PDA

View Full Version : Upper build parts list

paintballdad
06-17-2012, 3:42 PM
I'll be trying my very first upper build using a JD Machine stripped upper receiver and would like to know if i have everything covered with the list below.
I did not include a delta ring assemby since i plan on using a 2 pc free float quad rail. Any other suggestions would certainly be welcome. Thanks.

14.5" M4 profile barrel with M4 feed ramps
Smith Vortex FH (should meet the 16" min if pinned and welded)
F marked FSB and handguard cap
Carbine gas tube and roll pin
Barrel nut
Dust cover assembly
Forward assist assembly
GG&G A2 BUIS
BCG
BCM Gunfighter charging handle

anothergunnut
06-17-2012, 4:10 PM
Depending upon the rail you use, you may not need a barrel nut. Some rails replace the standard barrel nut with a proprietary barrel nut. Figure that out before you spend $10 on the barrel nut.

paintballdad
06-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks. The rails i'm considering will be using the stock barrel nut for mounting.

paintballdad
06-22-2012, 3:43 PM
Didn't get much response regarding my question. :confused: I'm guessing the list is GTG.

Also decided on using a lo pro gas block instead of the A2 FSB and AAC Blackout FH instead of the Smith Vortex. Handguard choice is still up in the air but want one that's 9" or 10" long (either 1 pc or 2 pc free float) and uses the stock barrel nut for mounting .

I do need some input regarding the barrel choice. I want a 14.5" lightweight chrome lined carbine lenght barrel and considering the DD barrel for around $250. Any other suggestions to barrel choice.

tanakasan
06-22-2012, 7:10 PM
List looks good!

Pinned AAC is GTG with a 14.5". Can't go wrong with a DD barrel!

I have a 9" DD Omega rail...2 piece, uses stock barrel nut and is narrow and light @9.3oz IIRC. Pricey but nice!

Robert

edit: not sure if 9" Omega works with carbine length. Omega X will, but proprietary nut.

paintballdad
06-22-2012, 8:04 PM
^DD rails are really nice and light but the MI 9" SS gen2 handguards are even lighter at 8.3 oz including the proprietary barrel nut.
I'm really liking the Samson Evolution handguards, fairly light and it's affordable.