View Full Version : Thinking of Selling/Trading Mini 14

06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am considering selling my Mini 14. I like the rifle and it shoots and accurate, but I really want to get the AR-15 (M&P 15 Sport).

I am not sure how much I should be selling it for. I bought it about 2 months ago from and fired only 80 rounds through it. What do you all think it would be worth? I was thinking about listing it for maybe $600 or $650. I would include 3 10rd factory mags and the original 5rd mag.

Let me know what you guys think.

06-18-2012, 10:34 AM

06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Is it stainless? The stainless versions seem to be worth a bit more than the blued. You also might consider trying to trade for an M&P Sport. Here where I live, I see used/new M&P Sports selling for 750-800 New and 650-700 used. Pics definitely would help in placing a value though.

06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Keep the Mini, you'll wish you still had it in a couple of years.

06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
It has crossed my mind to keep the Mini 14 and just get the M&P Sport later on. Iam guessing the cost of the mini is going to raise up in the years to come?

Cheese & Bacon
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
You should sell that piece of junk mini, heck I'll do you the favor of taking it off your hands.

06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
The mini-14 is a good gun. If you are hankering for an AR style, the M&P sport is a good gun too. Just make sure you get a newer version with 5R rifling with the 1/8 twist.

06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I am guessing the cost of the mini is going to raise up in the years to come?

Probably not but most likely not going to go down either.

Since you like to shoot the Mini and find it accurate for your needs unless you just want to have an AR, the M&P Sport won't do much more than the Mini will basically.

Unless you need the funds from the sale of the Mini to fund the AR purchase I agree with others here and keep your Mini if you are happy with it and get the AR as well.

Mossy Man
06-18-2012, 2:20 PM
My advice is not to sell. Every gun I've sold I've regretted. But if you're planning on keeping t a r 15 with features, The mini 14 will be better go to gun.

I have both a mini 14 and a sport. The sport is just for fun. The mini 14 is for taking out the trash

06-18-2012, 2:39 PM
My advice is unless you really hate the gun don't get rid of it! In the end you will just find yourself kicking yourself for letting it go, and I have learned that lesson myself when it comes to guns. I have owned a mini 14 before and sold it (it was to fund another project), and I currently own a daniel defense AR. Now I do absolutely love my AR15, but I have to say that one day I will have to buy another mini 14 to replace the one I let go. There is just something very fun about that gun :). Besides being able to drop magazines freely is really awesome!

23 Blast
06-18-2012, 4:25 PM
"Take the Mini. Leave the cannoli."

06-18-2012, 5:25 PM
I have put a lot of zombies down with my Mini. Seriously, I would take the Mini over the Sport, but it is a subjective call and both rifles are very much worth having. Heck, if it were me, I'd want to own both a Mini 14 and an AR. Come to think of it, I do.:chris:

06-18-2012, 5:35 PM
go which ever way you want, Mini14s or Ar15s are not going anywhere anytime soon, so if down the road you change your mind you can always find another (or both).

Its not like we are talking rare or one of kind rifles here...

23 Blast
06-18-2012, 5:40 PM
I have put a lot of zombies down with my Mini. Seriously, I would take the Mini over the Sport, but it is a subjective call and both rifles are very much worth having. Heck, if it were me, I'd want to own both a Mini 14 and an AR. Come to think of it, I do.:chris:

The Mini is a great gun, and the newer, tapered barrel versions are very, very sweet guns. The knock on Minis used to be that they were inaccurate and started stringing shots when the barrel got hot. This is true, I used to own an old 185- series Mini and would observe this phenomenon time and time again. However, my newer, stainless steel 580- series doesn't do this, and shots still go where I aim them. The ability to drop mags and just the general profile (I happen to like the more traditionally-contoured rifle stock to pistol-gripped rifles) makes the Mini a winner for me.

06-19-2012, 2:57 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. After thinking about it. I decided to hold onto it for now. Maybe in a couple months I will get the M&P Sport. Unless I get into a pistol kind of mode than I will have to wait even longer lol

07-09-2012, 1:22 PM
unless you are struggling to pay bills..keep both. minis are only worth 500 bucks used...thats not that much money you would have to go through dros and all that BS again..

personally i use my Mini 14 as a backup rifle...also kind of a toy as well, i got 2 diff stocks and did my first camo paint job on it because i was too OCD about painting my AR...

i shoot both and honestly like the M14 sometimes...it has a nice "old school" feel to it, pretty damn accurate, easy to work and shoot..

also in a SHTF scenario, you can rock your AR while you give your brother or family member the M14 for backup...

07-09-2012, 6:55 PM
Throw that Mini crap in the trash can...and go buy flowers and lollipops. Sen. Yee will love you for that kind gesture. We don't want mass casualties due to you selling that Mini...aka the innocent child and killing machine!

07-09-2012, 7:03 PM
I'd keep the mini if you get an ar 15 your gonna have a bullet button and if you don't want to have a bullet button you have to get a featureless stock witch makes the gun look retarded.600 $ seems like a fair price.

07-09-2012, 7:07 PM
I have both an AR and a Mini. I wouldn't part with either

07-09-2012, 7:08 PM
Keep the mini and buy an AR too :)

07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
I finally decided to pull the trigger and put a down payment on a M&P Sport. Iam getting it from Bain and Davis and unfortunately, they have to order it for me. So I will probably need to wait about a week or two before I can even start the DROS =(

08-01-2012, 6:09 AM
You will love the AR platform, but keep the Mini. Both great guns in their own ways.

08-01-2012, 7:25 AM
An AR15 with a bullet button is not a practical home defense weapon. Keep the Mini and then save up for an AR15 to use as a range toy. I have both and like both but until California law changes the Mini-14 is the one I'll reach for in an emergency.

08-01-2012, 7:38 AM
If you wish to trade it for my sniper mosin 91/30 - you know how to reach me.

08-01-2012, 9:32 AM
get the AR 15, the rifle is a modular gun and you can get magazines for it anywhere. The many 14 is a decent rifle but has proprietary magazines and if yours has a scope base that is also proprietary.

08-01-2012, 9:40 AM
I'm also in the camp of keeping the Mini and buying the AR. If during your ownership of both rifles, you decide that you like one much better than the other and don't really shoot one enough, then I'd recommend selling.

As many have already mentioned... the AR you gotta either got featureless or deal with a bullet button. The Mini in its standard configuration requires no bullet button. A big bonus for the Mini is how low the irons are to the bore axis and how low you can mount a scope. I have Warne Quick Detach rings for my Mini 14 so I can scope and un-scope quickly without losing zero.

08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the additional input guys. I have decided to keep the Mini 14 as well, it is always good to have a extra rifle handy. Although, I will probably neglect it once I get my hands on the M&P sport lol