PDA

View Full Version : Bain and Davis Gun Shop

bill_k_lopez
06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Just wanted to mention this little out of the way gun shop in San Gabriel.

I was looking for a gunsmith to do some work on one of my guns, and someone gave me their name. They have an online chat with a live person who told me bring the gun in, before I was able to get in the store a few days later I received an e-mail from their gunsmith giving me details about the work I was asking about and to bring the gun in for them to look at.

The store is small, they don't have a huge selection of guns, but they do have a fair amount of consignments and obviously must stock some weapons as I saw a man come in and buy a handgun that was on display, and the guy helping him came from the back with a NIB gun.

The people were by far the friendliest guys I have ever met in a gun store. Everyone had a smile, the customers who were there all seemed pleasant (including some "regulars" that I met while waiting). When I walked in there were only 2 guys working the counter, one giving a HSC test and SH demo, the other selling a handgun. Both customers were very gun green, but were treated with respect and given plenty of help. When it was my turn and I presented my gun, same treatment but was obviously recognized as a more experienced shooter and conversation level was appropriate (not talked down to or treated like a beginner).

As it turns out I left the gun for their smith to look at and have him call me - their plan was if its something they can fix they will and if not they will forward it to Ruger for me for cost of shipping.

I couldn't tell what their prices were like - they looked to be a little high - for example the handgun sold was a S&W 21a and the non negotiated (buyer didn't even attempt to bargain) was $279 - same gun was on sale at Turner's twice this year for $229 and a CalGuns special at $209.

Overall my experience was great.

jyo
06-17-2012, 4:24 PM
Bain & Davis has been one of the good stores for decades---support your local gun store or one day you won't find any!

2ndornone
06-17-2012, 4:31 PM
I've gone there for years. A great shop that deserves our patronage.

voiceofreason
06-17-2012, 4:56 PM
As many good experiences people have had with Bain & Davis, there are many people with bad ones as well.

den888
06-17-2012, 5:48 PM
When I lived in Southern California, many years ago, I took my Python to B&D as they were a Colt Warranty shop back then (not sure if they are now) for some warranty work.

From what I recall, they were very courteous and professional. Their firearm selection was not huge, but it seemed that they did a lot of repair work and gunsmithing.

In SGV area, Fowler's (Pasadena) was around back then, and so was Cheshire and Perez (in Monrovia), which was a S&W warranty shop. Oh, and Santa Anita Firing Range was in full swing. Oh, the memories. Glad to hear that Bain and Davis is still around.

prod39
06-17-2012, 6:55 PM
Bain and Davis are legend in So Cal.........Great People! A bit out of the way for me,
(Hunt. Bch.) But I have gone there for service and sales.
JB

The Gleam
06-17-2012, 7:06 PM
Just wanted to mention this little out of the way gun shop in San Gabriel.

Overall my experience was great.

I've been going there for nearly 15 years; always great service. Pete is a stand-up decent human being and earned his place in charge.

hcbr
06-17-2012, 8:24 PM
Done business with them a while back, bought a consigned gun there, great bunch of guys.

huggybear
06-17-2012, 9:02 PM
do they have any OLL yet? i bought my first gun from them and i always liked going there but its a little far for me now. They even helped me send my 870 to remington at no charge even though i didn't buy the shotgun from them.

bsg
06-18-2012, 12:45 AM
all my transactions at Bain and Davis have been smooth, with no hiccups or glitches. the staff have always treated me well, and i like the small shop atmosphere.

Bigyates
06-18-2012, 1:46 AM
I go there whenever I can and would rather use them for transfers than Turners for that area.

DisturbedAle
06-18-2012, 7:08 AM
I live very close to B&D and I have two very different impressions...

The first visit, I did not enjoy it at all. I was the only customer there and I still felt like I was talked down to as a beginner.

Three months later after I purchase a few rilfes/handguns, I stop by again since I have a new background and understanding, I was definitely treated better. I don't see myself ever going there unless I do PPT or need some quick ammo/accessories. As mentioned, prices are better elsewhere and I feel service is better elsewhere. Expertise here is probably amazing, but I am not at that level just yet...

Scout2Diesel
06-18-2012, 9:04 PM
Excellent gunsmith and worth the wait or travel.

Also known for the +1700-2300 fps .357/44 wildcat (http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w35744bd.html)... I need one.

kidrice
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I love Bain & Davis. Pete is a great guy and so are the others that work there. I have purchased a gun there, I have taken my guns there for work.

I highly recommend B&D for gunsmithing.

bill_k_lopez
07-06-2012, 8:29 PM
As many good experiences people have had with Bain & Davis, there are many people with bad ones as well.

So I wanted to post a follow-up to my original experience. I went back today to pick up my gun. B&D did the work, cost was only $49. Everything was going fine until I asked what would have made the barrel start twisting. One of the guys there says "because its a Ruger, you should have bought a Smith". Now I have no problem with someone having a preference for one firearms manufacturer over the other - but the implication that my Vaquero was a sub quality firearm kind of made me upset. The experience went downhill from there.

I brought in another gun for them to work on, its a project gun I started a while ago - a Llama extra - 9mm largo. Its not a high end gun, and it shoots funky ammo, and I thought it was a good gun to "work" on - the price was right because it was very rusty (from being wet) and it got me the opportunity to try duracoating - anyway - I open the locked case that I'm transporting it in (because I drive a Yukon, no trunk) and inside the case I have a loaded magazine - first thing one of the guys says "Are you a police officer? Because if you aren't you can go to jail for that - a loaded mag in the same container as the gun is considered a loaded gun". The other guy (who just told me my Ruger was no good) says "that's right you can go to jail for that" I told them that they were wrong - they insisted that I better go look it up (as if they can go look up where it says thats illegal). So I explain my story that the original extractor pin broke, and that I had purchased a 1911 9mm extractor pin, and tried to fit it, but that I couldn't get it to extract the rounds. I also had a new extractor pin and asked if they could do the work to fix it. I asked about how much and they quoted me a price but then (I assume) the gun smith makes a comment that he doesn't like to work on Llamas.

I'd say this visit wasn't as great as the last. The work they did was fine, no problems and I was happy with the price, but this time I wasn't too happy with the false information about transporting or the negative talk about my guns - I wouldn't expect my auto mechanic to tell me that the reason my alternator stopped working was because it was a Delco - or to tell me he doesn't like working on Honda's.

toby
07-06-2012, 8:42 PM
Just as soon as the AHOLE stated you should have bought a Smith and Wesson I would have promptly said or maybe I should have gone to another gun store.... AHOLE.. and walked out. Thanks for the heads up....Sad part is they are truly one of the last frontier gun stores.

MrExel17
07-06-2012, 8:49 PM
Good to know, might have to check out the shop!

secret.asian.man
07-07-2012, 7:40 AM
it's been around for 50ish years. i've been going there since i was 18. it's only 10 minutes away from my house. i'll be there this afternoon. (:

pokute
02-26-2014, 8:39 AM
Since this is a review thread about a gun shop I feel justified in bumping it.

I've been a customer of Bain and Davis for about three years. Before I found them, I TRIED to buy guns at three other gun shops in L.A., but the vibe and attitude at the other stores made it impossible for me to feel that I was being dealt with fairly and with the respect due a ready-to-spend customer.

My first purchase at B&D went "like butter". I bought an unfired King's Colt Super Target from Andy (now deceased), who was attentive and efficient. Since then I've purchased 7 more guns from Dave and Jeff (and the new young woman who is working there, who seems "at home" there already), and the transactions have always been letter perfect, and I've always felt that I've been treated very well.

Yes, they can be in a bantering mood, and might say something you disagree with about one or another model of gun (I own three 2012-2013 manufacture Rugers, and there is no question that they are "do it yourself" projects for home gunsmiths... Ruger ships a lot of garbage these days - Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way), but they are 100% open to hear your opinion and rebuttal if they say something you disagree with. You can have a good-natured argument at B&D... Try that at any other gun store and see what happens!

It's a small shop. I don't "bargain" with them because I don't expect a small shop to be able to "wheel and deal". Their prices for popular commodity class guns are slightly higher than at chain stores or zero-service LEO oriented stores. They often have many excellent consignment guns. BTW, they have made a huge effort to have primers and powder in stock all through the dry period.

I have not used their gunsmithing services.

See their Facebook page to find out what they are up to currently.

toby
02-26-2014, 8:44 AM
They are moving o San Gabriel blvd. OK shop but the owner is not so cool.

drdanno84
02-26-2014, 10:26 AM
I have used their gunsmithing services on several occasions and also done some PPT's. Pete is an experienced gunsmith and does quality work. I had some sights changed on a sig 229, expected to leave the gun, Pete was able to do it within 20 minutes while I waited. They don't have a large selection of firearms, but can pretty much order anything you want.

r8dr rider
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Nice little LGS. Too bad they jumped on the "let's charge an arm and leg for interstate transfers" band wagon.

navin r
02-26-2014, 3:06 PM
I've used Bain & Davis for several gunsmithing issues and they've been great every time, very reasonable and fast enough service. They've been great with me.

bodger
02-26-2014, 3:13 PM
I hope someone has educated them on transport laws.

Icypu
02-26-2014, 3:20 PM
I like to go to Bain and Davis as they always have good service. However I've had two different experiences with gunsmithing there.

One time I brought in a CZ-40B for changing the trigger to a short reach trigger from the original. They did a great job installing it and I remember the price was reasonable. Before accepting it I tested the DA reset and the trigger wasn't resetting so I left it for them to fix. Pete ended up polishing the trigger bar and magazine so it wouldn't touch. Good service.

More recently I had a 1911 slide needing a reverse plug reamed. Another gunsmith took this job, and 2 weeks later called me up. When I came in, he told me that he didn't have the reaming tool and couldn't do the job because it was uncommon. This was actually the 2nd gunshop that held my gun for 2 weeks before telling me they couldn't do the job.

So if you want to buy a new gun and have great advice, I'd go to Bain and Davis. If I had to get an armorer type service with replacement parts I'd refer to them. Anything too tricky or in my case custom 1911, they would refer you to another place that could do it. All in all a good experience and typical of a small business.

Tanner68
02-26-2014, 3:27 PM
Have used their gunsmith services twice. Great service and prices both times.

The Gleam
02-26-2014, 3:29 PM
They are moving to San Gabriel blvd.

Have an address?

I was there in October, but haven't been there since. However I always try to stop in when I'm out that way. They occasionally get in an obsure C&R pistol, rare part, or odd obsolete box of ammo every now and then, and I have bought some real gems there.

Ricky-Ray
02-26-2014, 3:33 PM
Went there once about 10 years ago. Got screwed over on a supposed drill and tap. Swore never going back again.

fredridge
02-26-2014, 4:32 PM
small, but nice shop and nice guys for the most part. I got into shooting a couple years ago and I was planning on making them my go to gun shop.

I bought a handgun from them. Had a great purchase experience and when I had problems they were very helpful. Their prices are decent and good service so I planned on buying all my guns through them, until I had an annoying experience.

When I took my handgun in for repair the second time I knew I was getting rid of it and looked at a couple other guns. About a week and a half later they were having a sale so I figured it would be a good time to get the gun I wanted.

In the process I decided to sell another gun to help pay for the gun I wanted. So I told the buyer to meet me there and we would do the ppt, having in mind I could turn around and buy the gun I wanted.

I showed up around 4:50 on a Saturday - they close at 6pm. I walked in and the place was empty - the two guys working were hanging out talking, nothing else was going on.

Asked right away how they could help, I said I was there to do a ppt. They quickly responded that it was too late and they don't do they after 5pm (buyer wasn't there yet).

I said ok, walked out, called the buyer and we met somewhere else.

After that I decided to buy the gun I wanted used - in fact, since then I am not really feeling any loyalty to a particular gun store. If I get good customer service I am willing to pay extra for it. If not, I will buy used or go wherever is best.

I have bought 3 guns since that experience last year - none of them from B&D, all because they wouldn't do a ppt when the place was empty.

toby
02-26-2014, 5:25 PM
Have an address?

I was there in October, but haven't been there since. However I always try to stop in when I'm out that way. They occasionally get in an obsure C&R pistol, rare part, or odd obsolete box of ammo every now and then, and I have bought some real gems there.

If I'm not mistaken the new store is at the corner of Valley and San Gabriel or maybe one street up on SG. I went by on the way to San Gabriel nursery to pick up a tree and saw the Banner it reads, Future home of Bain and Davis gun shop. My old Gun smith worked there for a short time after closing his shop in Downey.

Ricky-Ray
02-26-2014, 6:14 PM
San Gabriel an Broadway. Give or take a block.

Wrangler John
02-27-2014, 4:46 AM
Back sometime around the late 1970's I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357 Magnum / 9mm Luger. I had just started shooting IHMSA Silhouette competition, and for the hell of it sent the 9mm cylinder to Bain & Davis to be converted to .357/44 Bain & Davis. It was an easy decision as the 9mm Luger is about as useful as a using a neck tourniquet to stop a bleeding razor nick.

Bain & Davis turned the cylinder around in about two weeks. The die set from RCBS took a bit longer, but I was soon forming and loading the cases. The quality of Bain & Davis' work was superb, the chambers were identical and functioned normally. Problem was that of any bottle necked case in a revolver, set back with near maximum loads which made cocking difficult and in some cases jammed the cylinder. With the larger surface area of the parent .44 Magnum case I thought that case stiction to the chamber walls would prevent the problem, but no. The other problem was sticky extraction as the wedging effect of the shoulder and any chamber contamination from powder residue made for difficult extraction. The other problem was that the neck was only 0.150" long, not much to retain a bullet under recoil, so a goodly crimp was needed. The best loads were well under maximum, mostly negating the purpose of the cartridge, so the Blackhawk was placed in the safe for 25 years until it went off to be converted into a five shot .480 Ruger.

While the cartridge was chambered in many Contenders, it just didn't make sense for metallic silhouette in light of the .30 and .357 Herrett wildcats, or the standard .30-30 in 10" and 15" barrels. All were more accurate and powerful, and finally even they were replaced by the 7mm TCU. The .357-44 Bain & Davis like all wildcats, are designed to fill a particular niche, while scratching an itch for something experimental and unique. In that regard it was a success, but newer developments took us on another direction of big bore hand cannons using straight walled cases, such as the .357 Maximum and the .454 Casull, while the bottle necked revolver cartridge faded away. It's still a good choice for a Contender or Encore chambering for those wanting to tinker and explore.

The .pdf file is a copy of Hornady's historical discussion of the .357-44 Bain & Davis and loading data.

40calibre
02-27-2014, 4:55 AM
Yeap it will be on San Gabriel and Broadway. Keep this on the downlow since I want to be the first, but they will most likely be licensed to cherakote as well in their new building. Baked cherakote too.

Their old building is being torn down due to a new hotel being built in its place

They also said April will be the new store opening. Also they said there are electrical issues in the new store and if it isn't fixed in time they could go bankrupt.

Mail Clerk
02-27-2014, 6:25 AM
Gee wiz that's brings back allot of memories. One of the last mom and pop gun stores ever! I admit I haven't been back there in over 15 years or since I last saw Red the head gunsmith. So what happened to the lady owner?

Mail Clerk