PDA

View Full Version : .22 Rimfire Conversion Kit in AR

MistWolf
06-17-2012, 2:31 PM
The Flow Chart shows that AW laws do not apply to a rimfire rifle. If a .22 rimfire conversion kit is installed in place of the standard BCG of an AR, is it considered a rimfire and can it use the standard 26 round rimfire mags?

tuna quesadilla
06-17-2012, 2:34 PM
Did you own the mags prior to 2000?

Does the rifle have a bullet button?

MistWolf
06-17-2012, 2:51 PM
Rifle has a bullet button. If rifle is rimfire and not subject to AW laws, why would it matter when the mags were obtained? Does the mag ban apply to rimfires?

Is an AR with a conversion kit installed subject to AW laws or not?

Ubermcoupe
06-17-2012, 3:03 PM
No BB required for rimfire.
No mag limit (i.e. 10+ =/= an AW)
BUT you have to have acquired said mags legally - how you did that is on you

ALSO: don’t get non-rimfire upper and your non-BB lower together or you would be manufacturing an AW

NiteQwill
06-17-2012, 3:04 PM
Did you own the mags prior to 2000?

Does the rifle have a bullet button?

Why does that matter to the OP

He is shooting rimfire.

OP: magazine capacity is a separate issue.

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 3:05 PM
The magazine laws are separate from the AW laws.

It doesn't matter if the mags are for rimfire. You cannot sell, import, manufacture, etc. magazines that have a capacity greater than 10 rounds after 1/1/2000, period.

It just happens that a fixed magazine over 10 rounds on a semi auto center fire rifle is an AW, or a non-fixed magazine on a semi auto center fire rifle is an AW if that rifle has certain features.

If you aren't illegally acquiring the magazines, yes you could use them in an AR with a .22lr conversion installed.

tuna quesadilla
06-17-2012, 3:15 PM
Why does that matter to the OP

He is shooting rimfire.

OP: magazine capacity is a separate issue.

Your contribution to this thread has been monumental.

tomd1584
06-17-2012, 3:33 PM
Guys, for all we know the OP is a LEO. he could have purchased 26 round mags TODAY.

let try and answer he question and not deviate about whether or not he's manufacturing hi caps.

MistWolf
06-17-2012, 3:43 PM
I do not have any 26 round mags for my conversion kit in California. They are in another state. I didn't know enough about California laws to risk bring them here. I was wondering if they'd be legal because they are for a rimfire.

From what I gather from the answers in this post, magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds are not allowed if not purchased in California prior to the ban, regardless if they are centerfire or rimfire.

I also gather from the responses, an AR with the rimfire conversion kit installed (which uses the complete AR upper but replaces the AR centerfire BCG) is not subject to the AW laws.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your patience

Munny$hot
06-17-2012, 4:37 PM
You are correct a .22 bolt kit in a 5.56 upper does not apply to the AW rules.
You can bring +10 round mags into CA, but they must remain in parts kits to use outside of CA
You can use these parts kits to rebuild preexisting mags you legally owned prior to 2000 even if only a few pieces are identical such as the springs and followers such as the Ciener mags that where available since the early 70's. If the other components fail they can be replaced as necessary to keep your magazines functioning. They must function for what it was originally designed for, but can also be used in newer guns that use the same type of magazine. Just be sure not to have more mags than you started out with in the beginning.

MrPlink
06-17-2012, 4:58 PM
If you aren't illegally acquiring the magazines, yes you could use them in an AR with a .22lr conversion installed.

care to explain why?

Acquisition is COMPLETELY separate from use AND possession.

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 5:42 PM
care to explain why?

Acquisition is COMPLETELY separate from use AND possession.

Uhh... do I seriously have to explain this? I'd have figured you would know this with as many threads as you've posted in on this site...

From PC 12020a2:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

You can't use what you can't have. If you can get them legally, you can use them. If you can't get them legally, you can't use them without having broken the law in the first place. What's difficult to understand about this? Unless you're suggesting someone break the law to get the magazines...

Possession is legal, use is not always legal, and acquisition has a bit of a legal hurdle for most people. I think you're confusing possession of something, with acquisition of something.

MrPlink
06-17-2012, 6:05 PM
Merc, that covers forms of Acquisition which are illegal. Im not going to go into details, but if you have critical thinking skills you can see that it actually does not make all forms of acquisition illegal, but the bottom line is nowhere in thay PC does use or possesion become illegal.

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 6:07 PM
I didn't say use or possession would be illegal. I said he can't use something that he can't get. There is a difference. There are a few exemptions to the PC that would allow him to acquire hi capacity mags in CA, and I'm willing to bet that none of them apply to him. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with "if you can't get it, you can't use it" unless you're using some dictionary that's different from the rest of us. Having a dead hooker isn't necessarily illegal, but if you have to kill the hooker in the first place...

MrPlink
06-17-2012, 6:09 PM
Ok, since you use the phrase "cant get"
Here is the most common clear cut way of legal acquisition: finding a mag!

In practice I understand what o

MrPlink
06-17-2012, 6:11 PM

(there is another, but it opens up a whole other can of worms)

So what then?

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 6:11 PM

In practice I understand what o

While not impossible, it's not like you can guarantee you're going to just find the mag you need, when you need it. Again I would hope you aren't suggesting someone break the law then use a bull**** excuse.

MrPlink
06-17-2012, 6:43 PM
Im only arguing what the law itself says, I am in no way advocating illegal activity.

But when we make blanket false statements about what a PC says or how it actually works then we start sounding like ANTIs

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 7:08 PM
As I said, finding one wouldn't be impossible but I'm not going to tell someone that they simply fall out of the sky, or imply that they just use it as an excuse(which is what you appeared to do).

Dreaded Claymore
06-17-2012, 8:59 PM
TL;DR: Please don't break the law. Breaking the law is bad for you and the mission.