PDA

View Full Version : moving to cali with my sa-93,HELP!!!

jman245
06-15-2012, 7:50 PM
new here and moving back to cali from vegas.i would like to make my rifle compliant to ca.it has the plastic stock on it not the thumbhole.please list the items i need to add or delete to be good in ca.i would like to retain my hicaps if possible,i read i can do this by adding a kydex grip?and if i use a mag-lock i would restricted to 10 rnd mags ?please school me here.thanks

Merc1138
06-15-2012, 7:58 PM
No, you cannot retain your hi-caps unless you had them here prior to 1/1/2000.

Take them apart, block them into 10 rounders, and get a mag lock.

Or, get a grip wrap, make sure the stock can't fold/collapse/telescope/etc, make sure there's no flash hider, no VFG, and use 10 round magazines.

Yeah, it sucks, but those are your options.

jman245
06-15-2012, 8:18 PM
so even with the grip wrap you cant use 10+rnd mags?if i use mag lock i can still retain pg?thanks

robtech
06-15-2012, 8:40 PM
or just keep th hi cap mags and just dont take them to the range

Arkangel
06-15-2012, 8:50 PM

That's a joke right? You aren't suggesting the OP break the law by importing high capacity magazines are you?

Merc1138
06-15-2012, 8:52 PM

Fail.

Do you encourage your friends to commit felonies too?

The only other thing the OP could do, is take apart the hi-caps and keep them as repair kits(or to re-assemble out of state, and then take them apart again before bringing them back), and get a separate stash of 10 round mags.
so even with the grip wrap you cant use 10+rnd mags?if i use mag lock i can still retain pg?thanks

You could if you already had the mags here, but apparently you didn't(and importing hi-caps would be bad). The magazine capacity and AW laws are separate.

Chaos47
06-15-2012, 8:58 PM
I'm pretty sure but may be wrong and I am sure someone will correct me if I am:

If you previously owned those magazines in CA prior to Jan 1st 2000 I'm pretty sure you can take them out of state and bring them back in.
See this post:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2937667&postcount=5

You can not use over 10 round magazines in a magazine locked rifle period.

vintagearms
06-15-2012, 8:58 PM
Short answer is NO. You cant bring them in assembled. Either block them to 10 rounds or keep them UNassembled while in CA. That's it.

Arkangel
06-15-2012, 9:01 PM
OP here are the choices

Mags:

1.Break down into kits, reassemble in to blocked mags holding 10 rounds or less.

2. Break down into kits, leave them as kits and get some new 10 rounders.

Rifle:

1.Keep all the features the rifle has and install a mag lock (solar tactical is very popular)

2. Go featureless, use a grip wrap ( eliminating the pg) and use 10 round mags. You already have a fixed stock and muzzle break ( flashiders are a no-no on a featureless rifle)

*** If you had high capacity magazines in CA before the ban you could still use them with the featureless set up.

If I messed anything up someone will chime in.... Oh yeah, Welcome back to the suck.

jman245
06-15-2012, 9:09 PM
well i did have the mags prior to the ban when i lived in cali,so as long as i go featureless i can use them.got it!now,to go mag lock or featureless...?

Chaos47
06-15-2012, 9:14 PM
well i did have the mags prior to the ban when i lived in cali,so as long as i go featureless i can use them.got it!now,to go mag lock or featureless...?

Then you are good to go on bringing them back in assembled.

Go featureless! AK's are pretty much featureless by default (unless you have a thumb hole / folding / collapsible stock or flash hider). Most times you just have to take care of the pistol grip.

Check out the featureless guide link in my sig

Arkangel
06-15-2012, 9:15 PM
Well if you go mag lock you have to use < 10 rounders ( need a mag lock + new mags), if you go featureless all you need is a grip warp.... I'm cheap so you know my suggestion.

jman245
06-15-2012, 9:21 PM
thanks so much guys!i love this site!