PDA

View Full Version : Who has .22LR upper on AR15, OR buy .22LR Rifle ?

.40Cal
06-16-2012, 2:23 AM
Hey guys,

I wanna get a .22LR so I can visit the range more often. After paying for the range fee, ammo prices usually limit the range sessions. To over come this (and to get more trigger pactice and FUN), I've decided to get a .22LR rifle. I'm considering getting a CMMG - 22 upper, and slap it on my Spikes Tactical AR15. OR I could just buy a Ruger 10/22 or CZ 452 (or the new CZ American).

CZ 's are probably the most accurate shooters among the group, but they are bold action rifles. I will have more fun, and shoot accurate, and make the ammo last long with these.

However, a 10/22 being a semi-auto and competition ready can also be fun.

I like the idea of buying an AR 22 upper, but not sure how well it will shoot compared to the others....(CZ, Rugers, etc).

What do you suggest, and why?

Thanks in Advance! :)

roushstage2
06-16-2012, 2:38 AM
M&P 15-22. Cheaper than a .22LR upper, and you get the whole rifle with a warranty. You don't have to switch uppers out whenever you want to shoot one caliber or the other.

TZL
06-16-2012, 5:08 AM
A stock 10/22 is not "competition ready"

You'll need to dump a couple hindered into it

Stock, barrel, trigger job at minimum

But everyone should own one, great gun

Or if you want tacticool, get a 22lr ar15 copy or gsg-5 mp5 copy

Great fun for $400-500

loosewreck
06-16-2012, 6:49 AM
I first went with a CMMG drop-in .22lr conversion bolt (old model). I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy and the missing functions, mainly the bolt not holding open after last round. After doing lots of research I wound up picking up a S&W 15/22, I've been very please ever since.

However, in all fairness, I have to say the 15/22 is not as accurate as a dedicated upper or CZ 452 can be, so if precision target shooting is how you plan on shooting you might want to consider the other options. Also the new CMMG conversions and uppers now have a BHOA (bolt hold open adapter), from what I've read it works well after a little tinkering.

BTW, the CZ452 is something I'm planing on picking up in the future.

wiki wiki
06-16-2012, 6:49 AM
I bought a CMMG dedicated upper, it's now my favorite .22 to shoot. If you get it through Shadow 65 you'll get a great deal as well. I like it so much I've sold off the other .22s I had ( Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60, Remington 541 and 552 and a Sig 522 )
The only rifles which were more accurate than the CMMG was the Marlin 60 and the bolt action Remington 541, but neither were as much fun and the 60 was ammo sensitive.
The CMMG to date has been utterly reliable in operation. It costs more going that route than buying a lot of the other .22s, but I have no regrets other than I wish I did it sooner.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
06-16-2012, 6:55 AM
I would suggest a 10/22 if costs are a concern. I have gone the AR22lr route and it was a pricey one. I couldn't leave well enough alone and had to upgrade a few parts though. PM me if you want some specs on my baby bear black rifle. Good luck on your decision :-)

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2012, 7:03 AM
I have a CZ AR upper and a Bushmaster Carbon22 upper along with about 20 or 30 other .22 rifles. They each have thier place depending on the application. For recreational range plinking, you can't go wrong with almost any old traditional rifle found on a used rack at any decent shop. I have a few old Mossbergs that shoot as well as my Anshultz. Just go find the rifle that'll suit your needs and fits you right.

ejhc11
06-16-2012, 7:14 AM
I bought a CMMG dedicated upper, it's now my favorite .22 to shoot. If you get it through Shadow 65 you'll get a great deal as well. I like it so much I've sold off the other .22s I had ( Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60, Remington 541 and 552 and a Sig 522 )
The only rifles which were more accurate than the CMMG was the Marlin 60 and the bolt action Remington 541, but neither were as much fun and the 60 was ammo sensitive.
The CMMG to date has been utterly reliable in operation. It costs more going that route than buying a lot of the other .22s, but I have no regrets other than I wish I did it sooner.

+1
It is also my favorite rifle to shoot outdoor and indoor, I recently had two, sold my upper to another Calgunner but not because I didn't like. I shoot more and better because I do it more often w/the extra practice.

Yes, it costs more then a normal 22LR rifle but no other AR rimfire copy can duplicate its operation closest to an AR15. Thats why a CMMG rimfire upper costs as much as a real AR15, it is built like one! You strip it down like an AR15.

Do check with our Calgunner, for a good deal on one: Shadow65

Oh, CMMG uppers have a lifetime warranty and have been reliable and accurate.

I enjoyed my so much I invested an Eotech for it.
CMMG rimfire uppers on AR lowers
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/AR15/ARRimfire.jpg

Munny$hot
06-16-2012, 7:17 AM
For general fun with .25 to .50 cent accuracy at 25 yards using bulk federal ammo I would recommend contacting Dave (shadow65) and getting a drop in conversion with bolt hold open device. If you go with Black Dog mags the bolt will hold open on the last round by the follower, so it not the same as by the mag. For shooting dime size accuracy at 25 yards using bulk federal ammo buy a CZ452, but you have to bed the action and a YO Dave trigger kit for the lightest possible trigger. As mentioned before a 10/22 will need a barrel, trigger, free float, bedding to be almost as accurate as the CZ. Stock out of the box (1) CZ (2) CMMG bolt kit (3) 10/22

gant
06-16-2012, 7:32 AM
I went thru shadow65 (member on here) and ordered a complete .22upper order ASAP cause builds are taking a couple weeks

This is my first ar build and rather get 22 first so I can stay indoor and keep it super cheap

Elwood_Blues
06-16-2012, 9:15 AM
I had a very similar question and ran a poll. I was leaning towards the 10/22 and seems like the rest of CGN suggested it too. I ended up getting a 10/22 and love it!

Check it out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=436842

m98
06-16-2012, 9:21 AM
If your looking for pure accuracy go 1022 modded. If you just want to plink go mp15-22. Imo, its more economical Today, to just get another 22lr rifle in the AR style. Not like 5yrs ago that ur only option is a 22lr upper.

roushstage2
06-16-2012, 10:29 AM
If you want accuracy from an out of the box repeater, get a Marlin 795 or 60.

Tjfearl
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I just recently bought the CMMG M4 22 upper. I havent gotten a chance to play with it yet, but all the reviews I have read about it say that it is very good quality. It uses a standard AR15 upper and good quality parts. the M&P 15/22 only takes S&W mags and from what I have read isnt as high of quality.

Chaos47
06-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Get a Marlin 795 and spend the rest of the money on ammo!

Munny$hot
06-16-2012, 2:15 PM
If your looking for pure accuracy go 1022 modded. If you just want to plink go mp15-22. Imo, its more economical Today, to just get another 22lr rifle in the AR style. Not like 5yrs ago that ur only option is a 22lr upper.

IIRC Ciener AR bolt kits have been around since the early 70's

m98
06-16-2012, 3:09 PM
IIRC Ciener AR bolt kits have been around since the early 70's

Yes it was available back then. But then it had all sorts of issues. Until in the last decade where the manufacturers where able to work out most of the quirks and its popularity skyrocketed.

m98
06-16-2012, 3:13 PM
I just recently bought the CMMG M4 22 upper. I havent gotten a chance to play with it yet, but all the reviews I have read about it say that it is very good quality. It uses a standard AR15 upper and good quality parts. the M&P 15/22 only takes S&W mags and from what I have read isnt as high of quality.

The cmmg's this has its own dedicated mags. They were just made to work in the ar mag well and mag catch. Most 22lr mags will and can choke on certain ammo. Even the reliable rotary 1022 mags choke from time to time. Its just the nature of 22lr.

m98
06-16-2012, 3:17 PM
Get a Marlin 795 and spend the rest of the money on ammo!

Good choice if not planning at all down the road to upgrade it. If you're the kind that just buys the rifle, shoot it, clean it, back into the safe. Its a good choice. But if you're unsure and want to leave ur options open, then 1022 ftw. Or if u just want a 22lr m4 look a like, mp15-22.

tomd1584
06-16-2012, 3:55 PM
I love my MP 15-22. It has over 8,000 rounds and still a tack driver. It doesn't like Remington ammo, but will feed pretty much everything else reliably.

I actually just ran it in one of Stan's (TASC) Carbine 202 class a few weekends ago in an effort to save money on 5.56 ammo... It was a little funny seeing an ACOG on it, but it ran great and it's more accurate than I am. Instead of spending $125+ on ammo, I bought a 525 brick of Winchester for $20 and still had ammo left over.

Tom

wsmc27
06-16-2012, 7:50 PM
I love my MP 15-22. It has over 8,000 rounds and still a tack driver. It doesn't like Remington ammo, but will feed pretty much everything else reliably.

I actually just ran it in one of Stan's (TASC) Carbine 202 class a few weekends ago in an effort to save money on 5.56 ammo... It was a little funny seeing an ACOG on it, but it ran great and it's more accurate than I am. Instead of spending $125+ on ammo, I bought a 525 brick of Winchester for $20 and still had ammo left over.

Tom

Nice!

We have the same, a 15-22 for nearly 2 1/2 years now. Let the boy run it in class several times over the last few years (incl recently with TASC) and it's such an ease on the pocket-book. He's run it with a scope at the benched range, a cheapo rd, and usually with irons (now with a bolt-on CH for different look).

Love that the controls all function same as AR so I can hand him the "big" carbine and he can rock those targets without learning another manual of arms.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Ever since building a dedicated .22LR AR with a CMMG barrel/collar and a Ciener conversion bolt, my 10/22 hasn't seen the outside of the safe. The CMMG barrel isn't as accurate as the Green Mountain bull barrel on the Ruger, so if it's target accuracy you're looking for, an upgraded Ruger may be a better bet.

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 8:31 PM
Let me buck the trend here - if your primary concern is cost, I suggest you get yourself a reloading rig. The .22 is nice, but you're not going to shoot super-accurately past about 100 yards or so on a familiar AR-platform .22LR without substantial modification and accessorization.

For the cost of a quality AR-style .22LR (avoid the Ruger, Umarex, Mossberg, try to find a Smith) or .22LR upper, you can set yourself up to reload high quality, low-cost .556 ammo that you can shoot all day. I'm actually kind of looking forward to shooting all my Lake City 855 and 193 off - it means I'll be able to swage out the primer pockets and have some quality brass for handload testing and development :)

I just got started for about $500 in supplies including some super-nice Sierra 77 grain Match Kings (the same bullets they use in the latest go-fast Mk 262 ammunition that Army Designated Marksman Rifles shoot) and some Varget powder. I can also do my handgun for a small additional cost.

Avoid the toys - go with the thinking man's investment and roll your own : ) You'll never look back.

TANK
06-17-2012, 8:44 PM
get one of each, then you wont ever think "man i wish i would of got the other one"

darqhelmet
06-17-2012, 9:02 PM
I have the .22lr CMMG M4 upper. Love it.

NorCalDustin
06-17-2012, 9:31 PM
I have the .22lr CMMG M4 upper. Love it.

Nice!! Glad you finally picked one up! Worth every penny.

darqhelmet
06-17-2012, 9:44 PM
It is a fun rifle that is cheap to shoot. Saves me tons of money on ammo. Though my Sig 522 groups better.

IPSICK
06-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Get the CMMG conversion bolt or build/buy a complete dedicated .22 AR-type rifle. I tried the dedicated upper route and eventually built another lower for it because I got tired of switching complete uppers.

shock
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
i have the lightweight tactical solutions upper and love it

had some issues with the blackdog magazine and the people at tactical solutions diagnosed it and fixed and made sure that the magazines would not pose any further problems.

super light too :D

TreeHugger
06-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Unless you are buying for "tacticoolness" (I almost bought the German GSG-5 for that purpose :) ), personally, I prefer the Ruger 10/22, there are so much aftermarket accessories for it and it is a pretty damn good rifle to start off with, even for the stripped down model. My next rig will be a 22LR for affordable shooting, and will definitely be a 10/22.

ptgarcia
06-18-2012, 1:38 PM
If you want to buy a gun that is accurate out of the box and just want to shoot it, get the Marlin. For the price you won't be able to beat it. If you want to screw with upgrades or be tacticool get something else.

IPSICK
06-18-2012, 1:59 PM
Is "tacticool" the new "mall ninja"? What's wrong with wanting a .22lr that approximates or makes use of your AR setup? Having an AR and not being LEO/mil already makes you "tacticool/mall-ninja". Nothing wrong with the Marlin or 10/22 suggestions, but why does it have to involve being condescending to those who choose to use .22lr AR setups instead?

ptgarcia
06-18-2012, 2:07 PM
Is "tacticool" the new "mall ninja"? What's wrong with wanting a .22lr that approximates or makes use of your AR setup? Having an AR and not being LEO/mil already makes you "tacticool/mall-ninja". Nothing wrong with the Marlin or 10/22 suggestions, but why does it have to involve being condescending to those who choose to use .22lr AR setups instead?

To me, having an AR and not using it in some professional capacity is being tacticool. I have an AR and am not a LEO nor am I in the military so my AR is of the tacticool variety. Its not condescending, its reality.

Now "mall ninja" takes it to the next level :D

IPSICK
06-18-2012, 2:32 PM
I just don't consider my AR very tacticool. Though I use it mainly for fun and marksmanship practice, it is also another tool in a worst case scenario.

Ultimately, I chose to build an .22lr AR because it mimics the operating system I prefer the most. I had Savage bolt actions in .308 and .22lr and the accuracy for both with me shooting was no better than my semi-auto rifles. So I sold them and stuck with AR platforms only.

ptgarcia
06-18-2012, 2:44 PM
I just don't consider my AR very tacticool. Though I use it mainly for fun and marksmanship practice, it is also another tool in a worst case scenario.

Ultimately, I chose to build an .22lr AR because it mimics the operating system I prefer the most. I had Savage bolt actions in .308 and .22lr and the accuracy for both with me shooting was no better than my semi-auto rifles. So I sold them and stuck with AR platforms only.

I'm right there with you. My AR is basically bare bones: it has a low power scope and that's it (no railed for end or anything like that), and use it for the exact same purposes you have listed. I just give them that moniker because they're based on military rifles. I don't call them that to poke fun or anything; instead I call them that to convey the style of firearm.

IPSICK
06-18-2012, 3:18 PM
I'm right there with you. My AR is basically bare bones: it has a low power scope and that's it (no railed for end or anything like that), and use it for the exact same purposes you have listed. I just give them that moniker because they're based on military rifles. I don't call them that to poke fun or anything; instead I call them that to convey the style of firearm.

Ok, now you sound tacticool. Emphasis on cool.

TreeHugger
06-18-2012, 3:41 PM
Is "tacticool" the new "mall ninja"?

For the amount of dollars one would pay, I just personally think a 10/22 would be well better spent over a 22LR AR upper. But, if money is of no concern, than by all means, get whatever you are willing to spend. It's all just personal preference, don't take it personally.

nothing4u
06-18-2012, 4:26 PM
I think you would be able to get a much more accurate 10/22 with the same money spent on a AR22 upper. I went the dedicated 22LR route because I already have a nice Jewel trigger donor lower and because an AR22 is tacticool without going broke on ammo. If you're going for the 22 upper I'd say get the CMMG with stainless steel internals.