Hey Mesatactical. If you want to send it to me for a day or two I will shoot it one handed, take a picture and some video and send it back to you (maybe) lol.

Thanks, but it's already gone again! Recoil magazine is picking it up again today.

Everyone wants to get their hands on this.

BTW, love the moniker, Hispanic Hercules.

menomanuel
08-05-2012, 4:50 PM
Nay Sayers watch the torture test of the ksg!!
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/brutal-ksg-torture-test-video-us-csog-249697/

reidnez
08-06-2012, 2:39 PM
Definitely jealous. It's too rich for my blood at this point. When they come down in a year or two and I can snap up a used one for $600, I'm in. And no, I'm not at all trashing OP for his purchase. If I had $1400 to spend one one, I would. Just can't justify it now.

cseabass
08-06-2012, 3:16 PM
i noticed some trigger reset issues with the one we got, that said, only i could replicate it(IE user error). thats not saying much as i could break a billet of steel on accident.

i still intend on getting one for ****s n giggles.

as for people *****ing. its OPs money they can do what they want. *thumbs up OP*

adamsreeftank
08-06-2012, 3:50 PM
Be cool to throw one of these on it:

http://www.surefire.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x250/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/9/m900l.png

civic23
08-06-2012, 7:39 PM
congrats on the new toy----as for the $ i for one cant talk since i got my saiga 12 tricked out and dropped alot of cash for it-----hey if its make you giggle when it goes bang it was worth every freaking penny

Fherot
08-06-2012, 8:18 PM
I got **** on by one or two guys for buying a -desert tan- Benelli Supernova.

Unless they're offering to foot the bill I don't understand why someone has anything to say but 'nice!'.

We should all encourage everyone buying new toys and getting that excited butterflies-in-gut feeling right?

Awesome gun.

I mean. Nice!

Clutch-n-Throttle
08-06-2012, 8:27 PM
Be cool to throw one of these on it:

http://www.surefire.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x250/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/9/m900l.png
I read somewhere that people were breaking the forend picatinny rails when they Used that type of grip/light combo. Don't remember where I read it.

menomanuel
08-06-2012, 11:06 PM
The rail is polymer and it's plastica it can break is enough pressure is applied I wouldn't recommend a quick detach that's way to much for plastique.
No trigger reset issues and no misfeeds at all.

jvpark
08-08-2012, 9:14 PM
Capitalism...

The KSG is worth what the market will bare.

maybe we should impose a "windfall tax" of Keltec. :D:D

kozumasbullitt
08-10-2012, 6:19 PM
Mesa,

When is your rail/saddle going to be available at Brownells?

xxINKxx
08-10-2012, 9:06 PM
Low production will inflate price and there aren't that many to go around where you can get a deal .
Msrp goes out of the window when a low run item is desired.
(they make a killing on gunbroker the lowest I saw was 1199 and the most expensive 1600)

Seriously out here in AZ my dad found a vendor at the gun show who had a brand new kel tec pmr-30. He liked it do much he wanted another one. These things must be crazy popular, 2 years later they are still nowhere to be found from vendors. And if you see one they are more then doubled in price from msrp.

How's the quality and finish on these. My kel tec sub2000 fit and finish is so bad i looks like someone's home built gun. Definatley the poorest quality gun I've owned. So I'm learly of kel tec's stuff.

Mesa Tactical
08-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Mesa,

When is your rail/saddle going to be available at Brownells?

Not for another month. Sorry about that. Lots of little issues.

Mr. Beretta
08-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Menomanuel

Congrats on the KSG.

Enjoy it & have fun! :D

bubbapug1
08-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Whats with bashing on the OP for purchasing something he wanted? Why belittle the OP for his his purchase, it's free market. We are all shooters here and enthusiast. Most of us have only seen people on youtube use these things, but we never here it 1st hand from an actual owner.

@OP Congrats on the purchase and thank you for the range report :thumbsup: This is on my list to purchase one in the future.

Totally agree with this opinion, all of the other whining sounds like elitist sour grape BS....

Two questions for the OP??

1. So how is the recoil?

2. What was it like in bed?

kozumasbullitt
08-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Man, I guess i will have to wait.

menomanuel
08-13-2012, 9:37 PM
The recoil is sharp .
And it's very manageable ;)

kozumasbullitt
08-31-2012, 11:27 PM

How is that sidesaddle coming along?