View Full Version : SGL 21-61 - Thank You and Help Request (Pics)

Green Is BS
06-17-2012, 7:17 AM
I've had my fully upgraded Rifle Dynamics SGL 21-61 for about 600 rnds. I want to thank everyone on the forum for posting. The forum's been a powerful tool and I used the advice and comments from CalGuns to chose the ammo I'd run, the rifle, it's builder, and the range (Cabot, Castro Valley) I go to. Special thanks to Nutnfancy for making videos. Booooo on Diablo Valley guns (or whatever your new name is) for calling my gun a Commie's gun.

I'm not a long time gun owner. The 7.62 was my first purchase. Then I researched a Mossberg 590a1 via these forums. Thanks for that too. Got my SHTF and CQC. I'm considering a Ruger 22/45 LITE for a fun rimfire pistol but then I'd never get to upgrade it because California gun laws are bonkers. Booo AB962.

I haven't shot a weapon since I was 16 and am 33 now. After three times at the range for about 200 rounds each trip I can shoot a fist size grouping of 15 or so rounds at 200 yards with iron sights. Unfortunately, every time its down and to the right because I've yet to figure out how to adjust the sight. A lot of old timers have told me to get good with iron sights first. I say this not knowing if my accuracy is good or not, but I feel good about it knowing I have little experience. I'd really like to learn how to shoot better and get rated. I'll be moving to Davis in July and am looking forward to a $5 fee for the Yolo range versus $14 at Cabot.

Does anyone have advice on how I can improve my knowledge as a shooter and get rated with my SGL 21-61? Where can I read about being a better shooter? I read about the Apple Seed program at Cabot and was curious if anyone has attended?

I continue to do my research on these forums but I figured I'd post rather than always just read. Again, thank you for posting.

06-17-2012, 3:53 PM
Fist sized group at 200yds with irons? Pix pls

Green Is BS
06-17-2012, 4:03 PM
Just to be clear I consider a grouping to be 6 rounds, is that correct? Next time I go to the range I'll take pictures.

Yay.. I'm thinking my claim was too big. I'm not here to talk about what I shot one day. I got lucky. All I'd like to know is who can help make me better? I should have been far more humble for a first post. I've bought a custom rifle for a reason. I want to shoot well.

Can you recommend anyone? Is there a good program? Are you familiar with Apple Seed?

06-17-2012, 4:15 PM
do you take the shotgun to the range with the bayonet attached?

06-17-2012, 4:26 PM
Just to be clear I consider a grouping to be 6 rounds, is that correct? Next time I go to the range I'll take pictures.

5 plus is good. Unless you have FREAKISHLY large hands a fist sized group at 100yds with irons for an AK is pretty damn damn good.

You need a special tool to adjust windage on the irons.
like this one

06-17-2012, 4:30 PM
#1 tip:
Stop watching Nutnfancy.

06-17-2012, 4:45 PM
#1 tip:
Stop watching Nutnfancy.

Green Is BS
06-17-2012, 4:53 PM
Whatever. That ultra hooah civi crap is hilarious. He does a good close up review on many weapons.

Here's my sight.

Where can I learn to shoot better in the Davis/Sacramento area?

06-17-2012, 5:00 PM
Yeah, skip Nutn, check out Sturm on MillitaryArmsCh on youtube, much better.