PDA

View Full Version : When is Ruger going to build a S/A or Pump Shotgun?

Excelsior
06-19-2012, 2:54 AM
Ruger has never been much of an innovator but they are pretty good at building quality weapons largely designed by others at a low price. I suspect sooner rather than later we'll see a Ruger semi-auto shotgun in varying configurations including tactical models. I'm not sure if we'll see a pump or not? I don't think they'll be reviving the SxS Gold Label anytime soon either...

Capybara
06-19-2012, 3:17 PM
I have a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays O/U w the 30" barrels. Great gun. Ruger has told me that they are out of the shotgun business unfortunately. I wouldn't hold your breath.

WDE91
06-19-2012, 3:21 PM
Last I heard they pulled out
I do agree, I wouldnt be holding your breathe

BigDogatPlay
06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Ruger has never been much of an innovator but they are pretty good at building quality weapons largely designed by others at a low price.

:confused:

I suspect sooner rather than later we'll see a Ruger semi-auto shotgun in varying configurations including tactical models. I'm not sure if we'll see a pump or not? I don't think they'll be reviving the SxS Gold Label anytime soon either...

I've read and heard also that Ruger has no interest in the shotgun business for the foreseeable future and their discontinuing the 'Label' guns with no replacement seems to put the exclamation point to that.

The market is full of Chinese and Turkish imports that work well enough at price points that Ruger couldn't possibly touch. The general purpose shotgun market at the low to mid range is owned by Remington and Mossberg and in the mid to higher range by Browning and the various European makers. Ruger's effort on the Label guns to make a solid quality O/U that shot as well as entry level Euro makes but at a more attractive price point leveraging Ruger's in house investment casting and manufacturing technologies was a nice effort, but probably not truly profitable in the long run.

Once again, IMO, Ruger is showing it's smarts by sticking with what they and their manufacturing operation do best.

Javi
06-20-2012, 3:29 PM
I think they should bring them back. The Red Label is durable, isn't it? I remember reading about that shotgun on shotgun world some time ago but that's cool that people still have them. I think Ruger would have a leg over Turkish & Chinese imports if only for their warranty/customer service. I'd be very at ease getting a Ruger rather than those two.

stix213
06-20-2012, 5:10 PM
Ruger has never been much of an innovator but they are pretty good at building quality weapons largely designed by others at a low price. I suspect sooner rather than later we'll see a Ruger semi-auto shotgun in varying configurations including tactical models. I'm not sure if we'll see a pump or not? I don't think they'll be reviving the SxS Gold Label anytime soon either...

I see Ruger as carefully picking and choosing their markets, and not jumping into anything they don't think they can make a name for themselves in.

Sometimes it is a copy of an existing product that is seeing too much demand to be met by supply so they think they can take a lot of the market (Ruger LCP for example). Sometimes they stake out their own space with a unique twist on a popular design, such as when they went with their own piston upper on the SR556.

So I don't see Ruger coming out with a completely unique design for a shotgun. The only thing I could see is if they were to try to take advantage of Keltec's inability to produce enough KSG shotguns, and were to produce their own 26.1" bullpup style shotgun of their own. But I doubt it.

AJAX22
06-20-2012, 5:21 PM
I think they could do a decent buisness making a SPAS12 copy.....

they would have do develop some sheetmetal stamping/forming facilities, but they could probably make it at a reasonable price point

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 1:10 AM
:confused:

I've read and heard also that Ruger has no interest in the shotgun business for the foreseeable future and their discontinuing the 'Label' guns with no replacement seems to put the exclamation point to that.

The market is full of Chinese and Turkish imports that work well enough at price points that Ruger couldn't possibly touch. The general purpose shotgun market at the low to mid range is owned by Remington and Mossberg and in the mid to higher range by Browning and the various European makers. Ruger's effort on the Label guns to make a solid quality O/U that shot as well as entry level Euro makes but at a more attractive price point leveraging Ruger's in house investment casting and manufacturing technologies was a nice effort, but probably not truly profitable in the long run.

Once again, IMO, Ruger is showing it's smarts by sticking with what they and their manufacturing operation do best.

They really haven't "stuck" that what they do best. Their huge growth is in polymer guns, the smaller the better. Up until a few years ago their presence was minuscule in this area. Maybe a few Glock patents finally expired?

Remington and others also beat the hell out of Ruger in bolt rifles yet they're still there. They certainly can't be selling all that many No.1's but they are still making them as well.

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 1:16 AM
I think they could do a decent buisness making a SPAS12 copy.....

they would have do develop some sheetmetal stamping/forming facilities, but they could probably make it at a reasonable price point

I could definitely see them getting into tactical shotguns. Someone in the USA (big or small) is going to respond to the MKA-1919 and it might just possibly be Ruger as they don't have to worry as much about cannibalism as Remington or Mossberg would.

I'm not sure about the reasoning behind the SR-556 but they got into the AR-15 semi-clone (it has a piston) simply because it's such a hot market, along with the SR-1911.

jeffrice6
06-21-2012, 1:44 AM
What did Ruger say after you called them?

Quiet
06-21-2012, 1:58 AM
IMO...
Instead of a pump-action shotgun, Ruger should make a modern variant of a 12gauge lever-action shotgun.

tpuig
06-21-2012, 9:35 AM
I've spoken with various folks at Ruger over the years. The shotgun market is not where they want to be. The Red Label is a great gun. The Gold Label cost more to produce than they sold it for. (Try finding a nice one for under $3k now)
I'd love to find a Gold Label and will be keeping my eyes open, but I don't foresee them making any more shotguns.

taloft
06-21-2012, 10:04 AM
They can't produce fast enough to keep up with sales of existing product lines. There is zero incentive to develop a new product line at this time.

Capybara
06-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah, didn't Ruger stop taking dealer orders for like most of this Spring because they couldn't keep up with demand?

From what I heard, even though I love my Red Label, they didn't sell very well, too much competition in sporting shotguns.

Might be interesting if they did get into tactical but as taloft says, what's the point for them?

They can't produce fast enough to keep up with sales of existing product lines. There is zero incentive to develop a new product line at this time.

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 12:39 PM
IMO...
Instead of a pump-action shotgun, Ruger should make a modern variant of a 12gauge lever-action shotgun.

Very interesting thought... It might sell like hotcakes to the cowboy action folks.

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM

You're wrong about that.

First, I'm fairly sure Ruger used the "no more orders" (at the wholesale level) as nothing more than a marketing tool. They have a healthy backlog so just announce "no more orders" and you're sure to spike sales (at the retail level) even more.

You can BET that Ruger is "developing" new products. Companies that stop development during fat times end-up dying during leaner times. If you think Ruger isn't "developing" new products right now then I have a bridge on the east coast I would like to sell you.

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah, didn't Ruger stop taking dealer orders for like most of this Spring because they couldn't keep up with demand?

From what I heard, even though I love my Red Label, they didn't sell very well, too much competition in sporting shotguns.

Might be interesting if they did get into tactical but as taloft says, what's the point for them?

They supposedly stopped taking wholesale orders from distributors. Either the pipeline was clogged-up with most models or it was just marketing schmaltz.

The "point" is to make money and ultimately to survive as a company. There is no more of a cutthroat market than AR15 clones and Ruger pretty much got in that market. Same with the 1911's.

bohoki
06-21-2012, 1:14 PM
they already have their hands full

think about all their products

single action center fire revolvers
single action rimfire revolvers
double action revolvers
double action rimfire revolvers
polymer double action revolvers
bolt action center fire rifles
self loading centerfire rifles
auto loading center fire pistols
auto loading rimfire pistols
polymer center fire pistols
1911s
ar-15

what other company has that diversity

a multitude of shotguns what for?

it is a shame they discontinued their lever guns

funny now they are making a 1911 i think they used to make the frames for caspian why dont they do a double stacker while they are at it

AragornElessar86
06-21-2012, 1:25 PM
They supposedly stopped taking wholesale orders from distributors. Either the pipeline was clogged-up with most models or it was just marketing schmaltz.

The "point" is to make money and ultimately to survive as a company. There is no more of a cutthroat market than AR15 clones and Ruger pretty much got in that market. Same with the 1911's.

Do you know anything about this or are you just spewing nonsense? I personally know several retail shops who have been unable to place new orders on many items since February because Ruger will not take new orders from distributors and their distributors are sold out.

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 2:30 PM
Do you know anything about this or are you just spewing nonsense? I personally know several retail shops who have been unable to place new orders on many items since February because Ruger will not take new orders from distributors and their distributors are sold out.

I am sure that Ruger is at plant capacity on some models such as the SR1911. That does not however mean that demand for all their product is backlogged and that the pipeline is dry. If Ruger is as good at manufacturing as many suggest, they already have orders/plans from their big distributors going out well over a year. Plans that are routinely adjust up or down given updated forecasts and actual sales. To suggest those plans are frozen is just not true.

If you notice, some firearms from Ruger are always available. That includes their bolt rifles, 10/22, polymer pistols, most of their revolvers, etc. A select few such at the SR1911 are very difficult to get.

Watching Michael Fifer tout that they are not taking any orders while quickly adding that the pipeline is full equates to marketing schmaltz.

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 2:32 PM
they already have their hands full

think about all their products

single action center fire revolvers
single action rimfire revolvers
double action revolvers
double action rimfire revolvers
polymer double action revolvers
bolt action center fire rifles
self loading centerfire rifles
auto loading center fire pistols
auto loading rimfire pistols
polymer center fire pistols
1911s
ar-15

what other company has that diversity

a multitude of shotguns what for?

it is a shame they discontinued their lever guns

funny now they are making a 1911 i think they used to make the frames for caspian why dont they do a double stacker while they are at it

What does that even mean? Their "hands full?" Are you suggesting they cannot hire and purchase more resources to fill market demand? Really? Are you honestly suggesting that Ruger does not have a marketing department that studies consumer demand, market shifts and political realities? Are you suggesting Ruger does not have an R&D department that is in the midst of developing new models? Really?

bohoki
06-21-2012, 2:47 PM
What does that even mean? Their "hands full?" Are you suggesting they cannot hire and purchase more resources to fill market demand? Really? Are you honestly suggesting that Ruger does not have a marketing department that studies consumer demand, market shifts and political realities? Are you suggesting Ruger does not have an R&D department that is in the midst of developing new models? Really?

i guess the market demand is not within acceptable profit margin

Excelsior
06-21-2012, 5:43 PM
i guess the market demand is not within acceptable profit margin

That might very well be. Still, I do see Ruger coming out with a semi-auto shotgun. Like the hyper-competitive AR15 world, I think there is so much business to be had that Ruger will only ignore it for so long.

.300 Weatherby Mag
06-21-2012, 7:41 PM
The Gold Label cost more to produce than they sold it for. (Try finding a nice one for under $3k now)

I like Rugers... But these are too ugly to be worth $3k... Wood to metal fit is not what it should be in a gun that costs that much...

Javi
06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Very interesting thought... It might sell like hotcakes to the cowboy action folks.

I'd love a "new" Winchester 1897 from Ruger & not China, etc. :)

Sheepdog1968
06-21-2012, 11:08 PM
I would happily pay for a lever action shotgun made in the USA.

beastie050
06-22-2012, 9:24 AM
I have a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays O/U w the 30" barrels. Great gun. Ruger has told me that they are out of the shotgun business unfortunately. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Me too, and I love it!