PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy an AR15 upper without a muzzle brake or flash hider

sumdood
06-14-2012, 9:19 PM
I want to build a featureless rifle and can't seem to easily find sellers that offer a standard hunting type crowned AR15 complete upper.

Thanks

anymoose
06-14-2012, 9:26 PM
i think i saw some on brownells :shrug:

nimbus
06-14-2012, 9:26 PM
Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17520&cat=259&page=1

They also sell barrels with no threads up front if you want to build one yourself.

loosewreck
06-14-2012, 9:31 PM
Companies sometimes advertise them as "post ban" or "varmint" uppers. However, some "post ban" come with a muzzle brake installed.

The simplest solution is to replace the muzzle device that comes with your upper with a thread protector.

sumdood
06-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17520&cat=259&page=1

They also sell barrels with no threads up front if you want to build one yourself.

Yes, something like this. But with a 1:9 twist to shoot heavier bullets.

anymoose
06-14-2012, 10:26 PM

I thought you wanted faster twist for heavier bullets?

roushstage2
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM
The simplest solution is to replace the muzzle device that comes with your upper with a thread protector.
That's what I was thinking too.

Redchevyman
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
I have a new 20" post ban A2 complete upper for $450 if you are interested.

Sleighter
06-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I have this bushmaster predator upper and love it. It has the 1/8 twist for heavier bullets, the match hybrid chamber (.223 wylde) so it shoots 5.56 or. 223 but is more accurate than a standard 5.56. It has the competition crown and no threading on the end as you mentioned. It also is fluted for lighter weight and faster cooling, yet has the heavier barrel profile to keep from heating up as quickly as a lower weight barrel profile.

Check it out on Midway's site and see what you think:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/534231/bushmaster-ar-15-predator-a3-flat-top-upper-assembly-556x45mm-nato-1-in-8-twist-20-fluted-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-vented-free-float-handguard

Sleighter
06-14-2012, 11:39 PM
PS:If you can make it up to the inland empire you are welcome to see my rifle for yourself if you are interested in the upper. It is featureless except for the pistol grip. I have a flexible schedule if you can make it to the area and are interested. Let me know.

ExtremeX
06-14-2012, 11:44 PM

You got it backwards dude... 1:8 is for heavier, 1:7 for even heavier

sigstroker
06-15-2012, 1:59 AM
There are probably a bunch of them around from the ban days that people replaced once the ban was lifted. I bet you could get one cheap if you put out some ads. I know that I had an upper that I didn't know what I was going to do with. I probably would have just sat on it figuring nobody would want to buy it. A thief solved that problem for me by stealing it.

baih777
06-15-2012, 3:37 AM
just go to Turners. the bushmaster uppers they sell are not threaded. they have 20 and 24 inch. they use to put them on sale. havent seen the sale for awhile.

MrPlink
06-15-2012, 4:06 AM
Just so we are clear,

you do know comps are A ok on a featureless as is a threaded barrel.

(just checking)

CHS
06-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Just so we are clear,

you do know comps are A ok on a featureless as is a threaded barrel.

(just checking)

But most AR uppers come with an A2 flash hider installed, which is a no-no.

OP, I second and third the recomendations to look for companies that sell "post-ban" or "ban compliant" uppers. These are uppers sold for the NY/NJ/etc markets which still have mirror copies of the federal assault weapons ban in place at the state level which bars threaded barrels and bayonet lugs. Those barrels will either have a permanently attached muzzle brake installed, or a crowned and non-threaded barrel and will be missing the bayonet lug.

If you just want a crowned barrel, that's your best bet.

However, having a threaded barrel leaves you with lots of options and is not a banned feature for California "featureless" guns. As long as you remove the flash hider you're ok. You DO NOT have to remove the threads. You can then install a thread protector, a muzzle brake, or even leave the threads exposed (though this does increase the chances of them getting messed up).

Aeonstar
06-15-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.careycustomrifleco.com/
Sick accuracy with Shilen super match barrels. In any profile and twist you like. You can get a complete upper much faster than some of the other custom shops.

Here is mine in 204 ruger 1/10 sporter weight

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/aeonstar3/1eeeca8a.jpg

bohoki
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
not much call for the old so called (post ban)aka during ban barrels since the ban expired

artoaster
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
not much call for the old so called (post ban)aka during ban barrels since the ban expired

True. I had a carbine 16" threaded to take a flash hider/or brake. My Colt Match Target from that era retains it's 20" rifle length and pre-ban non-threaded barrel.

CHS
06-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Except in states like New York and New Jersey and I believe a couple others. They have mirror copies of the federal law still on the state law books.

Anchors
06-17-2012, 3:28 PM
Just get a regular upper and replace the A2 Flash Hider with a muzzle brake/compensator before you put it on your featureless lower.