PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Options (Optics)

Doc.Sil
06-16-2012, 1:01 PM
Hey guys,

ordered my lower the other day, as of now this is how the build is looking. (i'm looking for an all around rifle 0-350yrds

Spikes lower w/CTR stock 2.15 lbs
Noveske 16" recon upper 5 lbs
FUG VFG 0.25 lbs
Troy BUIS

W/o addons its looking to be abount 7.5 lbs

Optic Options (this is where i need help)

1. Aimpoint T/H-1 +3x Magnifier .7lbs

-I have heard a lot of people say the ER of the magnifier is terrible. Can someone give me their personal experience with this?

2. Acog (TA11H-G/TA31H-G). (14oz/10oz)

-This is really dependent on the eye relief. From what I understand, I think the TA11 sounds way more user friendly and better at short range. I could also eventually add on a 45 degree T-1 (that'd be way down the road)

3. I have thought about a variable scope, but I've all but written it off. I'd rather hold off on that for a NF on a 308 bolt action or something. Not sure if I want the NF 1-4x on my ar build.

Flashlight:

What do you guys recommend for this and how much does it weigh? Where do you like to mount it? I am a lefty.

I think that is all. Personal experience with anything above will be a huge help, thanks!!

mrc44
06-16-2012, 1:55 PM
I have a primary arms micro dot. It's like the aimpoint but only $100. I love it but i would get an aimpoint if I had 600 to drop. Microdot is the best, you wanna see further just get a magnifier

APOCALYPSE70
06-16-2012, 1:55 PM
EOtech

mrc44
06-16-2012, 1:56 PM
Check out Amazon for a streamlight protac or polytac as far as weapon light

Doc.Sil
06-16-2012, 2:08 PM
EOtech

i looked pretty extensively at eotech, but i think an aimpoint would be a better fit for me overall.

Josh3239
06-16-2012, 2:55 PM
ordered my lower the other day, as of now this is how the build is looking. (i'm looking for an all around rifle 0-350yrds

Spikes lower w/CTR stock 2.15 lbs
Noveske 16" recon upper 5 lbs
FUG VFG 0.25 lbs
Troy BUIS

Honestly, any AR should be capable of hitting targets at that distance, if not it is a messed up AR. It sounds like you aren't doing a benchrest so that particular set up should work excellent for the intented purpose.

Optic Options (this is where i need help)

-I have heard a lot of people say the ER of the magnifier is terrible. Can someone give me their personal experience with this?

Aimpoint is a well made, durable, reliable, red dot scope with a loooong battery life. The magnifier/aimpoint combo is unnecessary weight and expensive. And yes, eye relief for magnifier have a horrid reputation. The magnifier will come in handy for target ID, beyond that I feel it unnecessary. The Aimpoint is more than up to the task of hitting targets at 350 yards. Again, just my opinion but if you want magnification an aimpoint isn't for you. For your intended application it does seem the aimpoint is the best fit.

2. Acog (TA11H-G/TA31H-G). (14oz/10oz)

-This is really dependent on the eye relief. From what I understand, I think the TA11 sounds way more user friendly and better at short range. I could also eventually add on a 45 degree T-1 (that'd be way down the road)

I do really like ACOGs. The TA11s are excellent, if I am not mistaken they offer the longest eye relief of the commonly seen ACOG models. BAC allows shooting at close ranges with both eyes open. Tritium/fiber optics lasts for years and are always on. Glass is excellent as well. Everybody has their favorite models but I'd put money that over half the ACOG owners couldn't tell the difference between the 3.5x mag vs 3x mag or 3.5x mag vs 4x mag. If you really want magnification this is the scope for you.

3. I have thought about a variable scope, but I've all but written it off. I'd rather hold off on that for a NF on a 308 bolt action or something. Not sure if I want the NF 1-4x on my ar build.

Exactly as I feel. If I buy a really nice variable scope it is going on my 308. Besides at your stated distances that variable magnification will just be a luxury that you probably won't use much.

Flashlight:

What do you guys recommend for this and how much does it weigh? Where do you like to mount it? I am a lefty.

I am new to the flashlight but really into the Surefire. Particularly the G2ZX. The Inforce WML is worth looking it IMO.

SuperSet
06-16-2012, 3:40 PM
If you see yourself taking it to carbine course, get the AimPoint or EOTech. A magnifier is optional, although I like mine.
If you see yourself shooting any 3-gun with it, re-look at a good variable scope in the 1-4x or 1-6x range. I just bought a Bushnell 1-6X that I just reviewed on my YouTube channel and really digging it so far.
If you're mostly going to plink or benchrest from the public range, higher magnification like a 3-9X will suit your needs well.
Good luck, man.

ExtremeX
06-16-2012, 3:59 PM
1-4x or 1-6x variable are my absolute favorite optics for a AR. I have a Vortex PST and a SWFA SS on order.

My ACOG (TA31F) is probably one of the most simple optics ive ever used, zero maintenance, very durable, and the glass / optical clarity is probably the best ive ever used. Its the nicest optic I own from the clarity standpoint. With that said it comes with its own set of limitations...

I also like my ret dots, used to be a big Eotech fan, but now the only thing I would buy is an Aimpoint. After getting the 1-4x scope, I dont think Ive used my RDS optics in a while...

Lots of options.. you should get hands on and try some out and figure out what works best for you.

Doc.Sil
06-16-2012, 4:00 PM
thx Josh for the thorough reply. I think I am leaning acog atm bc i do want magnification and if the aimpoint mag is subpar i'd rather not spend the money.

What do you think of the red dot on a 45 degree mount? haha

superset, to be fair I will try to check out a 1-4x scope, i know the glass would be quality and versatile.

still, im leaning acog :)

whats an average flashlight weigh?

dinosauraphael
06-16-2012, 4:14 PM
i made the mistake of buying a eotech 512 before knowing what i really wanted, luckily i sold it and got a TA11, couldn't be happier ever! The glass is so clear that it makes you happy just by looking thru the acog.

tomd1584
06-16-2012, 5:02 PM
ACOG TA-45. clarity you'd expect from an ACOG, but with a usable eye relief (no joke) all the way from 3.6" (listed) to atleast 7-9". that extra .5 magnification makes targets just a little more clear, without affecting your FOV. Its one of their most underrated models, IMO.

Add a Larue mount and it weighs in @ just 7.92 oz.

Josh3239
06-16-2012, 5:10 PM
thx Josh for the thorough reply. I think I am leaning acog atm bc i do want magnification and if the aimpoint mag is subpar i'd rather not spend the money.

I don't know if subpar is the correct word, but it is what it is. It is just a magnifier that magnifies what your already aiming at. Honeslty, I had one and thought it was silly. I just feel that if you want magnification make the real step up. I've noticed this about myself and it may not be so for other shooters but I tend to get attached to one specific power, so running a magnifier/red dot combo, unless I really need that magnifier outta the way (in which case it is kind of "inconvenient") it tends to stay in front, and since it tends to stay in front why not just step up to a better magnification style optics. ACOGs aren't as fast as Aimpoints for close-in shooting but they are still more than capable. But at 350 yards, don't think you'll be handicapped with just a red dot. It is the painter not the paint brush.

What do you think of the red dot on a 45 degree mount? haha

Competition guys do that. For less money a couple company's now make 45 degree irons. I think the Army still issues piggy back mounted red dots on ACOG but you completely lose cheek weld. I played with the idea but the 5.56mm is fairly flat between 0-350 yards. There maybe be a little compensation you will make but overall its flat. If you get a 25 yard zero you should be pretty much on a 300 yards as well.

Outonthegrind
06-16-2012, 5:55 PM
Ive only had two different ARs so far but i tried a different optic on each one. On the first I went with the highly reccommended EOTech 522, the main reason was because It was my first AR and because I owned a NVG Monocular, I had this vision that I was going to be out shooting my AR at night frequently so I wanted a sight that would allow for it. At the time I sold the nigh vision device, I used the Night Vision function of the EOTech twice I believe. What turned out to be my favorite part about it was not the NVG compatibility but actually was just the speed in which I could aquire my targets and eliminate them. Having the circle around the red dot really helps your eye find the target, especially when hitting the target is critical but where isn't the concern..basicly for speed type shooting or tactical/SD type training. It was my first real experience with a Holographic sight and I still have it to this day. When I bought my LMT carbine back about 4 years ago I got a good deal on a new but boxless Aimpoint CompM4. The Aimpoint was really accurate but seemed to take a little longer to aquire sight picture. It was definitely much heavier although that didnt really bother me much, the battery was a single double A and they had two models, one with the battery at the top and one a the bottom to the right of the mount (mine). The aimpoint reticle was just a traditional red dot sight, nothin fancy, not as busy as the EOTech. It wasn't quite as bright but if that dot was on the target when you pull the trigger under 300 yards, it was a kill..plain and simple. Also the Aimpoint compM4 would stay on target and reaquire targer between shots a little better imo. The aimpoint had a better battery life also, probably about 2.5 to 1 from my personal experience although they supported a battery life that was reasonable to me so no complaints there really for either.
Overall these two optic choices are both top notch for the money as I basically paid about the same for each one although the Aimpoint compM4 retails for about 700 bucks where the EOTech is about 4 I believe. I paid 375 for my EOTech and 425 for my Aimpoint compM4 although it was new it was an "Open Box" deal but still has the same warrenty and registration options and all that. If you are doing more tactical shooting and dispatching multiple targets quickly such as running tactical shooting drills or CQB type scenarios. I think the AP compM4 gives you a little bit more precision but at the cost of taking an extra split second to get on target..although you'll remain on target once its aquired. Im sure some of the bro's on here will give ya the rundown on some of the other popular options (vortex, NF, etc..) and probably another couple reviews of the sights I had and from that you should be able to make a good purchase that will serve you well..Hope this helps, Good Luck and enjoy

Outonthegrind
06-16-2012, 5:58 PM
By the way, If I could've afforded a true Trijicon ACOG I would've went that route...still haven't owned one but theres a reason our infantry soldiers are outfitted with them in all purpose combat situations;

clutchy
06-16-2012, 5:59 PM
Have you considered some type of 1-4 illuminated scope? It's pretty versatile. I don't consider Acogs versatile and a red dot is ok to about 200 ... Maybe.

Maybe a 2-8 or 3-9?

ExtremeX
06-16-2012, 6:50 PM
ACOG TA-45. clarity you'd expect from an ACOG, but with a usable eye relief (no joke) all the way from 3.6" (listed) to atleast 7-9". that extra .5 magnification makes targets just a little more clear, without affecting your FOV. Its one of their most underrated models, IMO.

Add a Larue mount and it weighs in @ just 7.92 oz.

I agree, the TA45 doesn't get much love... I never saw one until I went to Rifle Gear and was able to check one out and that thing was pretty sweet.

I just love the simplicity and quality of the ACOG. I don't use mine much anymore since the 1-4x scopes fit my shooting style better, but I still cant get myself to sell it.

Its nice having the Larue mounts if you have multiple optics for the same rifle to switch it up on my range trips.

m03
06-16-2012, 7:10 PM

I think you're forgetting to factor the weight of the mount(s). I know that a PA Micro dot + ADM mount + Aimpoint 3x magnifier + Larue mount combo weighs in at around 1 lbs. 1 oz. The same setup with a T1 or H1 should only be about 1oz. lighter than that.

I have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier and I don't find the eye relief to be that bad, personally. For comparison, a 4x ACOG will have even shorter eye relief than the Aimpoint magnifier.

Doc.Sil
06-16-2012, 8:05 PM
Thx everyone for your input. I'm going to look at a nf 1-4 and an acog. I am leaning acog BC on the variable scope I will probably always be at 4x anyway and I don't have any experience with scopes and don't really have the time to learn.

If anyone wants to give me insight I'll still be checking this so feel free. Thx to those especially with the meaty posts I did read all of them and they were helpful

sigstroker
06-17-2012, 2:31 AM
I tried using a 2.75x scope at a 3 gun match years ago. It was the lowest mag scope I had. It was completely useless at close-in targets. A 4x should be even worse. A lot of the ones the military uses that I've seen in pictures are mounted on a carry handle, and the irons are still usable with a see-through mount. I'm not sure how practical an ACOG would be if it were the only sighting device.

What about the Burris magnifier? Are they worse/better than the Aimpoint? With a pivot mount you could get the magnifier out of the way quickly for close targets.

whoawhoawhoa
06-17-2012, 12:30 PM
have you considered a vx-6 1-6X scope yet? it is in the price range of your other listed options

whoawhoawhoa
06-17-2012, 12:34 PM
also, the 45 degree irons are actually really nice and feel natural when sighting

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 9:41 PM
Consider Vortex VMX3 for your magnifier? Cheap (around $100), well-reviewed, specifications claim better eye relief than the Eotech G33 magnifier or the Aimpoint magnifier. With a VMX3 you can take the savings and spring for a really nice Larue LT755 mount for the magnifier. I'm getting one soon - I'll post a review when I do.

Doc.Sil
06-21-2012, 8:51 PM
actually i came across a meopta zd 1-4x scope. anyone have hands on experience with this? seems like a budget version of the SD, but still with great reviews

Munny$hot
06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Aimpoint H1 or T1 and a Shure Fire 6pl led. You want a light to have a forward and aft spring for recoil shock. This set up is ideal for ultra long battery life, weight savings, and can take a ton of abuse. If you ever dropped your rig down the side of a hill or it fell out of a moving car and got run over your first throuht will be "dang it now I have to go get it" vs "I hope everything still works".

Doc.Sil
06-22-2012, 10:30 AM
"dang it now I have to go get it" vs "I hope everything still works".

haha well said

SuperSet
06-22-2012, 10:35 AM
That Meopta is an excellent scope and you see them quite a bit in 3-gun. It has a daylight bright reticule so you can shoot it like an RDS. I havent seen them in classes since the battery life is short, like most 1-4x scopes. You'll have to define what you want to do with your rifle.

pinoy916
06-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Leupold HAMR