PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun recommedations for my daughter

aghauler
06-16-2012, 1:26 PM
My daughter (new to shooting, but wants to do more!) wants a shotgun so she can go shooting with her hubbie. He inherited a Belgium Browning Light Auto 5 12ga from her grandfather. I'm not well versed in shotguns so looking for input. First my kid is 5'3" and is all of about 115lb soaking wet. On a brief trip through Scheels Reno 2 months ago we kind of thought "youth" length shotguns seemed to fit her best. I'm thinking this is what we'll be looking for.

Either Semi or Pump (recommendations for both)

20ga or lower

Something with easily exchangable barrels depending on what they want to do as far as shooting them. I'm familiar with the Mossberg 500 line.

Moderate price range also

Any places in Henderson, Las Vegas with knowledgeable staff, to go shopping for shotguns? We'll be down there late next week.

CK_32
06-16-2012, 1:40 PM
How old is she?

Assuming she's around teens or older I'd say 20 guage 500 or 870 should be good.

aghauler
06-16-2012, 2:11 PM
28 and in 4th year medical school. I keep telling her to hurry up and graduate so she can support me in my up comming retirement! :D

bjl333
06-16-2012, 2:18 PM
A Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 in a 20ga might work for her. I would definitely put a GOOD recoil pad on the gun and fitting the stock. At the very least have the angle trimmed for a woman.

Most 20ga autos are build on a smaller frame, so any recoil advantage would be wiped out by the light weight. That said, I would also recommand a Remington 1100 in a 12ga with a good recoil pad & stock mods.

A good recoil pad is a Kick-Ezz.

28 and in 4th year medical school. I keep telling her to hurry up and graduate so she can support me in my up comming retirement! :D

:thumbsup:

Newshooter
06-16-2012, 2:28 PM
I agree with above. Go for the auto. The pump, even in 20 gauge, will kick. My wife shoots a 12 ga Beretta auto all day long yet can't shoot an over/under 20 gauge because it beats her up. Beretta makes a really nice RL3901 Target shotgun but it is mainly a clay shooting gun. The regular 3901 with the stock fitted would work well too.

ysr_racer
06-16-2012, 4:12 PM
Rem 1100 20ga youth model

foxtrotuniformlima
06-16-2012, 4:19 PM
My 12 year old has shot both a 20ga Beretta 391 youth & an 1100 12ga with a youth stock. She liked the 1100 better. you can get 12ga shells that are very low recoil.

Ribkick
06-16-2012, 4:27 PM
I agree with above. Go for the auto. The pump, even in 20 gauge, will kick. My wife shoots a 12 ga Beretta auto all day long yet can't shoot an over/under 20 gauge because it beats her up. Beretta makes a really nice RL3901 Target shotgun but it is mainly a clay shooting gun. The regular 3901 with the stock fitted would work well too.

Rem 1100 20ga youth model

^^These^^

I have Beretta's in my autos and Remington 870's in my pumps. The Beretta's are a work of art and gentle. The 870's kick like my O/U's.

TZL
06-16-2012, 4:42 PM
What do you consider mid priced?

Beretta A400 Xtreme $1500
Remington Versamax $1200

Both are 12's that kick less than most 20's

not-fishing
06-16-2012, 4:58 PM
What do you consider mid priced?

Beretta A400 Xtreme $1500
Remington Versamax $1200

Both are 12's that kick less than most 20's

At those prices you might even look at a used 20 ga Browning Citori. My mother used one as her duck/pheasant gun when she was in her 40's.

The extra weight of the second barrel softens the recoil.

Jeepergeo
06-16-2012, 5:30 PM
An over/under is a great way to go. You can get a Stoeger Condor Supreme with two sets of barrels for a pretty fair price. If regular 12 ga presents a recoil problem, it won't matter if its an auto, o/u, or single shot. Address the kick with some light target loads. A 12 and 20 ga changeable barrel set gives you tons of one gun flexibility.

Ribkick
06-16-2012, 5:43 PM
If regular 12 ga presents a recoil problem, it won't matter if its an auto, o/u, or single shot. Address the kick with some light target loads. A 12 and 20 ga changeable barrel set gives you tons of one gun flexibility.

That's blatant FUD. An auto is much more gentle. I'm not going to go into the physics, you should know. If you don't, google it. I own many of all actions and the gas autos are gentle by comparison.

Your target load advice is good but I would expect if the OP's daughter is going to play the clay games, that's a given.

Thefeeder
06-16-2012, 5:59 PM
I would get to a range with rentals or firends with differant shotguns.

The shotgun for her is the one she likes, fits her and feels comfortable shooting for her.

Try many, buy once.....once means the one SHE likes.

Here is some info that may be useful in your quest

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

-hanko
06-16-2012, 6:15 PM

The shotgun for her is the one she likes, fits her and feels comfortable shooting for her.

Thefeeder, thanks for injecting a bit of fact into this thread.

OP, this might seem like a radical idea, but why don't you consider hooking your daughter up with an experienced coach/trainer...they'll have a selection of guns she can try and, more importantly, they should be able to fit the gun to your daughter...that's the most important step after selecting the gun.

A trainer actually working with here one-on-one is going to help her get her ideal weapon v. multiple opinions on a website from people (me included;)) who have zero idea of her build, etc.

hth and let us know what she likes.

-hanko

aghauler
06-16-2012, 6:55 PM
Wow! What a wealth of information and opinions and ideas in the replies to my question. Now all I have to do is "digest" it in 3 days. Thanks all for the replies and help! BB

BSlacker
06-16-2012, 7:08 PM
I don't believe that the model number or type is as important as the fit. When my wife got her shotgun my Dad who is the shotgun guy in the family took her to his guy to get the gun fitted. It made all the difference in her shooting desire and performance. Don't get less than a 20ga.
The gun was a used Remington 11-48 in 20ga. Don't tell her, but I bought a used full size stock and trade it out when the son and I shoot it. Swap it back before I return it to the safe. Ha Ha.:D

aghauler
06-16-2012, 7:10 PM
Thefeeder, thanks for injecting a bit of fact into this thread.

OP, this might seem like a radical idea, but why don't you consider hooking your daughter up with an experienced coach/trainer...they'll have a selection of guns she can try and, more importantly, they should be able to fit the gun to your daughter...that's the most important step after selecting the gun.

A trainer actually working with here one-on-one is going to help her get her ideal weapon v. multiple opinions on a website from people (me included;)) who have zero idea of her build, etc.

hth and let us know what she likes.

-hanko

An excellent idea and one I hadn't really thought about, yet! We'll only be in Henderson 4 days. The kid is studying for her 2nd level Board Exams, moving to a new condo ( the reason we're going there) and getting ready to go to Chicago for a Critical Care Clinical Rotation starting July 1. So we won't really have much time to get setup with any one. There is a Bass Pro store down there and we thought we might have a little time to run over just to check things out though. She got to heft a couple of shotguns at Scheels which peaked her interest, in Reno. Scheels pretty much allows free range on handling long guns. The long guns are on racks and on the walls, you don't have to wait your turn for the counter person like at Cabela's. Thanks for the idea!:)

CK_32
06-16-2012, 7:31 PM

Good info^^

Sheepdog1968
06-16-2012, 8:48 PM
Some of the local trap ranges will let you rent and try out various shotguns. Might be the way to go to see what she likes.

forgiven
06-17-2012, 2:07 AM
20ga auto, quite a few brands on the market. Need to hold to see for fit.

Jeepergeo
06-17-2012, 7:49 AM
That's blatant FUD. An auto is much more gentle. I'm not going to go into the physics, you should know. If you don't, google it. I own many of all actions and the gas autos are gentle by comparison.

Your target load advice is good but I would expect if the OP's daughter is going to play the clay games, that's a given.

We'll just disagree on this one. I prefer direct experience over PC conjecture from Google "facts".

My hands-on experience with many dozens of young shooters at Scout events/camps has been that if someone has trouble with regular 12 gauge loads, moving them from an o/u or pump platform to a semi-auto platform does not make sufficient difference in their perception of recoil. What has worked has been to go with lighter loads.

Most of our camps stick to one gauge, so we rarely have the option to change gauges. But we do have the option to change platform and type of shells....and a majority of the time, changing the shells does the job.

CSACANNONEER
06-17-2012, 7:56 AM
Proper fit is far more important than the difference between 20g and 12g. If you happen to end up finding a Berretta 391, I have a 20g youth stock for sale that my stepson used on my 12g.

TZL
06-17-2012, 1:52 PM
My experience differs greatly than yours then

870 pump vs beretta A400 xtreme couldn't be more different in recoil

Not one person has ever complained about the recoil on the beretta, from a 10 yr old to my sister

A good gas gun with recoil absorbing stock makes a world of difference

Yes a 7/8 oz load kicks less than a 3.5" steel goose load....but if you don't like standard 1 oz target loads in a pump, you are not going to like 7/8oz target loads in a pump either....

We'll just disagree on this one. I prefer direct experience over PC conjecture from Google "facts".

My hands-on experience with many dozens of young shooters at Scout events/camps has been that if someone has trouble with regular 12 gauge loads, moving them from an o/u or pump platform to a semi-auto platform does not make sufficient difference in their perception of recoil. What has worked has been to go with lighter loads.

Most of our camps stick to one gauge, so we rarely have the option to change gauges. But we do have the option to change platform and type of shells....and a majority of the time, changing the shells does the job.

kglover
06-18-2012, 8:03 AM
Like many other people have suggested, I would go with an autoloading shotgun. Being her first shotgun though, I feel like $1200 - $1500 is a little steep. I would definitely check out the Weatherby SA-08 Synthetic Youth. They are very well made shotguns that function flawlessly with any ammo that has been put throught it. My friend (basically the same height and weight as your daughter) has this gun and can carry it hunting and shoot it all day without any discomfort. In fact, this gun has impressed me so much that I am planning on getting my girlfriend this exact same one and myself the 12ga model to use when hunting in wet weather instead of my Rem 1100.

Check it out here--> http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/sa_08/sa08_sytheticyouth

WDE91
06-18-2012, 8:14 AM
autoloader 20gauge

I would check the classifieds to see if anything looks good

aghauler
06-18-2012, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the tip and link on the Weatherby, never even thought of them, I'll check that out.

Like many other people have suggested, I would go with an autoloading shotgun. Being her first shotgun though, I feel like $1200 - $1500 is a little steep. I would definitely check out the Weatherby SA-08 Synthetic Youth. They are very well made shotguns that function flawlessly with any ammo that has been put throught it. My friend (basically the same height and weight as your daughter) has this gun and can carry it hunting and shoot it all day without any discomfort. In fact, this gun has impressed me so much that I am planning on getting my girlfriend this exact same one and myself the 12ga model to use when hunting in wet weather instead of my Rem 1100.

Check it out here--> http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/sa_08/sa08_sytheticyouth

sanjosebmx
06-18-2012, 7:45 PM
my wife is small, the recoil isn't really a problem but the size of the gun is.. She has a hard time holding the gun, so we are looking to get her into a 20 g or a youth sized shotgun...

aghauler
06-19-2012, 2:50 PM
my wife is small, the recoil isn't really a problem but the size of the gun is.. She has a hard time holding the gun, so we are looking to get her into a 20 g or a youth sized shotgun...

My kid probably has the same issues as your wife as far as size goes and I think the 20ga and Youth sizes are definately worth a good look.

Go Navy
06-19-2012, 3:00 PM
Browning Silver in 20 gauge. Wonderful shotgun. There are several versions of it. I think you can get either 26 or 28 inch barrel. Interchangeable chokes. Just a great all around shotgun and comfortable to shoot.