PDA

View Full Version : Aside from the actual gun is illegal?

Kappy
06-16-2012, 1:33 PM
I ran into a thread where it mentioned that a particular scope with what I think was night vision was illegal. I had no idea that any equipment aside from the actual gun was illegal.

So what other gun accessories should I be aware of? I'm not talking about behaviors, either, like shooting in city limits or whatever... just ownership.

huntercf
06-16-2012, 1:37 PM
Do a search, someone had posted some good info on scopes and what are ok and no-no's. There are certain attachments to certain guns that trigger AW laws unless you have a BB. I believe master keys are also illegal along with many of the launchers. Plus, the whole thing about flash hiders vs. muzzle breaks.

roushstage2
06-16-2012, 1:45 PM
Flash hiders and muzzle brakes have to do with featured and featureless (BB-free) rifles.

Merc1138
06-16-2012, 1:45 PM
Read the info in the thread that I provided about the optic. It's not the fact that it's a nightvision scope that made it a problem, it's the built in illuminator that's the problem. Any NV optic without an illuminator(laser, flashlight, IR light, etc.) on the gun would be fine.

For everything else, federal 922(r), the CA AW laws(covered in the flowcharts), federal NFA, CA dangerous weapons and destructive devices, and that's most of it. Unless you're talking about hunting, and that opens up a different can of worms with CA department of fish and game, depends on what you're shooting, where you're shooting, when you're shooting, etc.

RickD427
06-16-2012, 1:49 PM
I ran into a thread where it mentioned that a particular scope with what I think was night vision was illegal. I had no idea that any equipment aside from the actual gun was illegal.

So what other gun accessories should I be aware of? I'm not talking about behaviors, either, like shooting in city limits or whatever... just ownership.

I think this is what you're referring to:

California Penal Code Section 468

"Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of,
conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a
misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars
($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one
year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device
or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm
which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and
electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually
determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime.
This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession
of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United
States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement
officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the
enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the
use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for
scientific research or educational purposes."

SocomM4
06-16-2012, 2:02 PM
Now Im even more stoked I got the 512a65 . What the hell made this illegal?? Some lame lawmaking .

Chaos47
06-16-2012, 2:08 PM
So what other gun accessories should I be aware of?

Slidefire stocks
Multi burst trigger activators
Tannerite
Magmagnets on a magazine locked rifle
Features on a featureless rifle
Plus 10 magazines in a magazine locked rifle

duc748bip
06-16-2012, 2:33 PM
How about a scope with build in ir laser range finder which help determin target distance at night ime?

Jeepers
06-16-2012, 2:43 PM
night vison scope are legal in CA, just cant use a I.R. illumination mounted with the scope .. no offence but you have a lot of reading to do.. no one including CADOJ could give a list you are asking on what is legal or illegal and asking here in a public forum wont get you 100% correct answers either ....

Kappy
06-17-2012, 12:21 AM
night vison scope are legal in CA, just cant use a I.R. illumination mounted with the scope .. no offence but you have a lot of reading to do.. no one including CADOJ could give a list you are asking on what is legal or illegal and asking here in a public forum wont get you 100% correct answers either ....

This is more about curiosity rather than me buying things. I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm not in the price range for an IR scope. The most expensive scope I own is around $150. Works well enough, mind you.

It came to my attention earlier today that various ammunition types are illegal. Lead rounds in areas which ban lead rounds, obviously, but armor piercing and tracers as well. I'm not sure if it's possession or firing. I'm glad steel core is still legal.

Librarian
06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
This is more about curiosity rather than me buying things. I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm not in the price range for an IR scope. The most expensive scope I own is around $150. Works well enough, mind you.

It came to my attention earlier today that various ammunition types are illegal. Lead rounds in areas which ban lead rounds, obviously, but armor piercing and tracers as well. I'm not sure if it's possession or firing. I'm glad steel core is still legal.

You may find the wiki article useful: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Ammunition_and_Black_Powder