PDA

View Full Version : Strike Industries MITCH handguard CA legal?

OrenG
06-16-2012, 1:25 AM
http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/rifle-enhancements/mitch-series-handguard.html

http://i.imgur.com/P2IEy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UEge3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PWkbl.jpg

Just wondering if there's any legality issues with this handguard considering it comes with this nub like forward grip attachment.

Personally I wouldn't attach that smaller piece even if it was legal, so I suppose this is more a question of would it be legal to order and bring into the state?

jpm804
06-16-2012, 2:06 AM
I might be missing something, but why would the handstop make this not legal in California?

Ziggy91
06-16-2012, 2:22 AM
Strike Industries is based in Santa Ana, California. I don't think a company would produce goods that aren't even legal in their own state.

SocomM4
06-16-2012, 2:34 AM
,youd buy that?

06-16-2012, 2:48 AM
Strike Industries is based in Santa Ana, California. I don't think a company would produce goods that aren't even legal in their own state.

No comment on the legality but ... sure they would ----> 49 other states in which to hawk their wares.

,youd buy that?

:laugh:

tuna quesadilla
06-16-2012, 3:05 AM

Happens all the time.

anymoose
06-16-2012, 3:09 AM
The fashion police might have some issues with it

MrPlink
06-16-2012, 3:21 AM
Could be iffy on featureless, I see no issues with a mag lock'd rifle, rimfire etc etc

OrenG
06-16-2012, 3:26 AM
Deleted: Merged with post below.

OrenG
06-16-2012, 3:29 AM
The reason I raise the issue is due to the fact that whoever is holding it in that picture is demonstrating that it can be used somewhat like a fore grip.

I'm not one to mess around with the DOJ's interpretation on such a thing.

,youd buy that?

It's more conservative than most of the other tacticool rails and magpul furniture IMHO. I personally hate the 4 sided rails they're making these days. Considering most of the time they are just covered with rail covers and aren't being used to mount something on. IMO if you're going to mount something use a section of rail instead of having a huge gigantic rail with mostly wasted space for a flashlight or grip.

I'm just not one for the typical super awesome field operator high speed low drag market.

roushstage2
06-16-2012, 4:02 AM
http://bit.ly/Lsuva1
The reason I raise the issue is due to the fact that whoever is holding it in that picture is demonstrating that it can be used somewhat like a fore grip.

Simply put: forward grips aren't illegal on "evil"-featured rifles. They are illegal on featureless rifles. You don't really need to mess around with any interpretations.

anymoose
06-16-2012, 4:13 AM
http://bit.ly/Lsuva1

Simply put: forward grips aren't illegal on "evil"-featured rifles. They are illegal on featureless rifles. You don't really need to mess around with any interpretations.

I thought he mag magnet was legal in ca?

Merc1138
06-16-2012, 4:15 AM

Where it's manufactured has nothing to do with it as long as they have the permits to let them do so. Lots of things get made in CA that you or I cannot buy for any number of reasons.

No. It's legal to buy in CA and use elsewhere.

anymoose
06-16-2012, 4:16 AM
Where it's manufactured has nothing to do with it as long as they have the permits to let them do so. Lots of things get made in CA that you or I cannot buy for any number of reasons.

No. It's legal to buy in CA and use elsewhere.

what if its on a .22 or a featureless?

Merc1138
06-16-2012, 4:28 AM
what if its on a .22 or a featureless?

This is the centerfire forum, not the rimfire forum("but what if you have a rimfire upper?" ok, and the rimfire forum is thataway --->). We aren't talking about rimfire, and that's maybe the one instance(a rimfire upper) that might make sense to use a mag magnet in CA.

If you have a featureless setup, it would be incredibly stupid to use the mag magnet and risk it falling off, because you'll have just created a mag locked rifle, and if that rifle has a mag greater than 10 rounds in it, you've got trouble.

Quiet
06-16-2012, 4:29 AM

Current legislation (SB 249) would make mere possession illegal.

anymoose
06-16-2012, 4:35 AM
This is the centerfire forum, not the rimfire forum("but what if you have a rimfire upper?" ok, and the rimfire forum is thataway --->). We aren't talking about rimfire, and that's maybe the one instance(a rimfire upper) that might make sense to use a mag magnet in CA.

If you have a featureless setup, it would be incredibly stupid to use the mag magnet and risk it falling off, because you'll have just created a mag locked rifle, and if that rifle has a mag greater than 10 rounds in it, you've got trouble.

The mag magnet got brought up by someone trying to prove a point that just because something is made in CA, it doesnt make it legal here. But the mag magnet is legal in here in CA.

I just dont understand where all the hate for the mag magnet comes from. Use it right, and its fine and legal, like many many other things in this world.

I think it would be nice to have one for home defense (with a .22 upper of course).

anymoose
06-16-2012, 4:38 AM
Current legislation (SB 249) would make mere possession illegal.

I havent read through much of that. Possession period? if someone only had .22 cal ARs, they still wouldnt be allowed to own one?

Merc1138
06-16-2012, 4:54 AM
The mag magnet got brought up by someone trying to prove a point that just because something is made in CA, it doesnt make it legal here. But the mag magnet is legal in here in CA.

I just dont understand where all the hate for the mag magnet comes from. Use it right, and its fine and legal, like many many other things in this world.

I think it would be nice to have one for home defense (with a .22 upper of course).

Why would you use a .22lr upper for home defense if you had a centerfire upper?

Again, there's only 2 logical uses for the thing. Having a .22lr upper, or taking it out of state. If you don't understand why people have issues with the mag magnet, I suggest actually reading sb249, finding out what prompted it, and mag magnets marketing.

anymoose
06-16-2012, 5:03 AM
Why would you use a .22lr upper for home defense if you had a centerfire upper?

Again, there's only 2 logical uses for the thing. Having a .22lr upper, or taking it out of state. If you don't understand why people have issues with the mag magnet, I suggest actually reading sb249, finding out what prompted it, and mag magnets marketing.

Im not disagreeing about its practical usability, but thats not a reason to ban them or be mad at the company that makes them.

the corvette for example is capable of breaking the speed limit, does that mean the only reason to have on is to take to the track or if you use it with a super restrictive governor?

i get what yorue saying, all im saying is that its not an inherently dangerous/bad/illegal product, its up to the end user to be safe/good/legal with it.

MrExel17
06-16-2012, 8:45 AM
Dont think so, should be good to go. Buy what you like!

rero360
06-16-2012, 8:59 AM
I wouldn't buy it myself, after seeing their "Cobra Tactical Fore Grip" the other day and how it appears to be a blatant copy of the Magpul AFG with just enough changes to possibly avoid a lawsuit for copyright/ patent infringement I decided that I will not give my money to a company that acts in such a way. Also Magpul-USA company, products manufactured here in the USA. Strike Industries, made in Taiwan.

tuna quesadilla
06-16-2012, 9:39 AM

what

anymoose
06-16-2012, 9:56 AM
what

Keeping things legal. I would NEVER put a mag magnet on my gun with a 556 upper and just say that I reloaded as needed to defend my life, using my bullet button tool.

rero360
06-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Keeping things legal. I would NEVER put a mag magnet on my gun with a 556 upper and just say that I reloaded as needed to defend my life, using my bullet button tool.

While the lowly .22LR is indeed quite lethal, it would be in the top three for least recommended for self/home defense. .25 and .32 ACP being the other two. I would also question the sanity of someone who would use a .22 as their HD/SD gun, regardless of whether it was a pistol or rifle when they had access to better calibers.

If you doubt your ability to put down a threat using .223/5.56 with 10 rounds at normal SD distances then you need to reevaluate your choice of ammo and get your butt to the range to do some serious practice, maybe get some training.

I've seen first had what it does at close range, same with simple 9mm ball, you make the shot count and put it in the vitals and it is impressive.

I personally use a 12guage loaded with one oz. slugs but would not feel under gunned in the slightest if I were to use the AR, although I'd switch to TAP rounds or something similar opposed to the ball ammo I have at the moment.

roushstage2
06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, but now you are twisting why I brought it up by throwing rimfire [read:exempt] rifles in there. Whether actual possession is legal or not (as Quiet brought up), I wouldn't risk it as I think there are better options anyways, but it doesn't do much good to have the thing when you can't use it.

Chaos47
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM

Back to the point.

As already stated:
Forward grips are not illegal on Magazine Locked rifles
It could possibly be a bad idea on a Featureless rifle.

If you are not one to mess around the with DOJ interpretations why don't you read the law for your self?

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding PC section 12276, assault weapon shall also
mean the following: Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine CCR 11 5469 (a) and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip CCR 11 5469 (d)
(B) A thumbhole stock. CCR 11 5469 (e)
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor. CCR 11 5469 (b)
(F) A forward pistol grip. CCR 11 5469 (c)

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(c) "forward pistol grip" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.

tuna quesadilla
06-16-2012, 4:44 PM

I said "what" because you seemed to be advocating a .22LR upper for home defense, which is incredibly, incredibly foolish.