PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a Copy of My shotgun regestration

travelin4fun
06-19-2012, 2:58 AM
I had a 870 12ga taken by the sheriffs dept. I had loaded the gun to a friend that had been threatened by her boyfriend. He showed up and the police were called. They found my gun in the house and decided that they didn't want to leave it there. The oficer calls me and tells me to bring proof that the gun is mine. I bought the gun new at a k-mart store in 1988. I have no records. He tells me that I have to contact the Caliofornia DOJ and obtain proof that it is regestered to me. I told him I dont know if it was regestered and that it was 25 years ago. He told me that it doesnt matter when it was that every gun sold in Califirnia was regestered. Wouldn't he be able to run the serial number and see it is regestered to me? How do I get this record? I went to the CA DOJ site and tried to download the form but everytime I click on any form on the list, I get a internet exployer has stopped working message and I dont get the form, it just closes my brouser down. Any advise would be apprecated.

Ed_Hazard
06-19-2012, 3:08 AM
The cop is either knowingly sending you on a snipe hunt, or is sadly misinformed.

Long guns are not "registered" by serial number with the state. All the dealer record would show would be that you bought a long gun. An original receipt/layaway form would be your best bet.

Ed_Hazard
06-19-2012, 3:21 AM
Here's a link to the form you send in to get a copy of all the guns registered to you from the Ca. DOJ.

But as you will see, even on this DOJ form it tells you records on NON-AW long guns are not kept.

Good luck.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf?

travelin4fun
06-19-2012, 3:28 AM
Thank You that's what I thought. Now they have the gun. I doubt I ever see it again. Any suggestions anybody? It isn't stolen so I guess my question to them would be to prove the gun isn't mine. I guess the next thing I should do is contact deputy England here in Contra Costa and have him expl;ain the regestration process in California with a witness and possibly a recording. One thing is for sure this is going to be a real pain in the *** trying to get it back.

lorax3
06-19-2012, 3:29 AM
You will probably eventually have to fill out a LEGR (Law Enforcement Gun Release). The officer you spoke to is misinformed about how the firearm registration system works, there will be no state registration entry for a shotgun you bought in 1998. (Unless you sent in a subsequent volunteer registration form)

DOJ Page: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/legrinfo
PDF Form: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/legr.pdf (The form even notes the DOJ will have no record if it's not a handgun)

The officer who seized your property should have given you a receipt when he/she took your shotgun. Perhaps there is a specific department to contact, I'd try and speak to someone more knowledgable about retrieving your firearm.

There really will be no proof of ownership other than the receipt you received when the firearm was taken, so you need to speak to someone at department who deals with the returning of firearms. I'm sure they are well aware that it's often impossible to prove ownership of a non-handgun.

In theory the ATF still has a copy of the 4473, but good luck getting a copy.

Ed_Hazard
06-19-2012, 3:32 AM
You need to file one of these with the agency that has your gun as soon as possible. It puts them on notice that you intend to retrieve your property, so that it does not magicly become some of that god awful sculpture. It will also buy you a little more time to get the info you need.

Edit: link was to out of date form, please use the link provided by lorax3.

lorax3
06-19-2012, 3:34 AM
In theory the ATF still has a copy of the 4473, but good luck getting a copy.

Strike that, just noticed you said 1988, not 98

lorax3
06-19-2012, 3:38 AM
You need to file one of these with the agency that has your gun as soon as possible.

http://icso.org/legr.pdf

I'd use the form I posted above from the CA DOJ website. This link is an old copy of the form hosted by a specific county.

Ed_Hazard
06-19-2012, 3:40 AM
I'd use the form I posted above from the CA DOJ website. This link is an old copy of the form hosted by a specific county.

I defer to you o wise one....:D

frankDmole
06-19-2012, 9:14 AM
Welcome to CalGuns.

h0use
06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
welcome! hope you get your gun back! keep us updated

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-20-2012, 9:19 AM
welcome to calguns

BlackTydeTactical
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Welcome aboard!

socalpistolero
06-20-2012, 9:38 PM
welcome.

GladiatorTactical
06-21-2012, 7:20 PM
Welcome to CalGuns, good luck on getting your shotgun back

DeanW66
06-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Welcome aboard! Good luck getting your 870 back.

tonelar
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
What Police or Sheriff's Dept is this?

Rockit
06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
What Police or Sheriff's Dept is this?
"deputy England here in Contra Costa" from post #4