PDA

View Full Version : One point or two point sling

rogervzv
06-15-2012, 7:02 AM
My Ruger SR556E comes with a rear sling attachment but not a front sling attachment. It does have a lower tactical rail that I could attach a front sling attachment to.

So my question is, should I do this? Attach a front attachment and go with a two-point sling? Or are there good one-point slings out there? In the Army we used two-point slings and that is all I am familiar with.

What is a good front attachment for a lower rail? What is a good one-point sling, alternatively?

Comments?

pc_load_letter
06-15-2012, 7:05 AM
Love this one...

http://www.savvysniper.com/tacticalsling.html

Lifeon2whls
06-15-2012, 7:18 AM
I got the Vickers sling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs_3jGejxs

Main reason is that I like a sling for shooting standing and wanted something that was easily adjustable. I may take some carbine classes but I don't plan on going all Mall Ninja so the single point didnt make much sense.

zfields
06-15-2012, 8:04 AM
IMO, unless its an SBR, you are just asking for a nut shot with a single point.

Thordo
06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
My Ruger SR556E comes with a rear sling attachment but not a front sling attachment. It does have a lower tactical rail that I could attach a front sling attachment to.

So my question is, should I do this? Attach a front attachment and go with a two-point sling? Or are there good one-point slings out there? In the Army we used two-point slings and that is all I am familiar with.

What is a good front attachment for a lower rail? What is a good one-point sling, alternatively?

Comments?

Look for a sling that can do both, try both setups and then decide. I use a Condor stryke tactical sling. I didn't like two point position because it's harder to transition from right hand to left hand. Being ambi has it's advantages!! Magpul has a great rail mounted sling attachment for a 2 point that's pretty popular.

Thordo

Thordo

TNP'R
06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
2 point sling.

pegasus
06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
I love my magpul 2 generation sling. Can use it either way.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I used a 1 point sling on my AR pistol for a year or so. It isn't all that great. It doesn't hold the weapon in place, and if you don't hold onto it with one hand it is impossible to do much without having it flop around and get in the way. I usually use a 2 or 3 point sling now. I also normally use an Israeli attachment for the front. This involves they highly technical tying of paracord in a loop around the front sight base. While crude and simple, I have found that it works much better than 90% of the sling attachments out there.

-Mb

J.S.Riesch
06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
2 point all day long. I donít like a loaded weapon flop around my family jewels.;)

06-15-2012, 2:39 PM
both - VTAC MK2 w/IWC triglide

BlackTydeTactical
06-15-2012, 2:42 PM
I like the 2-point sling personally.

Arnelcheeze
06-15-2012, 2:54 PM
get a convertible sling

anymoose
06-15-2012, 3:47 PM
I like my Troy 2 point.

1pt vs 2pt is up to you, and the application you intend to use the gun for.

1pt seems to be nice if you are constantly holding your gun and will never ever let go of it. if you do need to let go of it, youll get a nut shot. good for clearing houses and what not.

2pt allows you to let go of the gun, and seems more comfortable if youre going to be walking around with it.

Plus with your service and being used to a 2pt, it makes sense to stick to what you know.

In the Marines we used 2pts in boot camp, and 3pts after, i like them both, but the 3pt is a little bulky and i didnt see much advantage over using a 2 pt.

anymoose
06-15-2012, 3:48 PM
get a convertible sling

like this one?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=582168

:shifty: :D

tacticalcity
06-15-2012, 3:56 PM
2-Point sling.

As you will learn in your first carbine course, your handgun is the backup to your rifle. A second gun is faster than a reload. So when your magazine in the rifle runs dry, you do not reach for another magazine. Instead, you let your rifle hang as in drop it, let it fall, and let the sling catch it and draw your handgun and continue the fight without missing a beat.

Sounds great right? One problem. With a 2-point sling when you just drop it and let it hang, it flops safely against your chest and stomach and is safety out of the way with your draw. But with a 1-point sling it nails you right in nuts and then proceeds to flop around right in the direct path of your draw for your handgun. Feels just like that girl that nailed you in recess in junior high...you know the star soccer player.

If you cautiously lower your sling and move it off to the side, you completely defeat the purpose and miss the point of the handgun as a backup. It needs to be instantaneous. All that time dilly dallying with your single point sling is time you don't have.

So run 2 or 3 point sling. In the absolutely rare occasions you need the flexibility or a single point sling there is a move you can do to get your support side arm out of the sling and have the sling just around your neck. Those occasions occur much less often than the times you need the sling not to nail you in the nuts.

I am not sure if an AR pistol would hang low enough for this to be an issue. Never got around to trying it. If not then I would be fine running a solid 1 point sling. I ran a 1-point sling on mine back when I owned one. Non-bungee version so you could stablize it with the sling.

My absolute favorite for long training days with my M4 is a Blue Force Vickers Padded Adjustable 2-Point Sling. Love it. 5.11 makes an identical sling as does VTAC.

As for convertable ALL-IN-ONE slings, Rocky Mountain Tactical makes a really cool 1 and 2 point convertable sling. If it were padded it would be my favorite sling, but then it would not be convertable anymore. This is my backup rifle sling, and I used to run it on my AR pistol as a single point before I sold that gun off. Marshall, the owner is a member here on Calguns and makes an excellent product. I've been selling his slings for years in my ebay store www.tacticalstop.com and he sells them on his site www.rockymountaintactical.net.

Dhena81
06-15-2012, 4:01 PM
A single point is great for 3 gun shooting.

gregshin
06-15-2012, 4:47 PM
2 point sling and I 2nd the vickers sling recommendation I think they got a cage # too now.

strongpoint
06-15-2012, 6:10 PM
two of specter gear's three-point models -- the CST and the SOP -- have a buckle that lets you a) switch shoulders while in three-point mode, or b) quickly convert to two-point mode.

i have an SOP, and i love it.

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-15-2012, 6:11 PM
Single point works great if you practice with it and get it to become second nature. It sucks for long range stability. Find your primary usage and build around that.

VictorFranko
06-15-2012, 6:15 PM
I like the single point for building clearing, where you have to transition back and forth to off-hand, all else I prefer my 2-point sling.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-15-2012, 6:20 PM
Single point slings are good for CQB, not much good for anything else. Unless you're going to clear buildings with your rifle, go with what you're familiar with and works.

BTW, the "nut shot" when releasing a long gun equipped with a single-point sling isn't mandatory. Insert your head and support side arm through the sling to use it, when releasing it push it down and to the support side and it will rotate the sling and miss your important parts.

xpbprox
06-15-2012, 6:25 PM
Both

Check out area armor. No doubt best sling I've seen. They have great video demonstrations of their huskey sling. I picked up one here on calguns for $40 with both QD swivels and front rail mount

Fractured
06-15-2012, 7:01 PM
I was thinking of getting the condor 2 point speedy sling. I like how it has the straps, instead of clips. any opinions?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/condor-speedy-twopoint-sling.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2216_452126637

anymoose
06-15-2012, 7:05 PM
I was thinking of getting the condor 2 point speedy sling. I like how it has the straps, instead of clips. any opinions?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/condor-speedy-twopoint-sling.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2216_452126637

Instead of what clips?

Fractured
06-15-2012, 7:07 PM
Instead of what clips?

The clips that attach to the sling mounts- like this:
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mmoArQQ0p1FzdEZP9xLXnkw/140.jpg

anymoose
06-15-2012, 7:54 PM
I think those are called HK type hooks.

Most slings I've seen come with just straps, then you attach them to anything you want. I attached my sling to push button swivels, I used to have them just fed through my buttstock and a swivel up front, for example.

I don't know much about condor, I really like my Troy though, it's padded and really high quality, also has a bungee for added flex/ comfort.

MossbergMan
06-15-2012, 8:17 PM
Both

Check out area armor. No doubt best sling I've seen. They have great video demonstrations of their huskey sling. I picked up one here on calguns for $40 with both QD swivels and front rail mount

I think you mean Aries Armor??? I have the Aries 2 point on my AR and love.

xpbprox
06-15-2012, 8:41 PM
I think you mean Aries Armor??? I have the Aries 2 point on my AR and love.

Yes, thanks. My iPhone does not recognize ares haha. It changes it to area

negolien
06-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Magpuls slings can be both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyht2WHj3c