PDA

View Full Version : Why do M4's have oval handguards

frankm
06-18-2012, 1:26 PM
OK, I'm dating myself. But why do M4's have oval handguards and the M16A2's had round ones? Why use an oval handguard? What benefit are they? Is it just for the extra heat-shielding? The reason I ask is that my PSA 20" upper came with full-length oval handguards, and they just seem like they don't belong.

winnre
06-18-2012, 3:57 PM
To me the oval handguards are VERY comfy in my hands and I prefer them. The round ones are interchangeable and hence one assembly line can make them whereas the ovals need a left and right side line.

I was taught by Uncle Sam to hold my palm flat and lay the rifle on it, then curl my fingers around. Works very well for me. I can also grab the front of the rifle in the dark and already know its orientation to shoulder it faster.

frankm
06-18-2012, 4:01 PM
To me the oval handguards are VERY comfy in my hands and I prefer them. The round ones are interchangeable and hence one assembly line can make them whereas the ovals need a left and right side line.

I was taught by Uncle Sam to hold my palm flat and lay the rifle on it, then curl my fingers around. Works very well for me. I can also grab the front of the rifle in the dark and already know its orientation to shoulder it faster.

That's a good point. Think I'll play around with it before making a judgement.