PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a completed lower that is CA-legal online?

Mab Asakura
06-17-2012, 12:39 PM
So I finally found out that I have to be 21 years of age or older to be able to purchase a stripped lower online/in stores. There goes my hopes and dreams of ever saving money on an AR build. I'm now left at the mercy of gun stores that have completed lowers since getting those only require a rounded age of 18. I'm 19 btw, just in case you were wondering. I'm just wondering if anybody have any recommendation as to how I can get a completed CA-legal lower from either an online retailer or from a gun store? I live in the 92683 area. Thanks!

4DMASTR
06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Many shops here in NorCal have complete lowers on the shelf. I would assume someone would have one close to you. Sorry I cant help but best of luck.

loosewreck
06-17-2012, 1:17 PM
Westminster right? Check Turners and Rifle Gear to start, there's lots of good EBR shops in your neck of the woods.

Oh BTW, welcome to Calguns!

Redchevyman
06-17-2012, 1:22 PM
You can get a complete NFA polymer lower for $125 online. Mount Pleasant Arms has them in stock. They are closed this week but you can order it now.
http://www.mparms.com/New-Frontier-Armory-Complete-Lower-_p_153.html

tuna quesadilla
06-17-2012, 1:25 PM
So I finally found out that I have to be 21 years of age or older to be able to purchase a stripped lower online/in stores. There goes my hopes and dreams of ever saving money on an AR build. I'm now left at the mercy of gun stores that have completed lowers since getting those only require a rounded age of 18. I'm 19 btw, just in case you were wondering. I'm just wondering if anybody have any recommendation as to how I can get a completed CA-legal lower from either an online retailer or from a gun store? I live in the 92683 area. Thanks!

You're in for a big surprise.

whoawhoawhoa
06-17-2012, 1:31 PM
i think you have to be 21 to buy it if it isn't a complete rifle

that being said, there are some places that will just build you the rifle and sell it complete with what you want
some of these places will even let you supply some of your own parts

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 1:37 PM
I'm not sure why you think you'll be saving money on an AR build. Typically you only end up saving money if you want a specific configuration that you can't get pre-built(and would have to start swapping parts) when you consider how cheap a smith & wesson m&p 15 can be had for.

Just go buy the rifle.

loosewreck
06-17-2012, 1:45 PM
I'm not sure why you think you'll be saving money on an AR build. Typically you only end up saving money if you want a specific configuration that you can't get pre-built(and would have to start swapping parts) when you consider how cheap a smith & wesson m&p 15 can be had for.

Just go buy the rifle.

This is so true and good advice.

Just save up and wait for M&P 15s to go on sale at Turners and put down a deposit to lock down the sale price- problem solved. IIRC they require 20% for lay away.

Secret
06-17-2012, 2:33 PM
You're in for a big surprise.

Heres the surprise. Gotta be 21 to even buy a complete lower bro :/. 5 more months till i become 21, but in the meantime i kept myself busy converting a saiga.

tuna quesadilla
06-17-2012, 2:55 PM
Heres the surprise. Gotta be 21 to even buy a complete lower bro :/. 5 more months till i become 21, but in the meantime i kept myself busy converting a saiga.

Man, even with your username being what it is, you couldn't keep it a surprise? :p

Arkangel
06-17-2012, 4:22 PM

Just go buy the rifle.

Another +1

PolishMike
06-17-2012, 4:39 PM
Yep, since a complete lower is not a "long gun" you can't do it.

Its cheaper to buy a complete AR anyway if you are looking at quality. Plus when you buy from a decent company (SW, LMT, DD, Colt, ect) you get superb support and customer service.

Mab Asakura
06-17-2012, 6:42 PM
Ahh. I must've misread something along the way. Good thing I came here and asked first before I made any purchase. From what I've gotten out of the replies in this thread, I have three options.

1. Wait until I'm 21 to purchase a complete lower.
2. Get a pre-built rifle off the shelf from a reputable dealer. (considering this since it'll be in a shorter time frame compared to the other two)
3. Find a place that'll assemble the rifle if I supply them with my completed upper and let them pop both the top and bottom together into a complete rifle. (also considering this, although not as much as option 2)

With that being said, I have another set of questions for you fine gentlemen (ladies too), are the S&W MP 15 worth their salt? In terms of reliability of parts go. Also, is its accuracy comparable to that of other ARs?

Merc1138
06-17-2012, 6:53 PM
I'm not sure how your third option would work, since you'd still have to buy the lower first for them to do that, unless you found a shop that just built you a complete custom rifle. Odds are that'd probably end up costing you even more money.

As far as the S&W goes, yes. You're not going to get the accuracy of some $2000 match grade build out of a $700-$800 rifle, but you probably couldn't build that for the cost of an m&p 15 anyway. If I were you, I'd just buy a complete AR-15 and go shooting. Once you've gotten decent with it, then consider swapping out the upper for something else that meets your needs better whether that be a 10 pound 20" bull barrel match upper, or some lightweight 14.5" with a CF freefloat tube. Start basic, then go nuts later when you have a better idea of what you're looking for(and it's not like you're only ever going to have just 1 anyway so toss that idea right out the window).

lorax3
06-17-2012, 7:01 PM
From what I've gotten out of the replies in this thread, I have three options

Correct. Although getting a dealer to help you with #3 will be a bit tricky, but it's legally possible. I'd just find a complete rifle you like unless you would like to wait until you are 21.

A fourth option would be to have your parents gift you a lower, since there is no FFL involved you only need be 18.

rbetts
06-17-2012, 7:06 PM
We sell Spikes complete and LMT complete lowers here

Secret
06-17-2012, 7:18 PM
I forgot one thing that you could do. You can either make or buy a complete upper and find an ad on the classifieds for a complete lower. Before you buy the complete lower slap your upper on it and continue with the transaction. The complete lower with the upper is now a rifle. A number of people have told me about this when i was in your position but still check around for other choices.

jsipe007
06-18-2012, 7:03 AM
I agree the S&W ar-15s are excellent. I ended up building a Palmetto State Armory rifle (from all PSA Parts minus the stripped lower) and I'm incredibly happy with it. I suggest either trying to find a PSA complete rifle, or find a M&P for reasonable price. Here in Reno, NV a local shop has an M&P Sport used for $675. Thats a hard price to beat. My rifle cost around $800 and has all the magpul furniture, so I figure price is very similar between the two, and quality is exceptional. My buddy has an M&P Sport and it is completely reliable. I prefer my PSA trigger slightly over his trigger but, as far as the eye can see, thats virtually the only difference.

Mongoblack23
06-18-2012, 8:19 AM
buy a simple complete rifle, learn how to completely break it down, buy the other parts you want, rebuild your rifle, keep or sell off unused parts....