PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Company better than big company, but heard of much?

kAnJii
06-14-2012, 9:02 PM
I was wondering why when it comes to ARs, I hear alot of DDs, LMT, Colts, Noveske, just to name a few. But not too much of Mega, JP, maybe LaRue, just to name a very few. Is it the market or is it that usually the OP usually request the big names and your opinions?
Sorry I didn't add SW or Bushmaster or Stag...just using the higher end company names. I'm assuming the Mega and JP are in the Noveske, LMT, etc price range.

comblock
06-15-2012, 6:35 AM
Opening up a can of worms

lazyworm
06-15-2012, 6:52 AM
I think it's all due to market share, price point of their product and how much they put into advertising/marketing. And sometime rabid fans.

Hoop
06-15-2012, 6:59 AM
Depends on who you are talking to.

kAnJii
06-15-2012, 2:41 PM
That's what I am wondering. Long time AR guys and girls, would you still want the big companies AR or the smaller companies like JP, etc? Seems like everyone suggest a noob to get the big companies AR if they have the money, but very few would tell them to get a smaller company AR.

elsolo
06-15-2012, 2:45 PM
It's highly regional and akin to fashion.
What's popular on Calguns is crap elsewhere, and vise versa.
If they shipped without logos, half the most ardent brand-loyalists wouldn't know which was which.

joker70
06-15-2012, 2:53 PM
Sometimes the small company has a niche in the world of ARs. JP made his name in precision shooting. Since most people are getting into the AR platform for home defense or tactical carbine you won't have as many inquiries about his rifles.

kAnJii
06-15-2012, 3:05 PM
Sometimes the small company has a niche in the world of ARs. JP made his name in precision shooting. Since most people are getting into the AR platform for home defense or tactical carbine you won't have as many inquiries about his rifles.

Yes, I read a bit more on the JP rifles. Precision all the way. But would probably do well when all hell breaks loose, right?

pinoy916
06-15-2012, 6:46 PM
All those brands are ALL great brands! JP is a great brand. Larue is a great brand. Theres a ton of great brand but its what is talked about the most in the state of CA.
Alexander Arms - USA
ADCOR BEAR - ONE OF THE BEST PISTONS!
American Spirit Arms
ArmaLite - USA
Barrett Firearms Manufacturing - USA
Bushmaster Firearms International - USA
Charles Daly firearms
Colt's Manufacturing Company - USA
Colt Canada (previously Diemaco) - CAN
DPMS Panther Arms - USA
Heckler and Koch - GER
High Standard Manufacturing Company
JP
Knight's Armament Company - USA
Larue
Les Baer
Lewis Machine and Tool Company - USA
LWRCI /Land Warfare Resources Corporation International
Norinco - CHN
Olympic Arms
Para-USA/Para-Ordnance
Remington Arms - USA
Rock River Arms
Primary Weapons Systems - I LOVE THEIR PISTONS!
Sabre Defence/Manroy USA - ONE OF THE BEST RIFLES AND BARRELS!
Sig Sauer - SWI
Smith & Wesson - USA
Stag Arms
Sturm, Ruger
Wilson Combat
Z-M Weapons

Merc1138
06-15-2012, 7:06 PM
Yes, I read a bit more on the JP rifles. Precision all the way. But would probably do well when all hell breaks loose, right?

Probably, but not every manufacturer is making the same thing(well, a lot of them are but I'm going to make a point in a second).

Not everyone wants a brake, not everyone wants a piston gun, some people want things built as standard as you can get, others want different barrel profiles and adjustable gas blocks, some people want different triggers, etc.

Yes, most of the companies pinoy916 listed make standard stuff. However some people want specific parts that leave only a couple of choices, others don't want to assemble things(you can build an AR with parts from 20 different companies, some people don't want that), and of course others are after a brand name as if it were their favorite sports team.

Then you have to consider what forum you're on. Go to a forum about three gun, and you'll see people discussing different brands than a forum about precision shooting.