PDA

View Full Version : 300 blk plinking ammo?

zombiescanlearn
06-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I haven't been able to find any? Anyone know where i can find some?

FatalKitty
06-17-2012, 2:15 PM
reload it yourself :) that's what I have been doing!

MrPlink
06-17-2012, 3:52 PM
lol, its called 7.62x39.

Hell, Im pretty sure you could score .308 for less

Maddog5150
06-17-2012, 5:17 PM
Your thread title is an oxymoron

rromeo
06-17-2012, 5:41 PM
If Cheaper Than Dirt will sell it to you, they have it for $10 a box.

darqhelmet
06-17-2012, 5:45 PM
You want what now? :smilielol5:

DarkSoul
06-17-2012, 5:52 PM
As was mentioned, several manufactures are selling it for $10 a box now. I reload, and am now making supersonic, using 147g milsurp bullets and milsurp powder for .17 each, so basically as much as .223

The round is really taking off so, expect the price to continue to come down, and the ammo to become more available.

Maddog5150
06-17-2012, 6:12 PM
The round is really taking off so, expect the price to continue to come down, and the ammo to become more available.

I remember hearing that before though on a famouse little round. Cant remember which one it was though... oh yeah ALL OF THEM :p

Specifically, there was an AR one that started with a six, ended with an eight and had a point thrown in somewhere in the middle :D

DarkSoul
06-17-2012, 6:35 PM
That may be so, but the 6.8 doesn't use cut down massively available .223 / 5.56 brass, and standard AR mags. Also, the 6.8 is a completely different application, more suited for longer range, un-suppressed use.

IMO (really, just my opinion here) the 300BO is the best option for shorter range (sub 200 yards) hard hitting round. It can run super or sub sonic suppressed, is extremely cheap to reload, if you reload, and only requires a new barrel. I just don't think the 6.8 has the versatility of the 300, and since the brass alone is like .50 each.......... It's no wonder it's not taking off. If the military actually does adapt it, then, well, you never know, but until then, I don't think the comparison has any validity.

Maddog5150
06-17-2012, 6:54 PM
I see your point and its a very valid point that it may be cheap but everything you've said (aside from using 556 brass) has been said about the 6.8.
"The mil will be switching to it! It only takes a .270 bullet! Its extremely versitile!"
:shrug:
We'll wait and see. cartidges of the world book will show you page after page of rounds that should of made it and just fizzled out :o

FatalKitty
06-17-2012, 9:35 PM
I see your point and its a very valid point that it may be cheap but everything you've said (aside from using 556 brass) has been said about the 6.8.
"The mil will be switching to it! It only takes a .270 bullet! Its extremely versitile!"
:shrug:
We'll wait and see. cartidges of the world book will show you page after page of rounds that should of made it and just fizzled out :o

300blk was invented for one purpose. to have 5.56 characteristics while remaining subsonic. If you don't see a military application in that... well then I don't know what to tell you. If you don't understand the link between military adaptation of ammunition and it's availability/price in the civilian market... well then I don't know what to tell you.

I reload it myself with cut down 5.56 shells and have been extremely happy with the performance and price so far. I use a single stage press and work in batches.

Maddog5150
06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
300blk was invented for one purpose. to have 5.56 characteristics while remaining subsonic. If you don't see a military application in that... well then I don't know what to tell you. If you don't understand the link between military adaptation of ammunition and it's availability/price in the civilian market... well then I don't know what to tell you.

I reload it myself with cut down 5.56 shells and have been extremely happy with the performance and price so far. I use a single stage press and work in batches.

Reading comprehension much? I didnt say I didnt see an application for it, I repeated what oh so many people kept repeating in the past about former calibers. Anything else I can say for you to completely misread and regurgitate?

Will there be an LE and mil application? sure.
Now think that the amount SOCOM buys is going to keep it a foothold? Think that big mil is going to start handing that out to standard units and go away from NATO standards? right, thats totally going to happen and drive the price down, hell in two weeks we'll see surplus.

FatalKitty
06-18-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't know what you're problem is - everything I see you have posted lately is preaching your opinion as fact in every thread to pop up in.
I wasn't talking just to YOU. as you said, you were repeating the concerns of the general people regarding any new cartridge... I quoted you because you were the only one in the thread doing that. I said what I said because you specifically mentioned 6.8 (which lets face it... is a compromise of a round.) quite a different story than 300blk :)