PDA

View Full Version : ready to buy ak kit...but

tvfreakarms
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
But i would like ur opionions first since this would b my first.
Im lookin at either the unissued izmash akm or the yugo. The guy from rguns stated that the yugo has matching numbers as well. Although i like the izmash cause of the fact where its from, im leaning toward the yugo cause its simply cheaper.
The other reason i want to buy from rguns is because the furniture looks like in good shape compared to other parts kit.

What do you guys think of the yugo ak brand? Is there any compadibility issues?

Your thoughts or any other suggestions?

Also have you guys had any experience shopping with rguns?

And for the 922r compliance, you cant have more than 10 foreign made parts correct? And the rest has to b american made?

Ill wait for your opionions and or suggestions b4 buying.

Heres the link to rguns:

yugo or izmash parts kit (http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-parts-AK.shtml)

dbo31
06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Everyone seems to love the Yugo AK's..they are built like tanks supposedly and that looks like a pretty good price. The izzy kit looks good but you might be paying a little extra because it says Izhmash on it..would be a nice collector gun.

I'd go Yugo.

I also go sidetracked drooling over that Krink kit below.

Chaos47
06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
If you want a Izhmash why not get a Siaga and convert it... it will cost a lot less

xSARSx
06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
If you want a Izhmash why not get a Siaga and convert it... it will cost a lot less

cuz now if he does that it will say saiga not izhmash! and im sure he woudnt want that:cool2:

ott1
06-18-2012, 11:54 AM
The Yugo is a virgin kit and not standard AKM. It has no numbers on it.

zfields
06-18-2012, 12:48 PM
An uninssued Russian kit? Where?

Yugo is not a brand, its a country of origin.

killathrilla
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM

MrPlink
06-18-2012, 1:23 PM
cuz now if he does that it will say saiga not izhmash! and im sure he woudnt want that:cool2:

they still have the izzy arsenal mark on it.
:::shrug:::

either way you go, there are arguments to be made as to which is more "authentic"

Chaos47
06-18-2012, 5:53 PM

The flat he bends for the AK kit will not say Izhmash on it...

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa240/zeme05/AK47007.jpg

Rekrab
06-18-2012, 7:05 PM
I love my Yugo RPK. Hell of a pain to actually build but tons of fun. The long, thick barrel makes it more accurate than your typical AK. I've never put it on paper beyond 100 yards, but I typically pull 1-2MOA with mine and it had a new barrel when I built it.

tvfreakarms
06-19-2012, 12:21 AM
When u say a virgin kit do u mean its an unissued kit?
The guy i spoke with said it does have matching numbers.
I emailed them and got the same answer

The Yugo is a virgin kit and not standard AKM. It has no numbers on it.

tvfreakarms
06-19-2012, 12:25 AM
On their website it saids that the izhmash is a unissued kit.
And since its a izhmash kit and unissued kit its pricy. Well thats what the guy said

An uninssued Russian kit? Where?

Yugo is not a brand, its a country of origin.

tvfreakarms
06-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Why is it a pain to build? Is it because its a yugo kit?

Are there any difference between the yugo and the akm kit?

Do you have a pic of ur yugo?

I love my Yugo RPK. Hell of a pain to actually build but tons of fun. The long, thick barrel makes it more accurate than your typical AK. I've never put it on paper beyond 100 yards, but I typically pull 1-2MOA with mine and it had a new barrel when I built it.

tvfreakarms
06-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks for some advice lol. Although the izhmash kit would b nice to own its a little to pricey.
It looks like im lookin to get the yugo.
Although i prefer a darker wood the yugo looks good enough.
The guy at rguns said the kits r in good condition.

Any other objections or suggestions b4 i pull the trigger? :-)

tvfreakarms
06-19-2012, 6:24 PM
@caiman
thanks.

What r your thoughts on the yugo?

Trying to get more opinions b4 pulling the trigger

tvfreakarms
06-26-2012, 2:06 AM
I've decided that i would get a romy G ak47 kit.

I was on akbuilder looking for a rec flat. I noticed that they have the 1mm and the 1.5mm thick rec. Which does most ak builder prefer?

858casper858
06-26-2012, 7:37 AM
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29838

That is what you want for a Romy G.

tvfreakarms
06-27-2012, 2:19 AM
What is ur thoughts on the 1.5mm flat for the romy g?

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?
dispatch=products.view&product_id=29838

That is what you want for a Romy G.

858casper858
06-27-2012, 6:27 AM
What is ur thoughts on the 1.5mm flat for the romy g?

You'll need to shave the trunnions to fit and use a 1.5mm center support.

CIV Tactical
06-27-2012, 7:05 AM
the izhmash kit is a peice of history. I know its pricey but if your an AK freak like some of us are then having a matching numbers russian AK from 1969 where kalishnakov was forman at one point is special. For 922r compliance you need to look up the "imported partd list" , there are 20 parts the ATF has chosen for imported assault type rifles and you can only use 10. heres a link

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

tvfreakarms
07-04-2012, 2:09 AM
Thanks!

I wouldn't say i'm an AK freak, but that was one of the reason i'm thinking of buying the kit. I'm also planning on getting a romy but just having a kit from back then would be great to have. Cause i figure sometime in the future that kit will be sold out and no more will be available.

the izhmash kit is a peice of history. I know its pricey but if your an AK freak like some of us are then having a matching numbers russian AK from 1969 where kalishnakov was forman at one point is special. For 922r compliance you need to look up the "imported partd list" , there are 20 parts the ATF has chosen for imported assault type rifles and you can only use 10. heres a link

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

tvfreakarms
07-04-2012, 2:11 AM
To bad the 1969 izhmash kit didn't come with the original barrel.

artoaster
07-04-2012, 6:23 AM
I'd say get the 1969 Izhmash kit and sit on it. Meanwhile build a Romy or better yet get the Izhmash AK74 kit listed on the same vendor's page and use that as your first build with maybe a U.S. barrel.

I would do that because at the end of the day I'd have two Izhmash rifles in two calibers and probably would be so enamored with the first 5.45x39 AK74 build I'd really be able to put some loving effort into the '69 and possibly find a really good barrel for it

tvfreakarms
07-04-2012, 6:36 AM
You think they will go for a group buy ;).

But do you think the $650 price tag is worth it?

Also, just out of pure curiosity, the trigger that comes with that kit does it come with the auto seer?

I'd say get the 1969 Izhmash kit and sit on it. Meanwhile build a Romy or better yet get the Izhmash AK74 kit listed on the same vendor's page and use that as your first build with maybe a U.S. barrel.

I would do that because at the end of the day I'd have two Izhmash rifles in two calibers and probably would be so enamored with the first 5.45x39 AK74 build I'd really be able to put some loving effort into the '69 and possibly find a really good barrel for it

tujungatoes
07-04-2012, 7:19 AM
It's spelled "sear" and yes they sometimes do. If you happen to receive an auto sear or rate reducer destroy them immediately....unless of course you enjoy the idea of spending 10 years in federal prison and losing your right to own firearms and vote(amongst others).

tvfreakarms
07-05-2012, 1:44 AM
OHHHHHH. So just possessing an "auto sear" is illegal!

I thought it's ok to own one as long it's not put into the rec. Good to know;)

tvfreakarms
07-05-2012, 1:47 AM
Since you are on the AK team ;), i'll ask you what i asked the last fellow calgunner, do you think its worth buying an original russian AK kit for $650?

It's spelled "sear" and yes they sometimes do. If you happen to receive an auto sear or rate reducer destroy them immediately....unless of course you enjoy the idea of spending 10 years in federal prison and losing your right to own firearms and vote(amongst others).

tujungatoes
07-05-2012, 7:50 AM
Since you are on the AK team ;), i'll ask you what i asked the last fellow calgunner, do you think its worth buying an original russian AK kit for $650?

In my personal opinion, no. They all function the same regardless of where they were made. If it matters to YOU, then go for it. Otherwise...meh:shrug:

artoaster
07-05-2012, 8:45 AM
In my personal opinion, no. They all function the same regardless of where they were made. If it matters to YOU, then go for it. Otherwise...meh:shrug:

Yes exactly! That's why some buy Saigas, some WASR's, others Romys, etc.

But, if owning a 1969 Izhmash is something you want then get it. Of course it's much more $$ than an AK that will operate very much the same.

I would be stoked if it turned out I got one of the last of these kits but I wouldn't expect the value to jump to some crazy number just because it's a 1969 Izhmash. I think you have to ask yourself how this kit is better and in what respects it either is more aesthetically appealing to you, or what the origins of manufacture mean to you or others who may want it in the future.

tvfreakarms
07-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Good point. I'll have to think about it.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
07-06-2012, 4:05 AM
Are you a collector or just want it for cause its "cool?"

valley82
07-06-2012, 7:06 AM
The question is, are you a collector yet. Building AKs is addicting.

Rule .308
07-06-2012, 7:36 AM
At the end of the day, they are all kit guns, not collectors. If having a kit that has Izmash stamps on the trunions is more desireable to you than one that has Zastava or Romy or any other stamps on it then spend the extra $ and enjoy it.

All of the variants have their cool points and features but I like the Yugos as they are just a little more robust and have some cool features on them.

The 1.5mm flats are for RPKs and some Yugos whereas the rest of the world uses the standard 1mm receiver. If you want to put a 1.5mm receiver where it is not called for you will have to machine the trunnions and center support to fit. Not worth the hassle as well as not "correct" for the variant you are trying to assemble. If it was originally built on a 1.5, then run it, otherwise run the 1mm that it came with.