PDA

View Full Version : Buying my own gun back from Turners

henmar77
06-19-2012, 3:30 PM
I Just want to know if what the manager said at this store is accurate and why am i having to pay to get my gun back?

Please read tread below. thank you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=585682

MXRider
06-19-2012, 3:38 PM
Actually sounds like you already got your answer.

henmar77
06-19-2012, 3:40 PM
Actually sounds like you already got your answer.

Really, was there a turners rep that responded?

MXRider
06-19-2012, 3:43 PM
Really, was there a turners rep that responded?

No but the CA PC was given. Print out a copy and go get your gun back.

PolishMike
06-19-2012, 3:48 PM
When we get a denial on a PPT the DOJ agent tells us "We checked the Seller, you are good to go to return" or "Do not return to seller"

RazzB7
06-19-2012, 3:54 PM
When we get a denial on a PPT the DOJ agent tells us "We checked the Seller, you are good to go to return" or "Do not return to seller"

That's right from the mouth of one of the helpful FFL's here on CalGuns. Go get your gun back. Don't take no for an answer.

CSACANNONEER
06-19-2012, 4:03 PM
That's right from the mouth of one of the helpful FFL's here on CalGuns. Go get your gun back. Don't take no for an answer.

Great advise:rolleyes: I really doubt it would end well if he tried your approach. Instead, I would ask the OP if he asked or was informed of their policy. Turner's is a chain store with a lot of close to minimum wage employees. So, they do not operate like an owner operator would. Maybe, it is their policy to hold firearms for ransom. It was actually the OP's responsibility to be an informed consumer and know the store's policies before doing bussiness with them. Sorry, but that's the way I see it and one of the many reasons why I choose to patronize owner operated gun shops instead of wasting my time, more time and money at Turner's unless I'm forced to or just need some tackle.

email
06-19-2012, 4:15 PM
How does Turner's know if he's prohibited (12072)?

The language is ambiguous.

I'm interested to know the outcome... maybe call DOJ?

henmar77
06-19-2012, 4:16 PM
Although i appreciate the input. It wasn't my intention to start a debate in this thread. I already know what im going to do. When I pick up the gun, the alleged money that is owned to Turners will not be paid by ME I assure you. However, i am interested in knowing Corporate's take on this scenario.

gr8dragon88
06-21-2012, 7:58 AM
DOJ checks both seller and buyer's background for a PPT and it's clear what the FFL must do in the event of buyer failed background check.

Looks like the store manager is confused between a PPT return vs. consignment return.

I've been staying away from Turner's for PPT if possible, due to their process/policies.

Sometimes their employees/managers act like judge, juror and executioner...

paintballdad
06-21-2012, 9:18 AM
A response from Turner's corporate office regarding this issue would be appreciated by Calgunners. If it's Turner's company policy to hold a seller's firearm pending a fee due to a failed PPT on the buyer's end then that needs to be posted here or at the stores where it is visible for both buyer and seller. Turner's non response so far is a bit disturbing.

henmar77
06-21-2012, 9:30 AM
A response from Turner's corporate office regarding this issue would be appreciated by Calgunners. If it's Turner's company policy to hold a seller's firearm pending a fee due to a failed PPT on the buyer's end then that needs to be posted here or at the stores where it is visible for both buyer and seller. Turner's non response so far is a bit disturbing.

Agreed. In my industry when it takes this long to answer you usually don't have one, and your trying to come up with something. I hope that's not the case here.

SemperFlexibus
06-21-2012, 1:47 PM
you may want to call Turner's office since they don't check the board daily. hopefully you'll get an answer before the DROS expired.

frankm
06-24-2012, 2:24 PM
I wonder if Turners contacted him?

henmar77
07-11-2012, 9:33 AM
I wonder if Turners contacted him?

No, but the buyer did and he told me that his record will be clear before the deadline and he wants the gun still. We shall see.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

gatesbox
07-11-2012, 9:39 AM
I'm confused, if I did a PPT and received cash my part of the sale is over. Keep the cash all sales are final. sounds like the buyers problem to deal with Turners..... but as the other thread has been locked maybe this is deeper than face value.

henmar77
07-11-2012, 9:52 AM
I'm confused, if I did a PPT and received cash my part of the sale is over. Keep the cash all sales are final. sounds like the buyers problem to deal with Turners..... but as the other thread has been locked maybe this is deeper than face value.

Your parts over unless the buyer offers you more money to finish the deal ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

SemperFlexibus
07-12-2012, 9:03 AM

If the buyer cannot take possession, DOJ will instruct the FFL dealer to return firearm to the seller, unless there's a problem with the seller as well, then the firearm is to be disposed of by local LE agency.

DiogiDoc
07-12-2012, 3:14 PM
The title, to me, is misleading. You sold the gun to someone and they paid for it. Technically it is not your gun to buy back from Turner's. Turner's may want to return it to you since the buyer did not check out. I am not that familiar with the DROS process, but perhap they now need to pay to do a background check on you in order to assure the DOJ that you are someone that can legally posess a firearm. Again, I do not know the answer to this, but would like to find out as well. Thanks.

SemperFlexibus
07-13-2012, 7:48 AM
DOJ will automatically do a background check on seller if buyer failed background check. This is one reason why FFL dealers cannot combine long gun private party sales from multiple sellers onto one DROS transaction.

If seller does not pick up firearm within 30 days of DROS transaction, then he/she will need to pay for another DROS to get firearm back from dealer.

If seller also fails background check, dealer will turn over firearm to local LE for destruction.

It's up to seller and buyer to beware of the laws and agree to the terms if someone failed background check. Some will avoid this issue altogether by selling firearms to dealers for less money, and let them take care of the hassle.

joe321
07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
So is there an update?

henmar77
07-23-2012, 3:02 PM
So is there an update?

Im going to get my gun back tonight. end of story.

hooked on glock
07-25-2012, 2:47 PM

so did you you have to redros it , or was it it just returned to you at no cost ...

henmar77
07-25-2012, 3:02 PM
so did you you have to redros it , or was it it just returned to you at no cost ...

Returned no cost. Just so you know i spoke the gun manager and discussed all my research and conversations regarding this issue. The different answers i received from his staff on how this issue should be handled from a legal and business perspective made his head spin. After a while he called me back apologies and said that his staff would be retrained so this doesn't happen again. So let it be known that if you do a PPT and the buyer cannot meet the obligations for the transfer. The gun is yours, take it home free of charge with no waiting period. Or leave it there for the law, its up to you.

knucklehead
07-25-2012, 3:08 PM
... Posted after you shared the info

henmar77
07-25-2012, 3:19 PM
Collect money for purchase from buyer, Go to dealer, pay the drois(Who pays is up to you), fill out the paperwork, shake hands and leave. Wait ten days for buyers background check. If its clean, never see him or the gun again. If not, expect a call from the dealer with the option to: leave gun there for the law, or go back and pick it up for free to do with it what ever you want.

TheExpertish
07-25-2012, 5:54 PM
Collect money for purchase from buyer, Go to dealer, pay the drois(Who pays is up to you), fill out the paperwork, shake hands and leave. Wait ten days for buyers background check. If its clean, never see him or the gun again. If not, expect a call from the dealer with the option to: leave gun there for the law, or go back and pick it up for free to do with it what ever you want.

You left out refund buyer, with maybe a time wasted deposit withheld.

gunnlover
08-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Yup. Sounds like your troubles aren't over yet...