PDA

View Full Version : SKS Catastrophic Failure.. Suggestions Please...

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 6:45 PM
Hello all,

We spent an exceedingly pleasant day out in the desert shooting today, but I had a major issue with my Chinese SKS rifle.

Background: Never fired, Chinese SKS rifle all matching numbers in MINT condition bought earlier this year. I completely disassembled it and removed all cosmo from the rifle. The bolt was also disassembled and the firing pin and channel thoroughly cleaned.

I fired about 50 flawless rounds through it and the rifle was a champ. Sweet trigger and dead on accurate at 50-75 yard targets. Ammo was Wolf and Tula steel case non-corrosive.

I loaded up some Tula and a round fired but did not eject. There was also a lot of smoke coming out of the bolt. I tried to retract the bolt and it was frozen in the closed position.

After several tries I got it back part way and saw the expended case but it wouldn't eject or fully retract.

I removed the top cover and was able to remove the bolt after removing the recoil spring/rod.

The firing pin was completely out of the bolt and loose in the receiver! It was also noticeably bent and flattened at the tip. The spent shell primer was punched through.

The bolt appears to be OK but the firing pin is wasted. I reassembled the rifle without the firing pin and it function checked OK (Minus the firing pin)

Questions:

How does this happen?

Should a Murray's drop in firing pin get my rifle back in shooting condition?

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

PICS:

Thanks for reading!

Mossy Man
06-16-2012, 6:57 PM
Did it fire out of battery?

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 7:04 PM
Did it fire out of battery?

I don't think so. The failure was about mid-magazine and the weapon cycled normally just prior to the failure. It wasn't a slam fire or accidental discharge.

artoaster
06-16-2012, 7:08 PM
Crap ammo.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 7:12 PM
Crap ammo.

I suppose that is possible, although I shot hundreds of rounds of the same ammo through a Yugo SKS and Saiga throughout the day with no malfunctions whatsoever.

It has always been my understanding that Wolf and Tula was pretty good stuff. I've put thousands through my AK's throughout the years without problems.

Kinsel83
06-16-2012, 7:30 PM
Was the bolt correctly installed after cleaning? Did you take it apart when you cleaned the cosmo? Also those firing pins are really made to shoot that hard primer surplus stuff.

If you are going to shoot the NC ammo, get the Murrays FP.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 7:41 PM
Was the bolt correctly installed after cleaning? Did you take it apart when you cleaned the cosmo? Also those firing pins are really made to shoot that hard primer surplus stuff.

If you are going to shoot the NC ammo, get the Murrays FP.

The bolt was installed correctly and it functioned normally for a while. I'll definitely be investing with Murray.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

gotshotgun?
06-16-2012, 7:44 PM
Looks to me like the primer was punctured. Thus the over pressure on the firing pin. This could have been a defective primer or the firing pin was coming out of the bolt too far.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 7:59 PM
Looks to me like the primer was punctured. Thus the over pressure on the firing pin. This could have been a defective primer or the firing pin was coming out of the bolt too far.

Yes, everything is pointing at the ammo as the culprit. I think the firing pin was blown back and out of the bolt completely to the rear. Miraculously the bolt assembly does not appear to be damaged.

gotshotgun?
06-16-2012, 8:04 PM
One tough gun!

russ69
06-16-2012, 8:39 PM
The primer was pierced. The usual suspects would be the firing pin protrusion/tip shape with a failure on a factory load.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 9:34 PM
Well I found my answer. Thanks to all who pitched in to the discussion.

http://www.murraysguns.com/poppedprimers.htm

kendog4570
06-16-2012, 9:43 PM
Murrays is top notch. Straight up guy and knows the SKS.

That's not a catastrophic failure.

This is...

Same cartrige

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/kendog4570/Mini%20Mauser%20Blow%20Up/MiniMauser28July2008019.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/kendog4570/Mini%20Mauser%20Blow%20Up/MiniMauser28July2008012.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/kendog4570/Mini%20Mauser%20Blow%20Up/MiniMauserWreck043.jpg

6mmintl
06-17-2012, 7:40 PM
wow, Kenndog, who's rifle was that? that is a catastophic failure alright.

What load did that?

The SKS is not a catastophic failure, a slam fire due to stuck firing pin for sure, just an overworked tired/fatiqued/bent firing pin with improper lubrication, mine did the same thing, just replace the firing pin, rear of bolt lock surface looks good, need to see a pic of lon=cking block in receiver.

kendog4570
06-17-2012, 8:19 PM
wow, Kenndog, who's rifle was that? that is a catastophic failure alright.

What load did that?

The SKS is not a catastophic failure, a slam fire due to stuck firing pin for sure, just an overworked tired/fatiqued/bent firing pin with improper lubrication, mine did the same thing, just replace the firing pin, rear of bolt lock surface looks good, need to see a pic of lon=cking block in receiver.

23.4 grains of AA 7. Was supposed to be Alliant Reloder 7. Read your powder cans, people! Double check your load data! This was done by an individual with more than 30 years advanced reloading experience.
It can happen to anyone.

By the way, I would still shoot his reloads any time. Sh*t happens. Gun blew up, no big deal. Shooter (my 14 year old son) was wearing safety glasses (after a big moan and groan session about not wanting to look "dorky") . Saved the day. (and maybe an eye)

Before the match began I took the rangemaster aside and asked him to land on him pretty hard about the glasses. He did. 10 minutes later the gun let go.

Everybody involved learned an important lesson that day.

Bobby Ricigliano
06-27-2012, 6:49 PM
I already got the bolt carrier back from Mr. Murray with the spring loaded firing pin installed and the bolt face smoothed out. Total turn around time was less than one week. What a first rate company... they will be getting more of my business.

zachseaman
06-27-2012, 7:41 PM
i had one of those murrays spring loaded firing pins in my old yugo and after about 340 rounds the spring broke inside the bolt. it took me alllllll night to scrape out all the little parts in there(they were stuffed in there GOOD). i was shooting yugo surplus. if i were you, id just get a replacement firing pin. then again maybe it was just a freak accident

Bobby Ricigliano
06-27-2012, 8:12 PM
i had one of those murrays spring loaded firing pins in my old yugo and after about 340 rounds the spring broke inside the bolt. it took me alllllll night to scrape out all the little parts in there(they were stuffed in there GOOD). i was shooting yugo surplus. if i were you, id just get a replacement firing pin. then again maybe it was just a freak accident

That sucks, I hope it was a freak accident, because the product seems to have a loyal following. In the unlikely event that happened I would just send the bolt carrier and spring back to them to fix it.

Travis590A1
06-27-2012, 8:16 PM
Tula is a no no for me. My Ak eats it up but it punches primers all the time. (Only with tula)

Bobby Ricigliano
06-27-2012, 8:19 PM
Tula is a no no for me. My Ak eats it up but it punches primers all the time. (Only with tula)

That seems to be the consensus, that Tula sucks. I wish I'd known that before I bought 500 rounds of it.

bohoki
06-27-2012, 8:46 PM
i prefer barnaul

Travis590A1
06-27-2012, 9:40 PM
Well tula is hit and miss. Some swear by it, others hate it. I've had nothing but issues with their ammo (pistol and rifle calibers) as well as many different firearms. My conclusion is id rather pay a buck or 2 more for the peace of mind.

ClarenceBoddicker
06-27-2012, 9:41 PM
Guns like AK's & SKS's with free floating firing pins are designed to use ammo with hard military spec primers. SKS's seem to have more issues with slam fires than AK's. Keng's Firearms in GA, who was the original importers of the Polytech Legends, sold kits to upgrade bolts with a spring loaded firing pin. This was back in the 1990's. There was even an attempt at a class action lawsuit about SKS's with firing pin issues, around the same time. My milled Chinese SKS & all my AK's/MAK's never had any ammo issues when using mil surplus ammo. Never used commercial ammo as it was hard to find & pricey.

Travis590A1
06-28-2012, 12:02 AM
The new manufactured tula is not military surplus, they are non corrosive and don't use the same materials as they did in past years. Which is why some people say their quality is lacking as of late.

bohoki
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
looks like a new firing pin is all you need try to find one from a reputable source did you by any chance get a new hammer spring cause i've not seen the back of the firing pin get that bad with the standard spring

at least the murray's has a bigger butt end

JON KARGATHALON
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Dang thats just gnarly