PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy guns you know you hate?

erik_26
06-18-2012, 7:32 PM
Do any of you buy guns you know you hate before you buy them?

Example: You rent X gun. It felt terrible. You shot terrible with it. You hate the brand. You hate the color. You just plain hate the gun. Do any of you buy it anyways, just to have?

hammer
06-18-2012, 7:36 PM
I say that about my keltec P11. Great for carry. I hate shooting it. I hated it for years before buying it. I still hate it. But it is great for carrying...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yemff
06-18-2012, 8:04 PM
you mean glock owners?

erik_26
06-18-2012, 9:02 PM
For example, I rented an M&P.

I didn't care for it (didn't hate it, but another one I rented at the time won my heart).

Yet for some reason, I have a feeling one will end up in my safe within the next 6 months.

1911's I don't like them. I think they look sexy. Nice and heavy. Beyond that, not my go-to gun. Yet I have some. And will probably buy another one in a couple years.

I have a Saiga 7.62x39mm. I absolutely loath that gun. I comes out once a year and that is it. But I will probably never sell it. Even with all the hate and discontent, I find myself eyeing one in 12 gauge. Why???? It has got to be sickness.

I hate glocks with a passion. But again.... for some stupid reason, I could see myself buying one just to have in the safe (not anytime soon). Would I ever shoot it, probably not very often. But I would have it, even though I despise it.

Anyone else?

rjh4758
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Yep! Bought a hipoint c9 just to check it out. Looked cheap, felt cheap and it was ugly as sin. But had to buy it to see how it shot and at $125 what did I have to loose. It's actually a better gun than it gets credit. Also have a hipoint 995 with the old fugly stock. Thought it was ugly then and still do but it is very functional.

I have a Saiga 7.62x39mm. I absolutely loath that gun. I comes out once a year and that is it. But I will probably never sell it. Even with all the hate and discontent, I find myself eyeing one in 12 gauge. Why???? It has got to be sickness.

I hate glocks with a passion. But again.... for some stupid reason, I could see myself buying one just to have in the safe (not anytime soon). Would I ever shoot it, probably not very often. But I would have it, even though I despise it.

Anyone else?

Bought a Saiga 7.62x39 too, but just because I like DIY projects.

I resisted buying a glock for years and last year I bought one. Now I own two and kind of like them.

JSolie
06-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I didn't see an option for buying a gun then developing a dislike of it...but not enough of a dislike to sell it.

BKinzey
06-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I voted mostly no. I don't think I have ever bought a gun I didn't think I would like but if I saw a bargain that I could turn around for a quick sale/profit I might.

anymoose
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I own a glock

alfred1222
06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
I agree with the above, if I don't like a gun, I don't buy it

nicki
06-19-2012, 2:18 AM
A few months back I bought a used 38 special S&W Airweight.

I run a monthly shoot and I loan use of many of my handguns for the event.

A few people had come to my events over the years with "small revolvers" and I noticed none of them could shoot and hit the targets at close range when we tried some rapid fire.

Snub nosed revolvers do serve a purpose, but IMHO they are not the ideal arm for a home defense gun, so I bought the gun so that I could "educate" new shooters.

Rather than tell people the limitations of such a gun, I let them learn it hands on.

Overall it hasn't been a bad gun, I just happen to prefer my full sized Colt45

Nicki

acolytes
06-19-2012, 10:09 AM
There are too many guns out there that I like, to buy a gun I hate.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-19-2012, 4:03 PM
Wow.... my all stock Saiga 7.62x39 sporter is one of my favorite guns. I love everything about it.

And no, it will not be converted.

angrypeccary
06-19-2012, 4:27 PM
Wow.... my all stock Saiga 7.62x39 sporter is one of my favorite guns. I love everything about it.

And no, it will not be converted.

woah, not converting a saiga is like owning a sex doll and not having sex with it. saiga's are so much better with a g2 trigger and pistol grip.

skosh69
06-19-2012, 4:43 PM
Why on earth would you buy a gun you hate???

That's like saying "I hate hamburgers/cheeseburgers but let's go to In & Out for lunch!"

toby
06-19-2012, 4:46 PM
There should be an Fno option

ShooterDK
06-19-2012, 5:21 PM
Never have bought a firearm that I hated. However I have bought firearms that I ended up hating... most notably a Browning BDM. Glad to be rid of it!

Bobby Ricigliano
06-19-2012, 5:33 PM
woah, not converting a saiga is like owning a sex doll and not having sex with it. saiga's are so much better with a g2 trigger and pistol grip.

That is a popular point of view. A different point of view might suggest that the weapon is ruined when it gets neutered with a mag lock just for the sake of looking cooler. Stock is good for me.

ir0nclash86
06-19-2012, 6:17 PM
Why would i waste money on something I know I hate when I could buy something that i'll cherish more instead?

ap1040
06-19-2012, 8:22 PM
I'm not rich like some of the folks here :43: . . . . . too many guns I want to buy one I do not like.

Donkeypunch0420
06-19-2012, 8:24 PM
For example, I rented an M&P.

I didn't care for it (didn't hate it, but another one I rented at the time won my heart).

Yet for some reason, I have a feeling one will end up in my safe within the next 6 months.

1911's I don't like them. I think they look sexy. Nice and heavy. Beyond that, not my go-to gun. Yet I have some. And will probably buy another one in a couple years.

Anyone else?

Gee......don't like M&P's, nor Glocks, 1911's or Saigas......what kind of guns do you like? I mean that in all seriousness.

Agent 0range
06-19-2012, 8:55 PM
I'm not rich like some of the folks here :43: . . . . . too many guns I want to buy one I do not like.

Same here. I currently have 3 on my short list and another 7 or 8 after that. Why waste $ on something I don't want? I'd rather buy a bunch of ammo than a gun I know I'd hate!

adrenaline
06-19-2012, 9:14 PM
Just from the looks of it.... I would hate shooting this gun....

6YWqkX8ZLDI

But damn.... I still want to buy it. :43:

SanPedroShooter
06-19-2012, 9:36 PM
I say that about my keltec P11. Great for carry. I hate shooting it. I hated it for years before buying it. I still hate it. But it is great for carrying...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I bought an oldschool AMT backup because I couldnt get a KeltTec PF9.

I think that roster is dangerous. Instead of buying a cheap, relatively reliable and safe gun to carry, I have to buy a no drop safety single action antique to meet the size and price and time frame I wanted....

These gun laws are going to get someone killed. Dont even get me started on having to buy guns with magazine locks.

WReyth
06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Not something I don't like in general, but maybe something I don't like shooting.
My airweight J-Frame isn't fun to shoot. It's more of a chore to train with, but it's the easiest pistol I have to carry.

Gryff
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Why would you buy a gun that you hate? That makes no sense in any way.

drifter2be
06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
I've never purchased a gun knowing I would hate it. I have made a few purchases and then realized within a trip or two to the range that I dislike the gun, and I promptly post it for sale in the FS section. I don't think that the guy who dies owning the most guns wins, but that's not to say that guns aren't an addiction, but with as many as there are out there, why would you settle for one that you dislike?

JNunez23
06-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow. Why would I do that?

cc56
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Some times (2x) I buy guns I don't like because I get a good deal. They are interesting to shoot then trade for something I want. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean every one hates them.

erik_26
06-20-2012, 6:46 AM
Gee......don't like M&P's, nor Glocks, 1911's or Saigas......what kind of guns do you like? I mean that in all seriousness.

The Beretta PX4 and the XD40 I have beat out the M&P (I will be getting the M&P soon though even though I am like meh... about it). My PX4 in .40 is like an extension of my hand. I am ridiculously quick and accurate with it. Same with my 92FS.

I like my Sigs over 1911's (and not the sig 1911).

AR-15 over the Saiga (and no, mine is not converted). The Saiga was bought for just incase. I know it will always go bang. Ammo is easy to get.

I love the way 1911's look. They are beautiful. I like the feel of heavy guns (not to carry but to hold). I like to pull these out to show them off. I shoot well with them. But they are a pain to clean, I hate the safety, I hate the slide release, I hate < 7 rounds.

At least there are a few other people that voted along with me.

Like some else said, my 442 snub nose is a nasty little thing to shoot. It looks nice and is easy to carry. My .44 magnum is far more enjoyable to shoot.

robcoe
06-20-2012, 7:23 AM
No.

you mean glock owners?

:D

johnny_22
06-20-2012, 7:30 AM
If I can't shoot OK with it, I don't buy it. Don't know why, but, Glocks fall into that category.

If I don't like the feel of it at the gun store, I don't buy it.

If GunTests magazine doesn't like it, I don't buy it. I own a P6. They failed the SIG P6, but, I don't try to shoot hollowpoints (only FMJ and EFMJ) with it and have no problems.

I do own a S&W model 40-1 that hurts like hell to shoot, but, that is the nature of the beast.

Paper Boy
06-20-2012, 7:52 AM
Hate Glocks - never shot well with them never liked their feel. I bought a G20 just so I could shoot and play with the 9x25 Dillon load... Now I also load for 10MM not sure how that happened...

bsg
06-20-2012, 9:24 AM
no; not something i'd do.

bruceflinch
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I've bought guns, not knowing I wouldn't like them.
I've bought guns because I got a smoking deal & knew I could resell it for more $$.
I've bought guns I knew I wanted.
But I've never bought a gun to keep, that I did not like beforehand.

OLDLEORET
06-20-2012, 3:15 PM
Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a gun I knew I would hate. If it will go boom and hit the target, what's to hate?:43:

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-20-2012, 5:29 PM
I "thought" I hated glocks when I started years ago and I ended up buying one. It changed my mind 360* and now glocks are one of my favorite manufactures. The only reason why I'm still debating on selling my 21sf is just because my hands fit a 19 more comfortably.

Beetle Bailey
06-20-2012, 5:47 PM
I'm not sure if a S&W 642 would count for me under your criteria. I can't shoot them for beans - I've never been able to shoot snubnosed revolvers worth a darn. And I don't enjoy shooting them, either. Too small to get a good grip on it, and the sight radius sucks. Kicks too much with self defense loads so not only will I miss, but follow-up shots are gonna be slow. But I wouldn't say I hate them. And I do want one; it's on the short list.

e46sc3
06-20-2012, 5:53 PM
I've never bought a gun that I didn't like, but I have purchased a gun that I ended up not liking as much as I thought I would. For instance ... My old P239 which in it's own rights is a great gun, but it just didn't feel right in my hands. I ended up selling it and are currently looking for a P228 to replace it.

Josh3239
06-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Only AKs. Went through like 5 of them. Why? I wanted to like them, I tried to like them. Everyone else likes them but I just hate them. IMO everything about them sucks. Just my opinion. Can't think of any other gun that I hate, I mean I don't particularly care for Glocks, SU16 or Minis but I don't hate them. In fact, I'd be happy to give Glocks another try.

ItsYourBoyBlue
06-20-2012, 10:39 PM
There are a couple of exceptions, but generally I'm not buying any gun that I do not like at least some aspect of.

SanPedroShooter
06-22-2012, 1:10 PM
I "thought" I hated glocks when I started years ago and I ended up buying one. It changed my mind 360* and now glocks are one of my favorite manufactures. The only reason why I'm still debating on selling my 21sf is just because my hands fit a 19 more comfortably.

I really like your user name.

CSACANNONEER
06-22-2012, 1:12 PM
I bought a Glock ONCE for the sole purpose of letting others shoot it before the buy their first gun. Once they shoot my Glock and one of my 1911s, they quickly decide against buying a Glock.

stix213
06-22-2012, 1:59 PM
My Ruger LCP. I think it is kinda ugly, I hate the trigger, I hate the sights, I hate the two clicks you have to let off for a trigger reset, and it is difficult to shoot accurate with.

I thought I would grow to like it cause of its light weight as a good carry or LUCC pistol, but I just don't trust my ability with it, so I don't carry or LUCC it, and I don't like it so I don't practice with it, so i don't get better lol.

Thought it might replace my Sig P238 in that role, being about 6 oz lighter, but that little Sig is one of the handguns I shoot best with. Great trigger, great sights, easy to shoot, can't say enough good stuff about it, and I like to shoot it recreational just cause I love it, so I stay good with it anyway. I like to shoot it more than even my Sig 1911.

Thinking of dumping the LCP, but haven't decided.

Mr.1904
06-22-2012, 2:36 PM
I can't even afford the guns i know i will love.