PDA

View Full Version : Is this clays class deal worth it?

d4j0n
06-15-2012, 3:53 PM
Debating buying a shottie at some point and getting into clays, was wondering if this class is worth the money:

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1715/deals/363742-introduction-to-clay-shooting-package-for-two

$109 gives shotgun rental for two, 125 clays, 4 boxes of ammo.

Go for it? Or continue looking for a friend with equipment?

ysr_racer
06-15-2012, 4:04 PM
Abso-friggin-lutely

Triple B Clays

Introduction to Clay Shooting Package for Two ($109) or Four ($199) Including an Instructor, Guns, Targets, Ammo, Protective Gear, and Golf Cart

CK_32
06-15-2012, 4:22 PM
Hey that's not bad. Just about everything on living social is a dam good deal.

bsg
06-15-2012, 5:56 PM
i believe you'll get your monies worth... and then some.

BigDogatPlay
06-15-2012, 8:02 PM
4 boxes ammo = $30 +/-.

125 clays = $30 non member at the club I shoot at.

Then $49 cost to rent two guns for an afternoon and instructors time.

Oh heck yeah that's a swinging deal, especially considering how much fun you'll have learning the game the right way.

Thefeeder
06-15-2012, 8:05 PM
That is a good deal. Believe me!

glug
06-15-2012, 8:24 PM
That's a good deal. An instructor is well worth it for a first time out, you will get a lot more hits and have way more fun. I think I paid $70 per person when I went with a group of 4, and we threw in a pretty good tip on top of that because our guide was so awesome.

high_revs
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
seems to be a good deal. my friends are doing an experience package for $69 with 2 boxes of ammo, 50 clays and 2 rounds of trap. (i think it's trap, not sporting clays). includes gun rental

sffred
06-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Great deal plus classes are always a plus!

ysr_racer
06-16-2012, 5:56 AM
Since Sporting Clays includes presentations you see in trap and skeet, you'll be ahead of the game if you decide to shoot them.

I hope that not too offensive to the t&s guys

RoundEye
06-16-2012, 9:09 AM
Anyone know if this would be subpar, equal, or better than the CGN Clinic that is being run by "bjl333" on the sticky at the top of this forum?

I have some knew shooters that want to try out clay shooting, and although it might cost a little more for the CGN clinic that the instruction might be far better.

Any thoughts?

stevec223
06-16-2012, 9:59 AM
this package is a no-brainer.....extreme value.... have fun and learn all you can !!! maybe you can get different rental guns so your group can trade off and find what works best for each gunner....cheers....

sidious
06-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Anyone know if this would be subpar, equal, or better than the CGN Clinic that is being run by "bjl333" on the sticky at the top of this forum?

I have some knew shooters that want to try out clay shooting, and although it might cost a little more for the CGN clinic that the instruction might be far better.

Any thoughts?

I can't speak to the instruction offered by Triple B via the LivingSocial package (which I think is a good deal also), but for the money the skeet clinic with Don Ziegler has more value as the class goes between 6 - 8 hours for $20 (this excludes ammo and range cost ~$30). This is invaluable time for new shooters to learn a clay game including safety, proper mounting, and rules of a game.

Edit: After reading the details of the LivingSocial package, the skeet clinic is definitely a better deal in that you get to shoot 50 birds vs the 25 per person. No denying the fact that the more you shoot, the better and more comfortable you'll get (for beginners).

RoundEye
06-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I can't speak to the instruction offered by Triple B via the LivingSocial package (which I think is a good deal also), but for the money the skeet clinic with Don Ziegler has more value as the class goes between 6 - 8 hours for $20 (this excludes ammo and range cost ~$30). This is invaluable time for new shooters to learn a clay game including safety, proper mounting, and rules of a game.

Edit: After reading the details of the LivingSocial package, the skeet clinic is definitely a better deal in that you get to shoot 50 birds vs the 25 per person. No denying the fact that the more you shoot, the better and more comfortable you'll get (for beginners).

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Currently, the wife and I are scheduled for the CGN clinic in July. One of her friends expressed some interest when the living social deal came out, so I was trying to point her in the right direction.

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Debating buying a shottie at some point and getting into clays, was wondering if this class is worth the money:

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1715/deals/363742-introduction-to-clay-shooting-package-for-two

$109 gives shotgun rental for two, 125 clays, 4 boxes of ammo.

Go for it? Or continue looking for a friend with equipment?

Like everyone has said, it's a great deal. I would suggest buying a shotgun for clays instead of a video game or airsoft "shottie" though.

bjl333
06-16-2012, 2:08 PM
The value is definitely a good one. The presentations in Sporting Clays can be very challenging for beginners. Give it a shot and see if you like it.

Newshooter
06-16-2012, 2:31 PM
Be cautious...it seems like a good deal until you get the sporting clays bug and realize how much money it costs to shoot sporting clays. Those guns are pricey!!:clown:

Go for it and enjoy...sporting clays is really a great time!

GunninIt
06-16-2012, 2:43 PM
Be cautious...it seems like a good deal until you get the sporting clays bug and realize how much money it costs to shoot sporting clays. Those guns are pricey!!:clown:

Go for it and enjoy...sporting clays is really a great time!

Best reply of the thread!

I completely agree with it, as well. Next thing the OP knows, he's on to his first Remington 870...then feels like he needs a Benelli semi, and of course a Perrazi O/U. He's screwed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ysr_racer
06-16-2012, 4:11 PM
I think the biggest difference would be the class size to instructor ratio.

06-16-2012, 5:49 PM
Brad,

I have taken several Cal Gun Skeet Classes and shoot on a weekly schedule.

I have not seen you sign-up for or attend any of the classes, so how would you know?

You have belittled the Cal Gun Clinics, almost on a weekly basis for nearly a year.

I will Pay your class fee for ONE lesson.

Come on down, show us how You Walk Your Talk and put an end the bashing.

John

ysr_racer
06-16-2012, 6:41 PM
I'm confused, I said I think the difference is the class size. What part of that is belittling?

If I'm wrong post the correct info, and quit being so sensitive.

Not sure what you're looking for here.

GunninIt
06-16-2012, 6:50 PM
Brad,

I have taken several Cal Gun Skeet Classes and shoot on a weekly schedule.

I have not seen you sign-up for or attend any of the classes, so how would you know?

You have belittled the Cal Gun Clinics, almost on a weekly basis for nearly a year.

I will Pay your class fee for ONE lesson.

Come on down, show us how You Walk Your Talk and put an end the bashing.

John

Maybe I missed something, and don't know the history - that and I have had a couple beers, but I don't see any bashing in this thread. Not of BBB, not of the clinics, or the Living Social deal.

FWIW, I'm signed up for Don's Lvl 1 class on 7/20. I'm jazzed. If you're already into the sport, you can't beat the deal, and being taught by someone like him. If you're new, the Living Social deal seems like just the ticket to get exposure to the sport, and have a positive experience for noobies.

Javi
06-16-2012, 8:12 PM
I'm not signed up with livingsocial. If purchased, when would this class day be or is it a day of your choosing for the rest of the year? Or maybe doesn't expire? :)

GunninIt
06-16-2012, 8:29 PM
I'm not signed up with livingsocial. If purchased, when would this class day be or is it a day of your choosing for the rest of the year? Or maybe doesn't expire? :)

Based on previous use of Living Social/Groupon deals, there is always an expiration. Generally, you retain the paid value, even if it expires. This is one of those call and schedule an appointment type things, not really a class or day.

forgiven
06-17-2012, 2:10 AM
OP, yesssssssssssssss to your question.

CGT80
06-17-2012, 11:09 AM
The living social deal seems good. I thought I saw some of their deals in the past that were not really deals, it's been a while. The calguns skeet clinic is great. I think I have done three classes and I am in level II. I haven't had any sporting clays instruction. I think Don's class (skeet) would be better for a beginner than sporting clays. Skeet is repetitive and shot on one field. Don and his assistants teach very valuable information. They can turn a shooter around pretty quick. Sporting clays will be different on each station. In skeet, the birds always come from the same two places. Your angle to the bird will change depending on what station you are on, but you will still already know the flight path and lead for that bird.

My non-expert opinion is that a calguns skeet class followed up by a sporting clays package (if that is what you are interested in) would make more sense. The repetitiveness of skeet will get you to breaking birds quickly and understanding how to swing a shotgun and position your body to do so. A sporting clays instructor may then have an easier time teaching you how to hit the varying targets in sporting clays since you will already be comfortable with breaking birds. I think I went through a minimum of 75 birds in each of Don's skeet classes. I always tried to get in as much practice as I could. I got more than $20 worth of instruction.

I tried sporting clays before I had any instruction at all. I could shoot hand thrown clays very well (shot many thousands of them). I sucked at sporting clays. The first and second station at Raahauges was very difficult. Now that I have some basic skills and knowledge about what it takes to hit a bird, I think I would have a better chance at sporting clays.

bjl333
06-17-2012, 1:09 PM
Since Sporting Clays includes presentations you see in trap and skeet, you'll be ahead of the game if you decide to shoot them.

I hope that not too offensive to the t&s guys

I think the biggest difference would be the class size to instructor ratio.

I'm confused, I said I think the difference is the class size. What part of that is belittling?

If I'm wrong post the correct info, and quit being so sensitive.

Not sure what you're looking for here.

Brad,

The constant referances or hints of Sporting Clays being better then Trap & Skeet is what everyone is referring to. The pattern has been going on for well over a year!!

If you are trying to promote Sporting Clays, I'm all for it!! But PLEASE do it in a way to help the ENTIRE Clays sport and not make it seem like there is a dividing line between Sporting Clays & Trap & Skeet!! There isn't!

All of our Skeet Clinic post to promote Skeet has been neutural and we even recommand Sporting Clays at times. We have not once belittle Sporting Clays or Trap in our posts to promote. Please do the same!! You are very knowledgeable in Shotguns and I know you can offer a lot of guidance to new Clays shooters.

Dude, At the end of the day we are all trying to get new people to shoot Clays, be it Sporting, Trap & Skeet or even Bunker!! If you look back 20+ years ago, International/Pachmayr had so many more shooters then we have now. It sadden me to see how little people shoot now. I remember weeknights having all the fields filled. Let's work toward having that again!! Cool?

Jordon

Javi
06-25-2012, 7:21 PM
Bumping this real quick.

I've signed up with Living Social. Will Living Social/Triple B's have this offer again in the future? I didn't have the money to buy it at the time =/

GunninIt
06-25-2012, 8:07 PM
Bumping this real quick.

I've signed up with Living Social. Will Living Social/Triple B's have this offer again in the future? I didn't have the money to buy it at the time =/

Absolutely. Triple B has had deals through both Groupon and Living Social. The other one you'll see on Groupon is Oak Tree Gun Club. They had a Sporting Clay special not too long ago also. Super popular.

Just keep your eyes peeled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Javi
06-25-2012, 9:45 PM
Great, thanks! Prado had one up a few days ago for Trap but I'd really like to try that sporting clays one with Triple B, though. Oaktree is too far for me.

high_revs
06-26-2012, 11:33 AM
so the SO and friends did the Cayote Clays experience package. I would not be surprised the CGN clinic would be better. i wasn't shooting since I'm the babysitter but I listened part of the 1st station and part of the 2nd (all beginning). i was not too impressed and I heard later that the details like stance, etc. was not really discussed until someone asked about stance. :rolleyes:

the important thing though is all had fun, especially on the rabbit part course.
but listening in, i was not remotely impressed with instruction.

Any thoughts?