PDA

View Full Version : When to hunt pigs?

drutledge79
06-19-2012, 4:22 PM
I am new to hunting pigs. Been at it maybe 5-6 times in the past 10 months and haven't even seen one. I read the CA pig hunting guide awhile back but I didn't take away any specific periods when hunting would be better. My perspective is from hunting on public land, but I imagine it's the same either way.

What seasons or time periods are important for pig hunting?

My current view is something like:

In the summer, they are easier to find because they have to forage more during the day and have to roam farther to find food. Watering holes may be less abundant so they will concentrate near sources of water if they are limited. On the flip side, they will be leaner.

In the other parts of the year they can and will be nocturnal if they experience pressure and can generally survive fine that way. Aside from the acorn drop being a big deal, I'm not real sure any other notable times during the year for them.

Can anyone fill any of these Taj Mahal sized gaps in my knowledge?

-dr

CSACANNONEER
06-19-2012, 4:33 PM
The best time to hunt them is when they are in the area of your hunting grounds. They can migrate.

toby
06-19-2012, 4:35 PM
I see less hunting pressure in the colder winter months, depending on area that can be a great advantage.

bigboarstopper
06-19-2012, 5:24 PM
For public land hogs, hunt in the wetter portions of winter. Hunt the latter part of the work week (wed-Friday).

Summertime is the worst time to hunt public land. Private land in the summer has water and harvest crop or cattle feed around to get them fed and watered through the summer. Public land cannot compete with private land this time of year.

Wintertime there is comparable food and water on public land to private. Although the hogs will always prefer the low pressure and better feed of private land the wet ground and abundant feed in winter will make the hogs travel more freely.

Hunting pressure on public land is usually highest on the weekend. Hunting during the last few days of the work week should provide the least hunting pressure available.

fabguy
06-19-2012, 7:31 PM
I wanna go, I wanna go...
:D

drutledge79
06-20-2012, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the tips.

1) The wet part of winter.
2) Latter part of the work week.
3) "When they're there"

Untamed1972
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I am new to hunting pigs. Been at it maybe 5-6 times in the past 10 months and haven't even seen one. I read the CA pig hunting guide awhile back but I didn't take away any specific periods when hunting would be better. My perspective is from hunting on public land, but I imagine it's the same either way.

What seasons or time periods are important for pig hunting?

My current view is something like:

In the summer, they are easier to find because they have to forage more during the day and have to roam farther to find food. Watering holes may be less abundant so they will concentrate near sources of water if they are limited. On the flip side, they will be leaner.

In the other parts of the year they can and will be nocturnal if they experience pressure and can generally survive fine that way. Aside from the acorn drop being a big deal, I'm not real sure any other notable times during the year for them.

Can anyone fill any of these Taj Mahal sized gaps in my knowledge?

-dr

Dont pigs like to be in the shade, near water and/or mud during the day when it's hot? I would think they would be more nocturnal in the summer so they can get out and forage when it's not hot.

lewdogg21
06-20-2012, 3:53 PM
Where is more important than when.

Call this guy.

Guided hog hunts in central California Shay Balesteri (831) 594-1270

DirtyDave
06-20-2012, 9:17 PM
Dive Bars around about 2am....

PoorRichRichard
06-20-2012, 9:41 PM
Dave, you're a terrible person, and your comments never disappoint :rofl2:

truep
06-22-2012, 9:34 AM
Right place, right time. Good for you trying 5 or 6 times. Persistence, and you'll get them.

But now that you've busted your *** on public land, I'd try a private hunt with Shay (BigBoarStopper). You'll have a much better chance. They're wild hogs, just like on public land, and you'll have to work just as hard to get them (but a better chance that they're actually hogs around to work hard to get) Like Shay said, the hogs just prefer the lower pressure, better conditions of private land most of the time. I have some ranches I can hunt hogs on free of charge- and there are hogs on them, but I still go back to Shay's- if anything- I have more fun!

westcoastr
07-03-2012, 6:36 PM
I been out on public land a billion times all over central and northern cali. The biggest pack I've ever seen was on the hottest day of the year, at 11:30 am, working a creek. I've seen 'em at 4 pm on a misty overcast day. I've found sign in every BLM and NF I've been to. But typically far from the roads and access trails. FHL is excluded as I've only hunted there once. Unless you enjoy long hikes, prepare to be disappointing again and again. Though I usually find something interesting on every hunt. I will say that around a full moon, their activity is much lower..I thought this was an old wives' tale, but my records show it is more true than not.

Only a few hundred are taken on public land every year, and a large percentage of those are at FHL.

Sadly a mountain lion, illegal hunters, AND pot farmers have moved into my honey hole and are tearing the crap put of the pigs. I found a HUGE lion-killed pig carcass just last week.