PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to CA

scottyb
06-19-2012, 4:31 PM
So, I am approaching a potential move from NY to CA with a little apprehension. Seems that NY laws are only out done by the stupidity of California's.

I have a DPMS AP4, which is in a "post ban" configuration (no flash hider, no bay lug, no collapsible stock) due to NY's adoption of the federal assault weapons ban, prior to it expiring, as state law. I noticed on the AW flow chart, that all DPMS models are banned. So if I change the lower to a manufacturer that is not on the list, appendix A or B, install a bullet button, and leave my pre-ban 30 rounders out of the state or modify them to hold 10, I should be good, right?

rromeo
06-19-2012, 4:34 PM
That sounds correct.

Librarian
06-19-2012, 4:37 PM
See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

DinoPJR
06-19-2012, 4:39 PM
or you can bring your hi caps in disassembled.

PEBKAC
06-19-2012, 4:41 PM
Sounds correct to me.

Just remember that another option regarding magazines is to disassemble your high capacity mags before entering the state and leave them disassembled while in state.

scottyb
06-20-2012, 6:08 PM
I did forget to mention that it has a forward vertical grip. The way I read the flow chart, it doesn't matter due to the fact it will have a "permanently" installed magazine after the bullet button is installed. So it could have any of those listed under Penal Code 12276.1(a) when you do not have removable magazine.

Chaos47
06-20-2012, 6:11 PM
I did forget to mention that it has a forward vertical grip. The way I read the flow chart, it doesn't matter due to the fact it will have a "permanently" installed magazine after the bullet button is installed. So it could have any of those listed under Penal Code 12276.1(a) when you do not have removable magazine.

Correct magazine locked rifles can have any and all features.

scottyb
06-20-2012, 6:35 PM
Thanks, Chaos.

I always thought NY was crazy with their laws. But I am realizing that CA has taken the cake. Now I read about SB 249 trying to ban the bullet button "loop hole". What a crock. I'm really blown away.

guitar-nut
06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Chaos.

I always thought NY was crazy with their laws. But I am realizing that CA has taken the cake. Now I read about SB 249 trying to ban the bullet button "loop hole". What a crock. I really blown away.

Since you already don't have a flash suppressor or collapsible stock, you may as well ditch the front grip and add a grip wrap to your pistol grip, this is known as "featureless" and you won't need the bullet button.

scottyb
06-21-2012, 1:47 PM
That is also an idea. I would just have to find one of those grips and/or stocks that I like. Haven't seen any in person, let alone shot one to know which are decent. Any suggestions in that regard?

Rorge Retson
06-21-2012, 2:00 PM
I always thought NY was crazy with their laws. But I am realizing that CA has taken the cake.
We always had the cake, you just didn't know it.

Legasat
06-21-2012, 2:02 PM
Sounds like you have been doing your homework. Good!

NY to CA is jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Welcome aboard!

Chaos47
06-21-2012, 3:31 PM
That is also an idea. I would just have to find one of those grips and/or stocks that I like. Haven't seen any in person, let alone shot one to know which are decent. Any suggestions in that regard?

Personally I have Solar Tactical grip wraps on my AK and AR.
Its a piece of kydex molded to go around the pistol grip. I like it over Monsterman or Hammerhead as it preserves the angle of the grip.

Shooting with it is not as awkward as people think imo

Check out the link in my signature to learn more about featureless builds

scottyb
06-21-2012, 4:44 PM
Sounds like you have been doing your homework. Good!

NY to CA is jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Welcome aboard!

Yeah, I like to at least be somewhat knowledgeable before I ask questions. I personally hate question that are asked that are easily answered with a google search or forum search. I usually stick to just clarifications and opinions of interpretation. I tried not to sound to much like a noob.

MrPlink
06-21-2012, 5:08 PM
Yeah, I like to at least be somewhat knowledgeable before I ask questions. I personally hate question that are asked that are easily answered with a google search or forum search. I usually stick to just clarifications and opinions of interpretation. I tried not to sound to much like a noob.

then that makes you a rare breed here.

G-Solutions
06-22-2012, 8:13 AM
Scottyb, you've done your homework well! Welcome aboard!

scottyb
02-16-2014, 7:00 AM
I am resurrecting this thread, I got a job in CA and the move is happening next month. Working on getting a new lower that isn't on the banned list. Any word on the MR2 device in California. I did some searching, but didn't see anything definitive. Most threads were referring to its compliance with the now defunct SB374.

My concern is not that it differs from a BB, in that it is detachable without a tool, but the action must be broken open to do it. But in the way it must be made permanent. I have not found any case law regarding the MR2, in any of its configurations.

Yerman
02-16-2014, 7:07 AM
Why not just use a bullet button? They aren't that bad especially when you get UBBT's on your mags. With SB374 over, I don't see a reason to use that MR2 thingy.

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/ULTIMATE-BULLET-BUTTON-TOOL-UBBT.htm

REDdawn6
02-16-2014, 7:14 AM
Take the lower off, sell it. Move to CA, buy a 80% lower, Jig, cheap drill press from Harbor Freight and make your own lower and not have to register a long rifle.

Badmusic
02-16-2014, 7:19 AM
or you can bring your hi caps in disassembled.

Not any more. As of Jan 1, 2014, you cannot import a complete parts kit. Modify them to 10 round mags.

scottyb
02-16-2014, 7:44 AM
Why not just use a bullet button? They aren't that bad especially when you get UBBT's on your mags. With SB374 over, I don't see a reason to use that MR2 thingy.

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/ULTIMATE-BULLET-BUTTON-TOOL-UBBT.htm

I am attempting to build a weapon that would be compliant here in NY prior to me leaving and in CA. The BB is on questionable standing here in NY, with the MR2 being a little stronger due to the break down needed to remove the magazine. The New NY SAFE Act does not contain the same "tool" language CA laws do.

Maybe I will just buy my off-list lower with a BB here and keep the weapon in pieces until I get to CA. There is nothing preventing me bringing the lower in with me, as long as I put it on my New Resident Firearm Ownership Report. At least not that I can see.

REDdawn6
02-16-2014, 7:44 AM
This as well!!!!!! ^

BigPimping
02-16-2014, 9:56 AM
Just say No to this place

scottyb
02-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Just say No to this place

Wife is from CA and I have an opportunity that is hard to pass up. Trust me, there a plenty of places I would rather live based on my love of guns and freedom in general.

hatidua
02-16-2014, 10:16 AM
There are 50 states, and you waffle between NY & CA?

russ69
02-16-2014, 10:47 AM
...There is nothing preventing me bringing the lower in with me,...Yes any off-list lower, that is.

CK_32
02-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Moving from one sh**ty state to another less sh**y gun state lol

You just can't win. But hey at least you get pretty beaches and sun this time. Stop by AZ/NV if your driving. See what actual gun rights feel like for a second.