View Full Version : Any small scale fabrication/CNCs making iPhone mounts?

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 7:59 PM
I'm interested in making something like the Knight's Armament Co mount, but with a sturdier folding mangonel-style mechanism and a simplified "staple through your sacrificial rubber iPhone case" mount, flipping the other way around to protect the front of the iPhone against the rifle.

I'd like to just have my dope card and ballistics dashboard right there when I'm shooting. Also I suppose listening to iTunes and texting while rocking the rifle could have some appeal. ("TXT U BAK L8R IF I LIVE D00D IN CONTACT"). It might be nice to step into the market below the KAC product before the UTGs and NCSTARs of the world start to Chinese it up...

Vexingly, the KAC mount is apparently still unobtainium - http://www.knightarmco.com/ipod_mount_25695.htm - doesn't seem to be able to be added to cart.

HK Dave
06-17-2012, 8:12 PM
Do you think an iPhone can handle the recoil of something like 308win? Let alone something like 338 lapua mag?

06-17-2012, 8:16 PM
I was going to make my own, I opted for the nintendo DS holder instead

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 8:17 PM
It's the question I hear first. I guess we won't know until we try : ) I'm more than willing to donate my iPhone to the cause.

Honestly, I suspect it's probably good for it... it's solid state and with a thick rubber case or perhaps a shock-absorbing gasket or spring tension mechanism and some imagination I think it could be worked around.

06-17-2012, 8:18 PM
Don't see why not. I've dropped my iPhone numerous times (it has a rubber shell on) and it still keeps going.

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 8:19 PM
Oh, interesting! Do you mean one of these?

So you epoxy or drill/tap/screw the case to a picatinny riser and you're good to go?

That is some honest to god redneck genius if so -

I was going to make my own, I opted for the nintendo DS holder instead

06-17-2012, 8:53 PM
No, I made some carbon fiber from the beard of Chris Costa himaelf

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 8:56 PM
Actually, the 3DS case is almost precisely .3" over the height/length of the iPhone. Perhaps with some rubber backing or neoprene packing it could work...

06-17-2012, 9:30 PM
Mine is just a ds light.

I am of course kidding, but I actually did almost do this for SnGs...

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 9:34 PM
Mine is just a ds light.

I am of course kidding, but I actually did almost do this for SnGs...

See, this gets really easy and doesn't require fab if you have a more plastic substance that's easier to work with for filling in void and absorbing impact... something like foam packing:

So I'm thinking... take one of my crappy 2-slot UTG risers... affix it somehow to the side of this plastic DS case... fill the bottom half with expanding foam... set an iphone case in there as the foam sets... sand off and finish the foam as necessary... bang, redneck iphone mount. Hmm....

Mossy Man
06-17-2012, 9:58 PM
whats the purpose of this?

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Easy access to this:

06-18-2012, 4:25 PM
you should put a bendable clamp so your rifle can hold your cheeseburger for you too while you're at it. Easy access and whatnot.